Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 19-11-2016, 16:54   #1276
Captain_Smith
cf.member

Captain_Smith is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Yes, both the old and new TiVo remotes operate the V6.
Brilliant!! Many thanks for the quick response.

Cliff
Captain_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-11-2016, 17:32   #1277
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I hope to get the V6 in December.

I have taken the precaution of listing all the recordings I have on my existing Tivo, and which episode of each I am up to, so that I will be able to put measures in place to re-record the stuff I haven't had an opportunity to watch yet, or alternatively to use the on demand services available to watch them.

It is handy that there is a facility available to transfer series links and wish lists, but not the end of the world for me if that arrangement fails. I can just use the list I have drawn up, and ensure I pick up any new series from the TV magazine.

I think we rely too much on the technology these days: always good to have a backup plan!
A very wise thing to do OB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
At least your box is fast now so it shouldn't take you long to get it all done
I had over 400 though!

A lot are Radio 4 stuff and I can't remember them all.

Quote:
Yes, both the old and new TiVo remotes operate the V6.
I'm glad that this was asked as it reminded me of something that might be significant.

When the engineer installed my V6, he asked if I had my old remote control to hand. When I passed it to him thinking he'd want to take it to go with the old box, he just wanted to show me the size difference between the two and said that I could keep the old one as a spare.

Was anyone else with a V6 told that they could keep their old remote control?

I'm wondering if they're going to phase out the old remotes in favour of the new smaller one for all TiVo's and V6's??

Unless they do actually intend on eventually converting everyone over to a V6, so have no need for the remotes? I guess they have to take back the boxes themselves under the electrical recycling regulations.

I tell you what, the six tuners are even more convenient than I thought they would be.

It now means that there are hardly any clashes, so there is no need to reschedule recordings, which in turn means that there is extra capacity available to prevent future clashes.

When there is a clash, because it has six tuners, 99% of the time the +1 channel can do it instead, meaning that there is no longer a need to search for repeat showings.

It's now possible to get most programming in HD when this is available too.

Also, when watching live TV, it hardly ever has to use the tuner you're using and i've been able to turn padding back on for programmes outside peak times.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 17:44   #1278
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Was the same when I got my Sky Q. The main box comes with both an infra Red remote and a touch Blurtooth one. They leave you with both.

The wife prefers the Infra Red as it has real bottons for everything but I prefer the bluetooth as it as a touch pad and touch bar for play and pause/FF/RW features. That and I can use it with the doors to my media cupboard closed.

Some people might like the older one better due to the button layout for TiVo.
Old 19-11-2016, 18:18   #1279
Bananaman_007
Inactive

Bananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really nice

Are they giving these to existing customers? My brothers TIVO is very slow, they are due a negotiation as have been out of contract for 2 years now so want to see if i can get their TIVOs changed offer as part of an offer to stay.
Bananaman_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 19:41   #1280
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Not yet as it isn;t officially available till after the press event at the end of November.
Old 20-11-2016, 10:42   #1281
octet
Inactive

octet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You might not need the app on the V6, it may already be on your new TV.
TV delivered yesterday, you're right, watched Grand Tour on Amazon Prime with the App on the TV, absolutely superb!
octet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 11:36   #1282
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by octet View Post
TV delivered yesterday, you're right, watched Grand Tour on Amazon Prime with the App on the TV, absolutely superb!
Glad you are happy. I must admit when I recently bought a new smart TV I didn't fully appreciate the advance of having the Netflix, Amazon and YouTube apps on the tv. I thought it was a gimmick but now I use them all the time to access 4K content. YouTube have some stunning content.

Lets hope that the iPlayer and other TV apps follow suit and include 4K content.

Enjoy!
fixerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 11:56   #1283
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by octet View Post
The UHD picture quality of The Grand Tour is brilliant.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 13:08   #1284
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixerman View Post
Glad you are happy. I must admit when I recently bought a new smart TV I didn't fully appreciate the advance of having the Netflix, Amazon and YouTube apps on the tv. I thought it was a gimmick but now I use them all the time to access 4K content. YouTube have some stunning content.

Lets hope that the iPlayer and other TV apps follow suit and include 4K content.

Enjoy!
The BBC have confirmed that they will be using the iPlayer for their 4K content.
Old 20-11-2016, 14:51   #1285
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The UHD picture quality of The Grand Tour is brilliant.
Agreed - just watched it on Amazon Prime 4K.

Enjoyable, as always.

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The BBC have confirmed that they will be using the iPlayer for their 4K content.
tbf, what they have actually said is
Quote:
Can I watch Planet Earth II in 4K/UHD on BBC iPlayer?

No, it's not possible to watch Planet Earth II in 4K / Ultra HD on BBC iPlayer.

It is available to watch on in High Definition (HD) on BBC iPlayer via capable TV devices and computers.

The BBC does not have any plans for a broadcast 4K / UHD channel but is exploring UHD on BBC iPlayer.

Alternatively, you can watch Planet Earth II in HD when broadcast on your television via all digital TV platforms.

Was this helpful?
http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...lanet_earth_4k
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 15:00   #1286
musicbravo
Inactive

Services: Virgin v+ xl TV Virgin M Broadband and phone
musicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these parts

Just been on virgin tv anywhere website and gone to manage my devices I now have 2 devices appearing. However I only have one tivo box + a v+ HD. Could this mean i have a v6 awaiting dispatch (Have signed up for v6 pre register)?
musicbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 15:06   #1287
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

No, what you are seeing is the much reported phantom TiVo box. Sorry.
PS The V6 is worth waiting for.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 15:40   #1288
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbravo View Post
Just been on virgin tv anywhere website and gone to manage my devices I now have 2 devices appearing. However I only have one tivo box + a v+ HD. Could this mean i have a v6 awaiting dispatch (Have signed up for v6 pre register)?
Quote:
No, what you are seeing is the much reported phantom TiVo box. Sorry.
PS The V6 is worth waiting for.
I appear to have a phantom box too.

Has everyone with a V6 only got 1TB like myself?

Nothing has been mentioned about the 2TB that was rumoured to be coming.

I would have preferred one of these, but didn't want to sound ungrateful as it was provided at no cost.

Having only had the V6 for three days and having watched some recordings, i've used 25% of the HDD already!

I guess this is the downside of having 6 tuners as it enables me to record more HD broadcasts and first transmissions as opposed to having to push them back.

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Agreed - just watched it on Amazon Prime 4K.

Enjoyable, as always.

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

tbf, what they have actually said is

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...lanet_earth_4k
Actually, you're right, they haven't actually confirmed it, but I think that it will come to pass.

Due to restricted bandwidth being available on DTT and the high cost of broadcasting 4K content, I can't see how else they can do it.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...D-video-launch
Old 20-11-2016, 16:59   #1289
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I appear to have a phantom box too.

Has everyone with a V6 only got 1TB like myself?

Nothing has been mentioned about the 2TB that was rumoured to be coming.

I would have preferred one of these, but didn't want to sound ungrateful as it was provided at no cost.

Having only had the V6 for three days and having watched some recordings, i've used 25% of the HDD already!

I guess this is the downside of having 6 tuners as it enables me to record more HD broadcasts and first transmissions as opposed to having to push them back.
Christ, Richard! What on Earth are you recording to have used 25% of your hard drive on three days?

No wonder your last Tivo gave up the ghost!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 17:02   #1290
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Christ, Richard! What on Earth are you recording to have used 25% of your hard drive on three days?

No wonder your last Tivo gave up the ghost!
Lol, I think it's also because it's recording things that I've already seen as it no longer has the list in 'Deleted recordings' to cross reference with.

When I get time I'm going to try to sift out any that i've already seen.