Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How should Virgin offer the Olympics to their customers?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How should Virgin offer the Olympics to their customers?
View Poll Results: How would you like Virgin to deliver the Olympics streams?
Exactly the same as SKY and Freesat 46 83.64%
How they currently plan to, via a TiVo application for TiVo only customers 9 16.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-04-2012, 11:50   #61
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: How should Virgin offer the Olympics to their customers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
Exactly as Chad predicted in post 40
Oh dear. Your logic again defies me. Which part of my post said that it was because of the people who complained that made VM add linear channels?

You said it was a blow for the 'whingers'. I said how can it be a blow when they got what they wanted. There was no suggestion, by me, of how or why it happened.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-04-2012, 13:03   #62
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Oh dear. Your logic again defies me. Which part of my post said that it was because of the people who complained that made VM add linear channels?

You said it was a blow for the 'whingers'. I said how can it be a blow when they got what they wanted. There was no suggestion, by me, of how or why it happened.
Simple really. Nothing left to whinge about.

It was certain that VM would do exactly what they have done yet people whinged.

If you can't understand the logic then read Chads post again. This didn't happen because of whingers. They lose because now they have to find something else to use as a front for their whinging.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 13:22   #63
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
.They lose because now they have to find something else to use as a front for their whinging.
You see, this is where your logic failed you right from the get-go. For some strange reason, only known to you, you assumed that people were using the olympics situation as a 'front' for a general moan. With that completely flawed assumption, it is no wonder that your last few posts on this topic have been completly illogical.
Old 19-04-2012, 13:56   #64
LexDiamond
Inactive

LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
You see, this is where your logic failed you right from the get-go. For some strange reason, only known to you, you assumed that people were using the olympics situation as a 'front' for a general moan. With that completely flawed assumption, it is no wonder that your last few posts on this topic have been completly illogical.
Nothing illogical about it. VM never said they would not be carrying the additional Olympic channels. What was illogical was the reaction of users on this thread before VM made an announcement.

There is no flaw in my assumption. In all the time I have been a member there has been a constant flow of negativity by a few members based on the same old whinging. What changes about the whinging is whats new. The same points get recycled but attached to something else, in this case the Olympics.

There us nothing illogical about my last fee posts. Just reading over this thread shows that users had no basis for their reaction.
Old 19-04-2012, 14:12   #65
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Nothing illogical about it. VM never said they would not be carrying the additional Olympic channels. What was illogical was the reaction of users on this thread before VM made an announcement.
Agree. One moaner... sorry.... poster even went so far as to post to the effect that "these channels definitely will not be made available on VM" (paraphrased, but that was the gist of it.)
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 14:18   #66
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

I suggest we all wait & see,what is delivered .
The Red button on TiVo is a case in point at the MOMENT it is inferior to the service offered by the V+( The Red Button that is). That is not to say that the TiVo cannot be a much better box. People that have not grown up with the V series PVRs ( Or for that matter Sky) Will I am sure find it to be great.
As do people that did not use the Red BBC button or rely/use reminders. How ever there are a group & I included myself in this,that have, had a number of boxes from Virgin( NTL , CableTel ) over the years & find that they used both of these a lot. Given the hyp of Tivo has the red button now.As apposed to its reality- very limited services. I think wait & see is the only path to follow. However past experience tells me not to hold my breath.
Sorry if that is taken as whinging. I prefer to think of it as experience over hope.
Old 19-04-2012, 14:40   #67
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:

There is no flaw in my assumption. In all the time I have been a member there has been a constant flow of negativity by a few members based on the same old whinging. What changes about the whinging is whats new. The same points get recycled but attached to something else, in this case the Olympics.

There us nothing illogical about my last fee posts. Just reading over this thread shows that users had no basis for their reaction.
VM should have anounced live channels on the same day as Sky did or within a very short time afterwards.

Why did VM delay the anouncment? If they had planned it from the start, why the delay?

I can think of several reasons, but they would be pure conjecture on my part and could be completely wrong. But one thing I am sure of, given a long history of Sky adding channels and VM not adding those same channels, that posters, making it clear from the start, that VM should do the same, was the right thing to do. I really can't see how that makes those posters general Whingers.
Old 19-04-2012, 14:55   #68
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Why did VM delay the anouncment? If they had planned it from the start, why the delay?
A 'delay' of 2 weeks when there still 4 months to go to the Olympics

Also Virgin announced in December that they would definately be carrying the content on the TiVo boxes, so if anything Sky were 4 months behind Virgin for Olympics announcements
Old 19-04-2012, 15:08   #69
LexDiamond
Inactive

Quote:
VM should have anounced live channels on the same day as Sky did or within a very short time afterwards.

I can think of several reasons, but they would be pure conjecture on my part and could be completely wrong. But one thing I am sure of, given a long history of Sky adding channels and VM not adding those same channels, that posters, making it clear from the start, that VM should do the same, was the right thing to do. I really can't see how that makes those posters general Whingers.
Your final paragraph agrees with what I initially said.

VM announced 100 days before the start of the start of the games. Suggesting VM delayed its announcement is pure conjecture.
Old 19-04-2012, 15:31   #70
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

One thing I have noticed is there has not been the media coverage of VM's announcement compared to Sky's all singing an dancing announcement which was covered by all media out lets.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 15:38   #71
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
One thing I have noticed is there has not been the media coverage of VM's announcement compared to Sky's all singing an dancing announcement which was covered by all media out lets.
It has been
Old 19-04-2012, 15:47   #72
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I know it has been, it was the scale of the coverage I was commenting on.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 15:51   #73
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Your final paragraph agrees with what I initially said.

VM announced 100 days before the start of the start of the games. Suggesting VM delayed its announcement is pure conjecture.
I've said that VM should have anounced the linear channels at the same as Sky. You said that we should be prepared to wait for the anouncment because there was plenty of time before the Olympics. I can't see any agreement there.

I said the people posting weren't whingers but just concerened because of VMs history of not adding channels. You said they were general whingers and the olympics was just a 'front'. Can't see any agreement there.

So, confused.
Old 19-04-2012, 16:01   #74
LexDiamond
Inactive

Quote:
I've said that VM should have anounced the linear channels at the same as Sky. You said that we should be prepared to wait for the anouncment because there was plenty of time before the Olympics. I can't see any agreement there.

I said the people posting weren't whingers but just concerened because of VMs history of not adding channels. You said they were general whingers and the olympics was just a 'front'. Can't see any agreement there.

So, confused.
No, what you said was, that from past experience, people reacted the way that they did. That means users here used their expectations to whinge and this has no bearing whatsoever on reality. The Olympics was simply a front for people to talk about what they don't have in terms of channels.

It is bordering on the rediculous that people thought Britains second largest pay tv provider was not going to provide full coverage of Britains own Olympics.
Old 19-04-2012, 16:01   #75
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
I've said that VM should have anounced the linear channels at the same as Sky.
They could only have done that if Sky had told them when they were announcing, which I doubt very much they are inclined to do, and also if Virgin were ready to do so themselves i.e. they'd had confirmation from all technical teams with VM that the plan was in place.

Quote:
It is bordering on the rediculous that people thought Britains second largest pay tv provider was not going to provide full coverage of Britains own Olympics
It was less than two weeks since Sky made their announcement, and 4 months since Virgin Media announced that TiVo would get full BBC coverage of the Olympics

So, I would say that it was those who already had certain views on Virgin Media that have seen a two week difference in announcements when there is still 4 months to go 'rediculous'. Most customers of either Virgin Media or Sky won't have even noticed