Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How should Virgin offer the Olympics to their customers?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How should Virgin offer the Olympics to their customers?
View Poll Results: How would you like Virgin to deliver the Olympics streams?
Exactly the same as SKY and Freesat 46 83.64%
How they currently plan to, via a TiVo application for TiVo only customers 9 16.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2012, 19:59   #16
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: How should Virgin offer the Olympics to their customers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
In relation to the title of the thread here is my suggesstion?Buy all the customers a ticket to the event of their choice
Or VM could buy us all a subscription to Sky.... problem solved
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2012, 20:05   #17
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Or VM could buy us all a subscription to Sky.... problem solved
Exactly what I thought too..great minds etc etc
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 20:15   #18
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

I don't think you even need a subscription do you? I still have a Sky HD box and dish so could I just connect these up to watch the FTA channels?
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 20:16   #19
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
I don't think you even need a subscription do you? I still have a Sky HD box and dish so could I just connect these up to watch the FTA channels?
"The 48 new channels will be added to the Sports section of Sky’s Electronic Programme Guide from the 24th of July. The channels are free-to-air and available to any Sky home, including Freesat from Sky homes. The HD channels are available on any Sky+HD box and do not require a subscription, but do require an HD ready TV. Customers will require a Sky subscription in order to use Sky+."

It's really great news for all current SKY and ex-SKY customers who still have their dish. I wonder how many people in the UK have a SKY or Freesat dish on their house? 15 million, maybe 20 million? Until Virgin agree and announce a similar deal with the BBC, which they must surely be working on right now, only 450,000 of their customers will have similar Olympic access via a TiVo application. Hardly bringing the Olympic experience to the masses.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 21:12   #20
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

I'd be interested to find out the reasoning of people who think it should only be on Tivo.

Anyone care to share their thinking?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 21:59   #21
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I'd be interested to find out the reasoning of people who think it should only be on Tivo.

Anyone care to share their thinking?
Adding 48 channels to all users will surely mean setting up 48 channels on transponders which VM may not have spare capacity on meaning that they will have to invest in extra hardware for a few weeks, not really worth the expense.

I'm assuming by using a App on TIVO that it will use the broadband link to send the required stream - quick and easy and more importantly cheap to implement

I have zero interest in the Olympics even through I can see the stadiums from my office window and have no desire to record any of it
toady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 23:56   #22
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
I have zero interest in the Olympics even through I can see the stadiums from my office window and have no desire to record any of it
Me too, total waste of public money imo.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 00:51   #23
jtaylor06
Inactive

Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age

It would be best to do linear channels, however if they go down the app path, maybe having an archive of content to watch for months to come?
jtaylor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:26   #24
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emel View Post
I know Ben, and thanks for your explanations on this and other threads about the current situation which I have found helpful.
Yes, Ben's input is very much welcome and I think we all appreciate it.

It's worth restating my current thoughts now that we have a new thread to discuss this topic. Those thoughts are that non Tivo customers will get will be the same as what Freeviewers will receive - ie two streams in addition to BBC1 and BBC3. Obviously this is subject to change should VM make any fresh announcements and Mediaboy has said on his blogspot that no deal is in place with VM - "it is understood that other parties such as Virgin are yet to ink a deal" and one presumes they are talking about arrangements for non Tivo custumers.

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...-olympics.html
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:48   #25
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Me too, total waste of public money imo.
My view of this event.

However I voted as SKY & FreeSat because many people that I hold in high regard as far as this Forum goes, would like it . Me I will be in the USA
( lord help me a lot of the time in Walt Disney World, but Harry Potter[Uni] does appeal) then on to the beach for R & R)
Old 05-04-2012, 09:19   #26
Emel
Inactive

Services: Tivo, Vplus, TVXL, Sky Sports, Broadband, Phone and Mobile
Emel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of lightEmel is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
Adding 48 channels to all users will surely mean setting up 48 channels on transponders which VM may not have spare capacity on meaning that they will have to invest in extra hardware for a few weeks, not really worth the expense.

I'm assuming by using a App on TIVO that it will use the broadband link to send the required stream - quick and easy and more importantly cheap to implement

That is fair enough, we all have different likes and dislikes.

However, in the context of an 8% increase in TVXL to "make sure we continue to give you the best home entertainment and services" and a long term commitment to a greater number of HD channels I think gearing up capacity for the biggest sporting event ever held in this country is a reasonable expectation.
Emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:37   #27
SILVER SURFER
Inactive

SILVER SURFER is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: How should Virgin offer the Olympics to their customers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor06 View Post
It would be best to do linear channels, however if they go down the app path, maybe having an archive of content to watch for months to come?
Lets hope we win a few gold medals then or it could be depressing viewing
SILVER SURFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 13:39   #28
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVER SURFER View Post
Lets hope we win a few gold medals then or it could be depressing viewing
In HD, not depressing

Personally i just like a good competition, not overly fussed who wins
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 19:38   #29
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

The fact that the bbc is an impartial broadcaster means that the streams will be have to be availble to any available platform that can carry them, it's obvious that Virgin just don't want to work out a way to carry these for people with boxes they are trying to make obsolete, it is also obvious that the "best way to watch tv ever" isn't connected to a network able to broadcast the best olympic tv coverage ever, this is a massive coo for SKY and it shows just how flexible their system is, and therfore technically more able to move and evolve than VM. Thank god i've got freesat to fall back on, jeez £107 a month doesn't get you much these days does it.
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 19:45   #30
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

Does not matter what I think, Virgin are too imcompetent make it work. Not only that, but they lack the negotiating skills to get it in the first place.
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote