Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | virgin media have run a cable up my wall

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

virgin media have run a cable up my wall
View Poll Results: can virgin media run a cable up my wall for another property
I think this is illegal 44 72.13%
I think it's ok 6 9.84%
I don't know 11 18.03%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-06-2008, 16:53   #31
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads
Re: virgin media have run a cable up my wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleguy View Post
Jonnymeg I imagined the boundaries as you've illustrated them, if this is the case (Emma will need to confirm) then technically it could be claimed the cable runs up the party wall.
I don't see how that can be the case as the vertical bit is not a party wall as it does not border the neighbour.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2008, 17:22   #32
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnymeg View Post
I don't see how that can be the case as the vertical bit is not a party wall as it does not border the neighbour.
Quite right IMO, there is no way in which that can be said to be the party wall. It's *close* to the party wall alright, but it's *not* the party wall.

I suspect the tech who did that install would have probably convinced himself that it was the party wall though, I expect that's how he justified this bodge-up to himself.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 17:52   #33
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light

who's wall is the boundary wall? The boundary wall has cable running up the centre of its end. Imagine if the wall facing us was demolished, leaving only the boundary wall, I think you'd understand where I'm coming from.

To avoid controversy I think the tech could have run the cable differently.

Without looking at the deeds and getting a lawyer's involved I couldn't say who right and who's wrong. I just don't think Emma has a strong case.
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 18:56   #34
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

If the cable is on your property and you did not give permission for it to be there then you have every right to remove it.

BUT what I would do is write to VM (recorded delivery) giving them 7 days to remove the cable and to repair the wall, stating that if the work isn't done within seven days that you will remove it and seek damages for the work needed to repoint the brickwork.

After 7 days remove the cable fastenings and if possible place the cable outside of your property (just leave it lying on the floor will do) and then in small claims court put in a claim against them for court costs and repointing (builders costs not just the materials) of repairing the damage.

That's what I would do...

Kymmy
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 21:11   #35
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
who's wall is the boundary wall? The boundary wall has cable running up the centre of its end. Imagine if the wall facing us was demolished, leaving only the boundary wall, I think you'd understand where I'm coming from.

To avoid controversy I think the tech could have run the cable differently.

Without looking at the deeds and getting a lawyer's involved I couldn't say who right and who's wrong. I just don't think Emma has a strong case.
The wall is the end of her building, i don't think it is a garden wall. It that wall was demolished so would be the party wall as it is all part of her extension.
Old 29-06-2008, 21:38   #36
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light

I think this is more a boundary dispute than a VM issue. I'll leave it to the experts.

Jonnymeg what makes you think its Emma wall? We don't know!!!!! We don't know the details of her deeds!!!!!! We don't even know if its a boundary wall!!!!!. We're not ignorant....we just dont know all the facts (pun before you correct me)

I think we can't offer advise on this matter, there's too much grey area.

Emma needs to clarify some issues and questions.
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 21:50   #37
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Quote:
I think this is more a boundary dispute than a VM issue. I'll leave it to the experts.
How can that be? There was no dispute until VM came along.

Quote:
Jonnymeg what makes you think its Emma wall? We don't know!!!!! We don't know the details of her deeds!!!!!! We don't even know if its a boundary wall!!!!!. We're not ignorant....we just dont know all the facts (pun before you correct me)
She has already told us it is the end of her extension. It is her house. She has also told us that in her deeds there is not clause that allows such actions.
Old 01-07-2008, 17:39   #38
isismcbank
Inactive

isismcbank is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Some better photos, the wall is close to the party wall but is not the party wall, thanks jonnymeg your description os spot on. Still waiting for a reply from vm will let you know as soon as.
isismcbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 17:46   #39
isismcbank
Inactive

there is no clause in my deeds, the cable has been run up my back wall and drilled into to the attach the cable, it is not the boundary wall which is down the side.
Old 01-07-2008, 17:55   #40
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I can't see any justification for the cable being on your back wall. As for the run down the side wall towards your neighbour's house, well I think any argument about whether that is a party wall, for the purposes of the Party Walls Act, is probably pointless, it's as near as dammit on the boundary and you'd have a hard time proving otherwise. I think the cable running down the side is there to stay, but the totally ugly job up the back, with the trunking and the wobbly black exposed cable is another matter - that shouldn't be there, and I reckon you should be able to get VM to sit up and pay attention if you inform them you will be removing it yourself in 14 days if they haven't arrangemed to do it to your satisfaction.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 18:42   #41
soup dragon
Inactive

Services: XL BB, XL TV, V+
soup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of society

looks to a bit of a bodge job anyway, doesn't any one take pride in their work any more? the cable should be perpendicular and secured in a way that it can't get caught by something accidentally and pulled off!
soup dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 18:43   #42
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by isismcbank View Post
there is no clause in my deeds, the cable has been run up my back wall and drilled into to the attach the cable, it is not the boundary wall which is down the side.
That cable should have been taken from the tee and clipped low down along the party wall. There is absolutely no reason why that cable should go up first and then round the corner.

That is a ***** install and if it were my house it would be off the wall by now!
Old 10-07-2008, 18:25   #43
isismcbank
Inactive

Hi,
Just to let you know, that VM rang me today and said they had looked at the cable and would be removing it and would put the wall back to how it was, Thank you for all your advice it was most helpfull, goes to show that these companies do not like being threatened with legal action,

Emma.
Old 10-07-2008, 18:33   #44
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Nice one, glad it's getting sorted
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 18:35   #45
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by isismcbank View Post
Hi,
Just to let you know, that VM rang me today and said they had looked at the cable and would be removing it and would put the wall back to how it was, Thank you for all your advice it was most helpfull, goes to show that these companies do not like being threatened with legal action,

Emma.
Excellent news.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote