Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ISP Username

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ISP Username

Old 29-01-2008, 01:25   #1
Tommeh
Inactive

Tommeh is an unknown quantity at this point
ISP Username

First off, I'm new to this website so hi lol.

I have recently bought a Belkin Wireless G Router so I can play XBOX 360 live an d to give a connection to my Dad's laptop. When installing the router I was asked to fill in my ISP Username and Password. I know this information is on the "Welcome Pack" that you get when you first get the broadband but I have seemed to misplaced it.

I was wondering if there was any other way about finding out your ISP Username and Password.

Any help would be great
Tommeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-01-2008, 06:33   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: ISP Username

to Cable Forum

You don't normally need the username and password for a cable based connection, other than when you initially register the cable modem. Once the modem has ben registered, it's normally sufficient to power it off, connect your new device, i.e. router in place ofa computer, power on modem, power on router, then computer(s). If you've been fiddling with the router settings, try a restore to factory settings before going any further.

You did buy a cable, not ADSL based router didn't you?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 06:58   #3
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Some routers have a built in "wizard" that is useless most of the time when it comes to VM as it doesn't understand the service. If you have the correct type of router then you don't need that info and can bypass it by going to a certain "webpage".
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 08:21   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

You sure you've not gone and bought an ADSL router??? Just that the only time I've seen a router ask for ISP username/password is on DSL

Kymmy
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 12:23   #5
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

tommeh

okay which belkin router did ya buy mate... on the bottom you have F5D****.

normally if you are on NTL then the connection type you need to select is DYNAMIC and what I do is cloning the mac address of the computer thats wired into the modem.

this will work nothing else to be done other then setting up security for the wireless
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 13:14   #6
Tommeh
Inactive

Yes it is a ADSL modem router.
I found my ISP Username and Password and entered it correctly [Telewest Broadband] but now I'm having problems connecting the router to the internet.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks.

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDutch View Post
okay which belkin router did ya buy mate... on the bottom you have F5D****.
It is F5D7632-4
Old 29-01-2008, 13:15   #7
Losttheplot

ADSL modems dont work on cable, the clue is the ADSL part!
Old 29-01-2008, 13:19   #8
Tommeh
Inactive

So how do I get it to work?
Sorry I'm new to all this lol
Old 29-01-2008, 13:21   #9
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Take it back and get the right one would be an option
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2008, 13:56   #10
Tommeh
Inactive

I phoned Belkin support and they told me that the router was not compatible with my ISP.
They advised me to purchase the Belkin FSD7230. Is this a good router for me? I am looking to connect my Dad's laptop and to connect to XBOX Live wireless.
Old 29-01-2008, 14:21   #11
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

yeah the 7230 is alright
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote