Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock
Closed Thread

Old 16-01-2012, 17:21   #181
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Closing date around April it may be dependent on how many staff are left as the must be a minimum requirement to viably open the centre.

The are plenty of jobs in the Liverpool and surrounding area and some less than half a mile from the Albert Dock, the is about the same amount of unemployment here as elsewhere in the country.
I must admit that I haven't looked into this in much detail, I had assumed that Liverpool was a deprived area with high unemployment.

If there are plenty of jobs in/near Liverpool, ex VM staff may find themselves getting a payout from VM, then walking into a new job straight away
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2012, 17:41   #182
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I must admit that I haven't looked into this in much detail, I had assumed that Liverpool was a deprived area with high unemployment.

If there are plenty of jobs in/near Liverpool, ex VM staff may find themselves getting a payout from VM, then walking into a new job straight away
That is the old view which is nowadays quite incorrect, if you go down to the Albert Dock the is about 20 hotels within a half mile radius and quite a few call centres in the City Centre plus many in the surrounding areas including at least 3 high street banks.

That is just a small amount of employment opportunities in the locality.
Old 16-01-2012, 18:31   #183
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Try driving out of town at 5pm or getting the train. Nightmare.
Old 16-01-2012, 20:08   #184
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Try driving out of town at 5pm or getting the train. Nightmare.
Oh yes as the is plenty of work in the City and the outskirts, just not as many factories as people have diversified greatly over the years and found alternative employment in other industries.
Old 17-01-2012, 17:15   #185
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

So would it be fair to say that staff are more upset at not being able to work for VM anymore, rather than the actual loss of their job (as there are many alternatives available)?

Even if this is the case, it can be a bit of a disruption eg having to learn new processes, get to know new people etc.

Are incentive payments* being offered for staff to stay until the end, or is it just winding down naturally?

*Many employers offer this to prevent staff finding other jobs and leaving before a workplace is due to close, which causes operational difficulties. Obviously, employees want something in return to stop them "jumping ship" too early to secure their own future.
Old 17-01-2012, 17:37   #186
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
So would it be fair to say that staff are more upset at not being able to work for VM anymore, rather than the actual loss of their job (as there are many alternatives available)?

Even if this is the case, it can be a bit of a disruption eg having to learn new processes, get to know new people etc.
I for one am not in the least bit upset as it is only a job, my life is more important than a job and the are many jobs to choose from but I am not overly bothered how quickly I get one.

We do not work for Virgin Media as we are employed by an agency as with most companies of this type nowadays.

You do realise that we cannot talk about company sensitive information such as your other question.
Old 18-01-2012, 15:34   #187
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Yes, many companies outsource things like call centres these days. Of course, they still control things at arms length, but, if there are any problems/complaints it will be "nothing to do with us, go and talk to your employer"!

I didn't realise that incentive payments were subject to a confidentiality clause, so you are right not to comment.

Are there any alternative jobs going with the agency who may have contracts with other companies in the area?

Something else to consider is that staff who leave will lose their special deals for VM products. Still, I know of people who are still getting them years after having left!

If anyone loses theirs, I would inform HMRC ASAP, as I believe this benefit is taxable.

Speaking of which, my own self assessment is due before the end of this month :-(
Old 18-01-2012, 18:43   #188
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Yes, many companies outsource things like call centres these days. Of course, they still control things at arms length, but, if there are any problems/complaints it will be "nothing to do with us, go and talk to your employer"!

I didn't realise that incentive payments were subject to a confidentiality clause, so you are right not to comment.

Are there any alternative jobs going with the agency who may have contracts with other companies in the area?

(
If you take a job with Adecco you are not being made redundant so any offer of employment would not be good if you are hoping a redundancy payout, many companies are now aware of the closure so they will be looking to our office to fill their vacancies.
Old 21-01-2012, 15:28   #189
Peter_
Permanently Banned

This could some good news for CWU members at the Albert Dock and reason enough to continue their union membership.

Former Woolworths workers 'get £67m compensation'

Quote:
The shopworkers union Usdaw has said it has won compensation of up to £67m for more than 24,000 former Woolworths workers, made redundant when the retailer collapsed at the end of 2008.
Old 21-01-2012, 15:45   #190
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Quote:
This could some good news for CWU members at the Albert Dock and reason enough to continue their union membership.

That not bad, an average of £2900 each.
Old 21-01-2012, 15:59   #191
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Any payments made to former Woolworths staff through this scheme will ultimately come from the National Insurance Fund ie the fund that we pay into to meet the cost of non means tested social security benefits.
Old 21-01-2012, 16:01   #192
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Any payments made to former Woolworths staff through this scheme will ultimately come from the National Insurance Fund ie the fund that we pay into to meet the cost of non means tested social security benefits.
That will not apply above though so a separate issue.
Old 21-01-2012, 16:41   #193
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:

Thats very good news about the woolies workers and yes its still worth paying into your union.

I just hope the "freeloaders" who often boast about not paying into a union but getting the benefits are too embarassed to accept the money the union has won.

Old 21-01-2012, 16:57   #194
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
Thats very good news about the woolies workers and yes its still worth paying into your union.

I just hope the "freeloaders" who often boast about not paying into a union but getting the benefits are too embarassed to accept the money the union has won.:erm:
That's a ridiculous statement - calling non union members "freeloaders" and wishing them less well than union members.

People have their reasons for not joining unions and in this case, Woolies going bust was prolly the last thing on one's mind when coming to that decision.

And while we're on the subject of unions and paying into them, see the RMT union's top bod pension arrangements for details. "The working class can lick my arse I've got an f-off pension at last".

My advice is at your risk.
Old 21-01-2012, 17:27   #195
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Mine will continue, don't you worry about that

Companies can't go around breaking employment law and get away with it.

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post

I just hope the "freeloaders" who often boast about not paying into a union but getting the benefits are too embarassed to accept the money the union has won.
Usually only the union members will get this payment.
Closed Thread