Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 'Home Server'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

'Home Server'

Old 27-05-2008, 17:10   #1
vbnmu
Inactive

vbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about them
'Home Server'

Hi,

Am trying to set up a home server on my old W2K desktop. There are 2 laptops being used in the house, one running Vista Premium, the other XP Home.

The W2K machine has around 80GB of space, with 3 partitions, one of 65GB, 8GB and 10GB. I got the desktop for cheap and thought I'd use it for downloads using different download softwares and for temporary backup of my files (as the main backup is my externall HDD).

I now find it a pain to have to switch on the desktop whenever I want to download something. Am hoping there is a way to manage everything using my laptop, via the home server! I hope this made sense!

I can do basic networking, i.e access the files on the desktop while on my laptops but I want to be able to run programs that will download onto the desktop itself. And maybe even install them on the desktop while using the laptop!

Any help would be much appreciated. I probably didn't explain myself too well though!

Thank you
vbnmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-05-2008, 17:23   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 'Home Server'

Windows 2000 doesn't include Windows Remote Desktop client software as standard. You might be able to install it though, which would then allow some XP or Vista based clients (generally the pro versions) to remotely connect. You can then work on the computer remotely.

Alternatively, do a for VNC. this allows you to install server and client communications software which should do the job.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 17:26   #3
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

TightVNC is the fastest one i've used of the VNC softwares. And it's free
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 18:10   #4
vbnmu
Inactive

vbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about them

That was quick. And from the comments, it seems to be what am looking for! I failed to mention that I have W2K server. Does it help in any way?
Thank u all so much!
Old 27-05-2008, 18:13   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I used to run Windows Small Business Server 2000 which used Windows Server 2000 as it's base. I could connect to that using a Windows Remote Desktop, assuming I had a modern Windows version that included that software, so it could be worth a punt.
Old 27-05-2008, 18:22   #6
vbnmu
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I used to run Windows Small Business Server 2000 which used Windows Server 2000 as it's base. I could connect to that using a Windows Remote Desktop, assuming I had a modern Windows version that included that software, so it could be worth a punt.
Is Windows Remote Desktop the way forward or TightVNC? Since its my first forray into this, I am not too sure what to look for.
Old 27-05-2008, 18:34   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

They both do the same thing, remote desktop is just the windows version, which you may or may not have. If you have it, use it as it's already installed. If not then VNC will do the job but has to be installed.
Old 28-05-2008, 18:42   #8
vbnmu
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
They both do the same thing, remote desktop is just the windows version, which you may or may not have. If you have it, use it as it's already installed. If not then VNC will do the job but has to be installed.
Woohooo...success. I have it up and running. Struggled last night but that's because I ignored the obvious, that I need to allow the connection in my firewall. I was told about a cable that can be used to switch between two CPU, using a single screen. Will look into that and if its not expensive, I might even get one.
A last piece of advice, TightVNC or UltraVNC?

Thanks a lot everyone. Am excited at the prospects of having such an app.
Old 28-05-2008, 19:30   #9
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

TightVNC..

also not mentioned yet ,but if your just after by far the fastest 100Mbit/1gigabit remote network attached storage for a single windows machine, ISCSI is the thing to use as it runs at virtually full wirespeed.

the ISCSI mounted drives just appear to be local drives to the connected windows XP PC

one drive or software-Raid per machine and a copy of FreeNas should start you in the right direction.

see my other ISCSI /FreeNas posts
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/se...archid=2317258
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 19:30   #10
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

Cable to allow one screen to use 2 (or more) PCs, is a KVM swtich.
Old 28-05-2008, 22:15   #11
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

I prefer this vnc www.mlweb.co.uk/software/ and keep it on my server for easy access.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 05:52   #12
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
I prefer this vnc www.mlweb.co.uk/software/ and keep it on my server for easy access.
Tight VNC is built around it, and has a much better compression algorithm for added speed.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 21:46   #13
vbnmu
Inactive

Well I have got it up and running. And LOVING it! I now need to build around this new software. maybe put away my monitor n the computer desk.Its looking promising.
Any ideas how to make the CPU more silent without spending too much money?
Old 30-05-2008, 22:29   #14
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbnmu View Post
Well I have got it up and running. And LOVING it! I now need to build around this new software. maybe put away my monitor n the computer desk.Its looking promising.
Any ideas how to make the CPU more silent without spending too much money?
I use these coolers on my builds at the moment:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/105994

If there's a model suitable for your cpu, they're inexpensive and quiet.
(They're also HUGE so you need to check the space available)
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2008, 00:19   #15
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Services: 3 for £30 & I still pay 25p/min tech support?!?
7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
I use these coolers on my builds at the moment:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/105994

If there's a model suitable for your cpu, they're inexpensive and quiet.
(They're also HUGE so you need to check the space available)
If it's a Win2k machine I doubt it's Socket 775 - more likely a Socket 478 or older (assuming it's Intel) - but Arctic Cooling made coolers of a similar design for older processors and they were all cheap, efficient and pretty quiet. Akasa also made (and still do make) good budget coolers. For an old processor you'll probably have to go rummaging at a computer fair to find one though.
7@m3 G33k is offline   Reply With Quote