Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | sim only pay monthly recommendations

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

sim only pay monthly recommendations

Old 28-05-2015, 00:05   #16
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: sim only pay monthly recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I never said the same experience. I said they use the same network.

But for the record they use the same frequency bands, the same backhaul networks, and the same network management. Which would be quite clear if you read the links I posted earlier.

Because they calculate coverage differently and because you are looking at completely different types of map to what we're talking about. OFCOM are the only party that has coverage maps for all the networks computed using the criteria. Again, read the link I posted earlier if you want to see coverage maps you can actually make direct comparisons with.

Quit trying to move the goalposts and wiggle out of this.
You said:

Quote:
OFCOM's tests show 3 to be the slowest network in the UK.
Strange that given your statement:
Quote:
for the record they use the same frequency bands, the same backhaul networks, and the same network management
and
Quote:
Except they'll have the same 3G coverage as 3.
I showed you that their coverage can be very different. It's the end user experience that counts. I believe the real world and not OFCOM. Just accept you're wrong
Old 28-05-2015, 13:53   #17
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Wittmann's back I see...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 14:56   #18
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Wittmann's back I see...
Where?

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
My contract is up in a couple of months and I'm gonna keep my phone (Note 3) but looking for a sim only contract, rolling month, with around 500 mins, 500 texts and unlimited data for no more than £20pm.
Found carphone warehouse ID, unlimited on all 3 but it's on 3 and signal in my part of the world is pretty bad on 3.
Any other recommendation's.
I would get a PAYG SIM card from Vodafone, O2 and EE (or one of the operators using EE's network) and see how the signal & connection is for each in your area. Let us know the results if you do this?
Old 29-05-2015, 10:36   #19
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
You said:
You really have no idea how the MBNL MORAN works do you?

I suggest you go back and re-read my posts again as you've clearly misunderstood the meanings of "speed" "coverage" and "network".

Quote:
It's the end user experience that counts. I believe the real world and not OFCOM. Just accept you're wrong
Let's see here. OFCOM's job is to regulate the industry to ensure good end user experience.

Given the choice of believing OFCOM or you...

OFCOM:
- Has technical information on the location and capabilities of every mobile transmitter in the UK
- Regulates how they operate
- Is responsible for ensuring network coverage meets requirements
- Receives and responds to complaints figures for all networks
- Performs scientific testing of all networks' coverage and performance

You:
- Doesn't understand the difference between "network" and "mast"
- Thinks he knows better than OFCOM because he's looked at his phone while driving around town.

Hmm.

You've been proven wrong three times then changed your story three times. Perhaps you should stop embarrassing yourself.
---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Wittmann's back I see...
Hah! I hadn't spotted the resemblance but now I see it
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 12:52   #20
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You really have no idea how the MBNL MORAN works do you?

I suggest you go back and re-read my posts again as you've clearly misunderstood the meanings of "speed" "coverage" and "network".

Let's see here. OFCOM's job is to regulate the industry to ensure good end user experience.

Given the choice of believing OFCOM or you...

OFCOM:
- Has technical information on the location and capabilities of every mobile transmitter in the UK
- Regulates how they operate
- Is responsible for ensuring network coverage meets requirements
- Receives and responds to complaints figures for all networks
- Performs scientific testing of all networks' coverage and performance

You:
- Doesn't understand the difference between "network" and "mast"
- Thinks he knows better than OFCOM because he's looked at his phone while driving around town.

Hmm.

You've been proven wrong three times then changed your story three times. Perhaps you should stop embarrassing yourself.
---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

[/COLOR]

Let me try and explain my point:

1. The OP wanted suggestion on an alternative mobile vendor to Three where which he says has poor coverage in his area

2. Matth suggested Delight mobile who is on EE

3. You said "they'll have the same 3G coverage as 3"

4. I said "EE will have different coverage to Three"

5. You then modified your position: "Their 3G coverage is becoming more and more similar by the day"

6. I said that in my real world experience they are different depending on where you go

7. You said "Your experience doesn't override the fact they use the same network"

8. I gave you a clear example on how there coverage can be drastically different

9. Even though you state that "they'll have the same 3G coverage as 3", "for the record they use the same frequency bands, the same backhaul networks, and the same network management" and "they use the same network", you contradicted yourself by then saying "OFCOM's tests show 3 to be the slowest network in the UK"

Quote:
I have not changed my story at all. I really don't know what your problem is with someone disagreeing with you.

From my experience and from the experience of the people I know, users of the Three and EE mobile networks get a significantly different end-user experience depending where they live and where they travel.

You and others can make as many snide comments as you like but it doesn't change what I and others have observed

and I will leave you with this thought: if you go to the OFCOM 3G coverage map and toggle between EE and Three why do you get different coverage in Wales, the South West. Northern England, Scotland, Northen Ireland, etc. for example?
Old 29-05-2015, 14:21   #21
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Let me try and explain my point:
You don't seem to have a point. All you seem to be doing is making up irrelevant references to stuff you don't understand to try make it seem your personal experience disproves scientifically conducted nationwide tests. And looking mighty foolish in the process.

Quote:
3. You said "they'll have the same 3G coverage as 3"
And they will. Perhaps I need to qualify every statement I make with "99.9% of the time".

Quote:
7. You said "Your experience doesn't override the fact they use the same network"
And yet you continued arguing.

Quote:
8. I gave you a clear example on how there coverage can be drastically different
No you did not.

