Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cutting a 10x8 image from larger picture

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cutting a 10x8 image from larger picture

Old 08-04-2024, 23:31   #1
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough
Cutting a 10x8 image from larger picture

I'm relatively new to this photography stuff and was wondering what's the best way of cutting a 10x8 section from a larger image as if I crop the image or resize it becomes distorted.

The Image editors at my disposal are Paint Shop Pro Ultimate 2022 and the latest version of Gimp.

Thanks.
Corey N Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2024, 07:49   #2
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: Cutting a 10x8 image from larger picture

I only use photoshop but the main thing is to crop to the correct aspect ratio you are printing to. In your case 5:4. Then print to that size. If you don’t crop to the right ratio then it’ll be distorted or won’t fit the frame.

What is the original photo ratio to start with? Usually you select the image and you get the marquee then around the whole photo. You then hold down shift and resize the marquee keeping the aspect ratio, the you crop what you need within that marquee.
Old 09-04-2024, 09:35   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

I have a much older version of PSP, but when you use the crop tool, it shows the aspect ratio in the bottom left corner. So drag the corner of the crop until it's both the section that you want and the correct aspect ratio.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 10:55   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I have a much older version of PSP,
I have a free copy of PSP6, but sadly it doesn't work in Win10.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 12:01   #5
newapollo
cf.addict

newapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey N Georgie View Post
I'm relatively new to this photography stuff and was wondering what's the best way of cutting a 10x8 section from a larger image as if I crop the image or resize it becomes distorted.

The Image editors at my disposal are Paint Shop Pro Ultimate 2022 and the latest version of Gimp.

Thanks.
Hi
You should be able to perform that using a free windows program called irfanview.
It's a great little all rounder that incorporates an image viewer, editor, organiser and converter program. You can also add text and shapes to images. It also plays music and video files.
https://www.irfanview.com/
newapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 21:30   #6
alanrogger007
cf.member

alanrogger007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, resizing can totally mess with the quality of the image. What I usually do is use the "select" tool to outline the part I want, copy it, and then paste it into a new file. That way, I keep the original image unchanged.
alanrogger007 is offline   Reply With Quote