Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 'local only' via WGR614 wireless (Virgin Cable)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

'local only' via WGR614 wireless (Virgin Cable)

Old 27-03-2010, 17:34   #31
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 'local only' via WGR614 wireless (Virgin Cable)

There is nothing you can do except put an ethernet card in the old PC.

There are no USB modem drivers for Vista plus the USB connection doesn't support 10Mbit so you aren't getting the speed you should
Old 27-03-2010, 17:55   #32
jatwap
Inactive

jatwap is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, thanks all.
jatwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 19:37   #33
jatwap
Inactive

ok, so bought and fitted the NIC to the PC but can't get an internet connection via Ethernet either with or without wireless Netgear router attached!?!?...

To clarify setup further;
Cable broadband box on wall hard wired to black Motorola cable modem.
Ethernet cable from internet port on modem to internet port on Netgear wireless router
(USB cable from modem to PC now removed)
Ethernet cable from LAN port 1 on Netgear wireless router to PC NIC.

This doesn't allow me to get internet access on either the PC or via wireless on the laptop (local only).

The NIC has a solid green light and is installed fine but when connected via Ethernet the motorola modem doesn't light up the 'PC/Connectivity' light which does light when connected to the PC via USB cable (this indicates a possible faulty modem?)

If I take the Netgear wireless router out of the loop (and connect the internet port on the modem directly to the PC I still can't get an internet connection on the PC (page cannot be displayed) - again, there's no 'PC/Connectivity' light on the modem when connected like this.

If I take the Ethernet cable out of the modem completely and reconnect via USB from the modem to PC it illuminates the PC/Connectivity light and internet access is fine on the PC - but I'm unable to then get wireless access for the laptop as per post#31!!!!

The virgin guy said he would send out a replacement router but I'm not 100% sure this is going to sort it - anyone any ideas/suggestions?
Old 30-03-2010, 19:49   #34
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Whenever you change the device connected to your the cable modem, doesn't matter if it's swapping ethernet devices on if it's swapping from ethernet to USB(or vice versa) you need to power cycle you modem between equpment swaps.

1. Remove device from cable modem

2. Switch of cable modem for 30 seconds

3. Switch on cable modem and wait for lights to stabilise.

4. Connect and switch on the new piece of equipment.

Forget connecting by wireless for a while, save that for after you've got a stable wired connection.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 19:54   #35
jatwap
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon T View Post
Whenever you change the device connected to your the cable modem, doesn't matter if it's swapping ethernet devices on if it's swapping from ethernet to USB(or vice versa) you need to power cycle you modem between equpment swaps.

1. Remove device from cable modem

2. Switch of cable modem for 30 seconds

3. Switch on cable modem and wait for lights to stabilise.

4. Connect and switch on the new piece of equipment.

Forget connecting by wireless for a while, save that for after you've got a stable wired connection.
Thanks Jon T, I have power cycled (numerous times) and it doesn't make any difference - i.e. still not 'PC/Connectivity' light and no internet ;-( 100% sure it's not that.
Old 30-03-2010, 20:03   #36
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

If you've got no PC/Connectivity light then it means that the cable modem isn't detecting anything that it can "talk" to. You've tried connecting with the router via ethernet, and also with your newly installed network card. It's unlikely(although) possible that these are both faulty.

You can succesfully connect via USB to you cable modem.

I see too possibilities. Either, your cable modem's ethernet port is broken, or for some reason your modem is incapable of switching from one device to another, this is the process a power cycle is supposed to trigger.
Old 30-03-2010, 20:19   #37
jatwap
Inactive

Quote:
If you've got no PC/Connectivity light then it means that the cable modem isn't detecting anything that it can "talk" to. You've tried connecting with the router via ethernet, and also with your newly installed network card. It's unlikely(although) possible that these are both faulty.

You can succesfully connect via USB to you cable modem.

I see too possibilities. Either, your cable modem's ethernet port is broken, or for some reason your modem is incapable of switching from one device to another, this is the process a power cycle is supposed to trigger.
Ok, I concur with your logic so was willing to settle for replacment modem as the next step (especially since the power cycle didin't work). The only thing which is troubling me was the advice from the Virgin tech support folks I spoke to who "confirmed" that both the USB and Ethernet MAC addresses of my modem were registered and ought to be able to be used - I've still got a feeling that only the USB MAC address is registered, hence why it's not illuminating the PC/Connectivity light when connected via Ethernet. Ideally, I'd love someone from Virgin to confirm...
Old 30-03-2010, 20:23   #38
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatwap View Post
Ok, I concur with your logic so was willing to settle for replacment modem as the next step (especially since the power cycle didin't work). The only thing which is troubling me was the advice from the Virgin tech support folks I spoke to who "confirmed" that both the USB and Ethernet MAC addresses of my modem were registered and ought to be able to be used - I've still got a feeling that only the USB MAC address is registered, hence why it's not illuminating the PC/Connectivity light when connected via Ethernet. Ideally, I'd love someone from Virgin to confirm...
More likely a faulty ethernet port and we have not actually supported USB for over 3 years.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 20:30   #39
Jon T
cf.mega poster

The MAC address of the USB port and Ethernet port don't get registered as far as i'm aware. What does get registered is the address of the device connected to each port.

I would imagine that tech support should be able to see the MAC address of the device thats connected via the ethernet port, that's if everythings working. Did they ask to find the mac address of your PC/Router to see if it matched what they could see?
Old 30-03-2010, 21:17   #40
jatwap
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
More likely a faulty ethernet port and we have not actually supported USB for over 3 years.
Thanks

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

Quote:
The MAC address of the USB port and Ethernet port don't get registered as far as i'm aware. What does get registered is the address of the device connected to each port.

I would imagine that tech support should be able to see the MAC address of the device thats connected via the ethernet port, that's if everythings working. Did they ask to find the mac address of your PC/Router to see if it matched what they could see?
He said he couldn;t see the device connected but didn't ask for any mac address. Will see it new router makes any differnece, thanks.
Old 31-03-2010, 22:03   #41
jatwap
Inactive

Ok, so received replacement router, booted up but still no internet access. All the lights on the router are fine - power, ethernet, sync lights solid green and flashing 'ready' light (which is normal for this type of router) and green light on network card in PC yet still no internet. :-(

After yet another evening of wasted time on the phone to Virgin tech support India I finally got someone who did more than simply ask me to reboot and then hang up the phone on me. Basically, they asked me to check the MAC address of the new modem and said that they needed to update their records and it would be 24 hours before I was able to access the internet - are any of your Virgin staff able to confirm if this is valid and likely to solve the issue? - I can't do it anymore...
Old 31-03-2010, 22:06   #42
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Do you mean new router or new modem?

If it's a new modem then yes when you get it you need to give VM the new MAC address and it will be activated
Old 31-03-2010, 22:15   #43
jatwap
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Do you mean new router or new modem?

If it's a new modem then yes when you get it you need to give VM the new MAC address and it will be activated
Yeah, new modem - thanks. Out of interest, exactly why does it take 24 hours for this process to happen? - what is happening?
Old 31-03-2010, 22:18   #44
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

It usually doesn't take that long - could be they are some activation delays
Old 31-03-2010, 22:23   #45
jatwap
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It usually doesn't take that long - could be they are some activation delays
OK, cheers for that.