Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 10Mb BB very slow after Connecting Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

10Mb BB very slow after Connecting Router

Old 13-01-2006, 10:58   #1
Ian Hunter
Inactive

Ian Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 10Mb BB very slow after Connecting Router

Hello All,

Just had a cable modem fitted - NTL: 250 - a blue one.

Did all of the setup - everything was good - excellent download speeds (c. 8Megs from a mirror site), and speed test 10,000 kb/s using robin walker tests.

Then went through the standard migration to using a LINKSYS BEFSR41 v.3 wired router, clone the MAC address etc etc etc.

Now it takes 60 seconds plus after selecting www.ntlworld.com or similar before the page starts to load. This means that surfing very tedious - but once there download speed ok.

Only one pc connected to router atm but 2 more to add once sorted. But have had two pc's on playing online games - and a definite time share is detectable. One fine, one frozen then the swap over.

Using mixture of WinXP and Windows 2000 - never had this problem when i was on 3Mb STB.

Any ideas or advice please?
Ian Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-01-2006, 11:42   #2
homealone

Re: 10Mb BB very slow after Connecting Router

hi

you shouldn't need to clone the MAC in the router for a stand alone cable modem, rebooting the modem, router & PC should be sufficient to pick up an IP.

Regarding the speed you could check that all the network connections are set to autosense, or manually set to 100Mb/s half duplex. (which the V3 router should support - the V2 doesn't)
Old 13-01-2006, 12:03   #3
Ian Hunter
Inactive

homealone,

Thanks for your advice.

Relatively certain that auto sense is set - but something to check. Have been reading other posts and articles - and have seen discussion on MTU, which i have not currently set.

Am also going to have a look at NAT - which is enable and NAT filtering which is not enabled as other options.

Am having a really bad week with NTL - the main reason for the SACM was that since the new year, my 3Mb service dropped to effectively 1Mb, via Samsung STB. Had repeated engineers out to check.

Got a feeling that it is either the router - gone U/S or something in Windows, as previously running SAFE MODE with networking (not through router) was giving me 7Mb - really good for the STB - but did not find this out until after had ordered the SACM.

Will have to try SAFE MODE + Network through the router to see if it is WINXP - but the other two machines (Windows 2000) - still have same problems.

The whole time sharing thing has only started since the SACM though.

Anyway thanks again - back to trying more things.

Cheers
Old 13-01-2006, 12:07   #4
homealone

no worries - let us know how you get on
Old 13-01-2006, 12:36   #5
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hunter
Hello All,

Just had a cable modem fitted - NTL: 250 - a blue one.

Did all of the setup - everything was good - excellent download speeds (c. 8Megs from a mirror site), and speed test 10,000 kb/s using robin walker tests.

Then went through the standard migration to using a LINKSYS BEFSR41 v.3 wired router, clone the MAC address etc etc etc.

Now it takes 60 seconds plus after selecting www.ntlworld.com or similar before the page starts to load. This means that surfing very tedious - but once there download speed ok.

Only one pc connected to router atm but 2 more to add once sorted. But have had two pc's on playing online games - and a definite time share is detectable. One fine, one frozen then the swap over.

Using mixture of WinXP and Windows 2000 - never had this problem when i was on 3Mb STB.

Any ideas or advice please?
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=31794
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 12:47   #6
andybarker
Inactive

andybarker is an unknown quantity at this point

The serious delay at the start of a page loading suggests a DNS issue to me. Is your PC set to use DHCP, or does it have a fixed IP? Is the DNS settings right on the PC / Router?
andybarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 17:46   #7
Ian Hunter
Inactive

Ok,

Have been on to LINKSYS - gee wizz that was fun. Have tried a second LINKSYS BEFRS41 V3 router, still the same.

Direct connection still good.

Tried updating firmware - to the even newer than the LINKSYS website version.

Am starting to wonder if the problem might be the incompatibility of the LINKSYS BEFRS41 V3 - with the current set up i have or SIGNAL strength/quality on the NTL.

DNS looks on using DHCP, so dynamic IP. No DNS server used within the router - can also give that a try. But when connected direct without router it is a surperbly quick connection.

May have to back to ICS for the short term, until i have (or u people) more ideas.
Old 13-01-2006, 21:24   #8
inviroman
Inactive

Services: 10 meg cable modem ntl 250
inviroman is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same router with a stb and used the set up wizzard cd to set up the router with no problems
inviroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2006, 00:44   #9
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze age
patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age

As homealone said, you don't actually need the CD for a SACM, as you don't need to clone the MAC. Even for an STB, it's probably just as easy (if the registration page is working...) to register the router's MAC when you connect as to clone your PC's MAC.

For Linksys routers (including a BEFSR41 v2) I've always found factory settings work fine.
patrickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2006, 10:06   #10
Ian Hunter
Inactive

Current status - have tried changing the following;

1. BEFSR41 V3 - two routers tried both the same.
2. Different PC's connected to routers - hence different cables, ethernet cards and ports on to the routers. Not to mention XP/Win2K.
3. Various MTU, DDNS, Dynamic Routing, MAC Clone Enable/Disable, Passthrough settings.
4. Firmware issues on routers.

Still getting slow page access, attempting to go to ntlworld.com - instantly says found page, opening page...... 30 seconds later the purple broders are visible - takes nearly 3 minutes to load page fully - instant if directly connected to modem.

An NTL engineer - i found a really really helpful one - could see that the signal strengths still fine and ping times to the router/sacm where good.

Only things left to change i can think of are the SACM itself, and the cable from SACM to the router - even though it is the same one i use for direct connection - only thing i can think of is the router is putting an impedance/resistance miss-match to the router, or there is a slight fault in the cable which the extra load of the router exploits.

Hey ho