Quote:
9. Even though you state that "they'll have the same 3G coverage as 3", "for the record they use the same frequency bands, the same backhaul networks, and the same network management" and "they use the same network", you contradicted yourself by then saying "OFCOM's tests show 3 to be the slowest network in the UK"
At no point does this statement contradict anything I've said.

Perhaps you're still failing to understand. I suppose I need to be 110% clear since you get confused by anything less. 3, EE, and MBNL are not the same thing. Network means different things in different contexts.

Network when referring to 3 is referring to 3 as mobile network operator. Network when referring to the RAN is referring to MBNL, the multiple operator RAN that 3 uses.

Quote:
I have not changed my story at all. I really don't know what your problem is with someone disagreeing with you.
Lets put it this way.

1) I said 3 will have the same coverage as EE. I failed to qualify it with "99.9% of the time".

2) You said their coverage differed in your experience.

3) I pointed out they use the same network

4) You asked for proof they use the same network

5) I gave you proof they use the same network

6) You ignore that proof and change your stance to talking about mast sharing and speeds instead

7) I point out they are not mast sharing and 3 has the lowest speeds according to OFCOM

8) You quote unscientific foreign data that shows 3 to be 2nd in an arbitrary, undisclosed measure of performance

9) I link data showing 3 has the lowest speeds according to OFCOM

10) You start saying speed is irrelevant, and you don't believe OFCOM.

11) I say I'd rather believe OFCOM than your personal experience.

12) You start talking about "end user experience" of people you know.

In this time you've banged on about "coverage", then you banged on about speeds instead, then you bang on about backhaul and frequencies, now you're trying to twist the argument into your "observed user experience" which nobody ever cared about in the first place.

Quote:
if you go to the OFCOM 3G coverage map and toggle between EE and Three why do you get different coverage in Wales, the South West. Northern England, Scotland, Northen Ireland, etc. for example?
Given that you seem intent on clutching on every straw you can find...

Seems that every time I post proven, undeniable facts, you start brandishing "personal experience" about something different while completely and utterly failing to address the matter at hand.

The minute differences come from the fact that 0.1% of Orange's legacy network had not yet been integrated into the MBNL MORAN or shut off at the time those maps were generated. The goal was to have less than 0.05% left by the end of 2014, but around 0.02% of all Orange masts will never be upgraded. There are other factors as well but I'm not going to list all 500 different phenomena that affect network performance every day just to quench your ignorance.
Old 29-05-2015, 14:41   #22
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

It's like deja vu.
Old 29-05-2015, 15:22   #23
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You don't seem to have a point. All you seem to be doing is making up irrelevant references to stuff you don't understand to try make it seem your personal experience disproves scientifically conducted nationwide tests. And looking mighty foolish in the process.

And they will. Perhaps I need to qualify every statement I make with "99.9% of the time".

And yet you continued arguing.

No you did not.

At no point does this statement contradict anything I've said.

Perhaps you're still failing to understand. I suppose I need to be 110% clear since you get confused by anything less. 3, EE, and MBNL are not the same thing. Network means different things in different contexts.

Network when referring to 3 is referring to 3 as mobile network operator. Network when referring to the RAN is referring to MBNL, the multiple operator RAN that 3 uses.

Lets put it this way.

1) I said 3 will have the same coverage as EE. I failed to qualify it with "99.9% of the time".

2) You said their coverage differed in your experience.

3) I pointed out they use the same network

4) You asked for proof they use the same network

5) I gave you proof they use the same network

6) You ignore that proof and change your stance to talking about mast sharing and speeds instead

7) I point out they are not mast sharing and 3 has the lowest speeds according to OFCOM

8) You quote unscientific foreign data that shows 3 to be 2nd in an arbitrary, undisclosed measure of performance

9) I link data showing 3 has the lowest speeds according to OFCOM

10) You start saying speed is irrelevant, and you don't believe OFCOM.

11) I say I'd rather believe OFCOM than your personal experience.

12) You start talking about "end user experience" of people you know.

In this time you've banged on about "coverage", then you banged on about speeds instead, then you bang on about backhaul and frequencies, now you're trying to twist the argument into your "observed user experience" which nobody ever cared about in the first place.

Given that you seem intent on clutching on every straw you can find...

Seems that every time I post proven, undeniable facts, you start brandishing "personal experience" about something different while completely and utterly failing to address the matter at hand.

The minute differences come from the fact that 0.1% of Orange's legacy network had not yet been integrated into the MBNL MORAN or shut off at the time those maps were generated. The goal was to have less than 0.05% left by the end of 2014, but around 0.02% of all Orange masts will never be upgraded. There are other factors as well but I'm not going to list all 500 different phenomena that affect network performance every day just to quench your ignorance.
Your bullying and arrogance is astounding

Maybe other users of this forum that use Three and an EE-based network can comment if they feel that they have 99.9% of the same coverage.

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 15:21 ----------

Quote:
It's like deja vu.
I see teacher's pet is back
Old 29-05-2015, 15:45   #24
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Your bullying and arrogance is astounding

Maybe other users of this forum that use Three and an EE-based network can comment if they feel that they have 99.9% of the same coverage.
Your ignorance and arrogance is astounding. Most people just admit they're wrong when faced with hard facts.

Maybe other users of this forum that understand how mobile networks work can comment if they feel your personal experience outweighs OFCOM's.

P.S. The plural of anecdote is not data.
Old 29-05-2015, 16:24   #25
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Your ignorance and arrogance is astounding. Most people just admit they're wrong when faced with hard facts.

Maybe other users of this forum that understand how mobile networks work can comment if they feel your personal experience outweighs OFCOM's.

P.S. The plural of anecdote is not data.
Must run in the blood...