Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | virgin media have run a cable up my wall

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

virgin media have run a cable up my wall
View Poll Results: can virgin media run a cable up my wall for another property
I think this is illegal 44 72.13%
I think it's ok 6 9.84%
I don't know 11 18.03%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-06-2008, 17:22   #16
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads
Re: virgin media have run a cable up my wall

I am struggling to see why, with a terraced property, the need would arise for them to run the cable on your house.
Can you post some photos of the layout so we can see?

As a rule we would never do this unless there was no other access. IE: you live in a first floor flat where the cables have to run upwards over the neighbours property below.

If there is clearly another way for the cable to run i would rip it off the wall and tell them to sue you!
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-06-2008, 20:24   #17
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Remove it after first taking photos of it in situ then photos after you have removed it and tell the local paper they enjoy stories like this one.
Old 26-06-2008, 20:33   #18
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society

Even I would just remove it, I would go mental! - We certainly do not have the right to lay cable wherever we wish!
WHISTLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 21:08   #19
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light

Emma

may I suggest you have a chat with your neighbor. Explain your not happy and request to talk to the people your neighbor has dealt with at VM. You should have signed a wayleaf granting permission.

Having someone else's cable running over your property is not ideal, If you put on an extension or make any alterations to your property, you may subsequently damage the cable, cutting off your neighbors VM services (sounds like they might be the type that get cut off for not paying their bill lol). Leaving the question of who is responsible for the repair, VM, your neighbor or you???

cheers
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 10:59   #20
mr,m
Inactive

Services: VM XL V+ TV 10MBIT BB VM PHONE
mr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nice

I live in a flat,the old Telewest installed cable during the build,so no cabling is visible.Part of our covenants state that no outside cabling is allowed.
One neighbour took things into his own hands and had sky installed,his dish and cabling was on his own wall but he was forced to have it removed and any damage put right,which he did.
It may be worth having a lawer check for any such restrictions on your building.
mr,m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 19:58   #21
isismcbank
Inactive

isismcbank is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Photos will be on tomorrow I left the damn camara at work,

Em.
isismcbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 14:53   #22
isismcbank
Inactive

As you can see there was no need to run it up my wall, it could have just gone round the corner and up the wall that ajoins there property.
Old 28-06-2008, 23:19   #23
jungleguy
Inactive

jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light

lousy builder who built that wall, really bad workmanship.

Sorry its not clear. what's your property and what's their property?

cheers
Old 28-06-2008, 23:19   #24
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It looks to me like they've come up your wall because otherwise they'd have to have dug the pavement and laid ducting up to your neighbour's gate, although your photos are a bit close-up so it's difficult to tell for certain.

Perhaps someone who works from VM can advise on this - when CSRs pull up case notes on screen will anything have been said about what was necessary in order to complete the install? It seems to me that a manager would have a good reason to spin a line about them being able to do whatever they like with cable, if he could see that the install would have been difficult otherwise.

Seeing as it looks like this has been done for the convenience of the installer, and your neighbour, and without any permission from you; and assuming that we now have the full facts, namely that the wall in the photo is exclusively yours and there are no wayleaves granted over it that might have allowed your neighbour to do this; then I think you should first of all talk to your neighbour, explain how you feel and that you are going to insist that VM come and move it, and that you will physically remove it from your property if they don't do it themselves, and after that, inform VM by recorded delivery letter of what you intend to do.

I would add that, for the sake of keeping the peace, should you have to remove the cable yourself, you should attempt to do so without breaking it. It should be possible to unpin it from your wall and leave it completely loose (you might have fun yanking that plastic trunking off, mind you, but it should be possible).

That way, it's not on your property and your neighbour still has cable TV. But seeing as it will now be obstructing the highway, you could call the council and make a complaint ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 00:10   #25
isismcbank
Inactive

Thanks Chris T, I totally agree with your points, all they had to do was ask I the property owner have the deeds and full rights to the wall in question, It would have been not much of a problem for vm to run the cable a slight bit round and up the party wall. For Jungleguy the extension was built in the 60`s so building standards have changed, and the property that is mine is the picture without the gate, the picture with the gate most showing is where the next door neighbours property starts.

I will change the picture so you see it front ways up.

---------- Post added at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was at 00:09 ----------

I will do pics not as close up,

Thank you,

Emma.
Old 29-06-2008, 09:37   #26
jungleguy
Inactive

I was only trying to funny about the brick work.

what would be useful is a pic of where in the road the cable comes our of (also known as a swept T) Also where your property is in relation to your neighbor including the cable.

If the wall facing us in the pic is yours, and the wall running down the side is one side of the boundary edge. the other side of the boundary would be over the wall. Then technically it could be claimed that the cable runs up the boundary edge. My limited understanding is that a boundary is not a thin line, it has a width.

Its just not clear what's what in your pics
Old 29-06-2008, 09:46   #27
isismcbank
Inactive

Hi,
Will get better pics tomorrow my back wall is the one where the cable is in the plastic pipe thing it then goes round the corner over her gate along her wall then through a window. The cable is near to the edge about 4" from it,

Thanku,

Emma
Old 29-06-2008, 09:59   #28
jungleguy
Inactive

where's the boundary between the 2 properties?
Old 29-06-2008, 11:30   #29
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

it is hard to get a full picture of the situation with that image but i am guessing this is the case:

If this is correct i would be very ****ed off as the is no reason why this couldn't have bee done a better way.
The cable could have come out of the ground low down, run along the party wall low down and been out of sight.

Does the cable run over that gate?

If so i would either take it off myself or get the neighbour to do it.

Virgin could put a tee further along the road outside the neighbour property or run the cable as i suggested.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 12:11   #30
jungleguy
Inactive

Jonnymeg I imagined the boundaries as you've illustrated them, if this is the case (Emma will need to confirm) then technically it could be claimed the cable runs up the party wall.