Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 25-07-2015, 19:28   #976
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Not sure if this is the place to put my question but as this thread is about Windows 10 here goes. Apologies in advance if I use the wrong terminology and if the team want my questions in a separate thread I am more than happy for my post to be moved.

My laptop came with Windows 8.0 just before 8.1 was released and I updated without a problem using the windows store links. I have registered for the upgrade and assume the preliminary downloads are being sent to my laptop prior to my receiving the full copy.

Before I install Windows 10 is there any housekeeping I should do, I intend to run a full virus/malware sweep to make sure there is nothing nasty lurking about and thought I would also run CCleaner. Is there anything else you guys would recommend?

I use startisback and was wondering if I ought to disable this?

Also can any of you give me any other tips for a smoothish changeover to the new version.

I have been reading this thread with great interest but know my poor heart wouldn't be able to cope with doing anything resembling the tweaking you guys seem to have been doing, so once I have done all I can ... I just want to be able to press 'install' and then close my eyes tightly when I decide to do the deed.
Old 25-07-2015, 19:28   #977
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

My laptop BSOD when I booted it this morning - I hope it's not a sign of things to come.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 19:47   #978
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Not sure if this is the place to put my question but as this thread is about Windows 10 here goes. Apologies in advance if I use the wrong terminology and if the team want my questions in a separate thread I am more than happy for my post to be moved.

My laptop came with Windows 8.0 just before 8.1 was released and I updated without a problem using the windows store links. I have registered for the upgrade and assume the preliminary downloads are being sent to my laptop prior to my receiving the full copy.

Before I install Windows 10 is there any housekeeping I should do, I intend to run a full virus/malware sweep to make sure there is nothing nasty lurking about and thought I would also run CCleaner. Is there anything else you guys would recommend?

I use startisback and was wondering if I ought to disable this?

Also can any of you give me any other tips for a smoothish changeover to the new version.

I have been reading this thread with great interest but know my poor heart wouldn't be able to cope with doing anything resembling the tweaking you guys seem to have been doing, so once I have done all I can ... I just want to be able to press 'install' and then close my eyes tightly when I decide to do the deed.
I don't expect issues for you when upgrading to 10, but i would disable 'Startisback' so it doesn't messing with Windows 10s new start menu until you know if you want to use it or not.

I haver personally clean installed as well as upgraded Windows 10 and the whole process goes well each time, just backup what you don't want to lose like photos important docs etc incase things do go pear shaped!

I am loving Windows 10, even Sirius loves it and that is really saying something as he hated Windows 8.1 with a passion!
Old 25-07-2015, 19:55   #979
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I don't expect issues for you when upgrading to 10, but i would disable 'Startisback' so it doesn't messing with Windows 10s new start menu until you know if you want to use it or not.

I haver personally clean installed as well as upgraded Windows 10 and the whole process goes well each time, just backup what you don't want to lose like photos important docs etc incase things do go pear shaped!

I am loving Windows 10, even Sirius loves it and that is really saying something as he hated Windows 8.1 with a passion!
you got to upgrade first though before you can clean uninstall
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 20:13   #980
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
you got to upgrade first though before you can clean uninstall
That is true, but what i meant was i upgraded and kept everything as well as chose not to keep my stuff the first time too.
Old 27-07-2015, 16:27   #981
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Microsoft releases a tool to block automatic updates in Windows 10.

We should have been able to do this like in other versions of Windows in my opinion from the start!

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...ws-10-updates/
Old 27-07-2015, 20:56   #982
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Just realised I cant get windows 10, bought a key from reddit for windows 8 and gave away my windows 7 cd
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 22:18   #983
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Just realised I cant get windows 10, bought a key from reddit for windows 8 and gave away my windows 7 cd
If you have a legit copy of 8 then upgrade it to 8.1 then to 10 for free?

Alternatively when windows insiders is available again soon then get that then stay in the insiders program which means you get 10 for free?
Old 27-07-2015, 23:48   #984
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
if it 8.0 go to store update to 8.1 then get 10
Old 28-07-2015, 08:07   #985
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

doh, ive just put on 8.1 now and upgrade has shown up, thanks
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 05:39   #986
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Windows 10 is now released, some users may even have downloaded it in the background through Windows update and just need to install.

There is also an official Windows 10 ISO download page, I am guessing I can install this using my existing Windows 8 key or do I need to upgrade first?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO
Old 29-07-2015, 06:11   #987
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Windows 10 is now released, some users may even have downloaded it in the background through Windows update and just need to install.

There is also an official Windows 10 ISO download page, I am guessing I can install this using my existing Windows 8 key or do I need to upgrade first?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO
See here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/faq

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 06:25   #988
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Other sites are reporting we need to do an in place upgrade before installing an ISO with a Win 8 key so I am not sure yet until someone does it. I am on the preview so I won't do this for a while and in bed ill doesn't help either.
Old 29-07-2015, 06:58   #989
Dave42
cf.mega poster

official windows 10 download tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
Old 29-07-2015, 07:45   #990
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Well, my insider version had a massive update as Windows went live. Interesting that they kept the same build number (The first half anyway) but hey.

Good luck to those about to see Windows 10 for the first time!
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote