Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 28-11-2012, 20:31   #1441
alexcopeland
Inactive

Services: Talk Weekends SupreFibre 70
alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold
Re: TV price rises

£4.59 increase from February for me on VIP with an additional V box. Checked the Sky web site and this kind of bundle is still £10 more so I'm sticking with VM. Love the TiVo and the broadband we get. Wife loves VM so doesn't want to leave and go to Sky.
alexcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-11-2012, 20:42   #1442
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcopeland View Post
£4.59 increase from February for me on VIP with an additional V box. Checked the Sky web site and this kind of bundle is still £10 more so I'm sticking with VM. Love the TiVo and the broadband we get. Wife loves VM so doesn't want to leave and go to Sky.
If you enjoy your current service, and can't get a better price anywhere else, best to stick with Virgin.

Must admit, one you've got used to TiVo other PVR's just seem a little primitive. I mainly use the 3 tuners but wishlist searches are great too. I also mess about with the Youtube app more than I'd like to admit
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 20:57   #1443
alexcopeland
Inactive

alexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to beholdalexcopeland is a splendid one to behold

You tube app is a big hit with all the family and friends and looks great on the plasma TV on the wall. I love the TiVo for wishlists and the storage is huge. And I love how the suggestions are spot on. The wife and I hammer Sky Movies on demand and love catching a movie in our own time at no extra charge.
Old 28-11-2012, 21:05   #1444
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Despite the price rises which we are not happy about l think at the end of the day VM has many pluses and a couple of smaller minuses wherever Sky have one plus and far more minuses.
Old 28-11-2012, 21:07   #1445
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Despite the price rises which we are not happy about l think at the end of the day VM has many pluses and a couple of smaller minuses wherever Sky have one plus and far more minuses.
Any chance of expanding on the pros/cons? I'll be switching to Sky so interesting in hearing the bad parts and the comparison to VM
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 21:15   #1446
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Any chance of expanding on the pros/cons? I'll be switching to Sky so interesting in hearing the bad parts and the comparison to VM
Sky Broadband - My experiences have been very poor with Sky's broadband
Sky's STB - Clunky and quite ancient compared to the TiVo STB
Sky's VOD - Not bad but second rate still compared to VM's huge libriary
Sky TV - More channels but their only advantage is SA in my opinion

Overall Virgin beats Sky both on price and the better all round quality of its package but with Sky dangling those offers for some l suspect it will be very tempting.
Old 28-11-2012, 21:32   #1447
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Overall Virgin beats Sky both on price and the better all round quality of its package but with Sky dangling those offers for some l suspect it will be very tempting.
Cheers for spending the time to explain that for me.

Those might be good reasons for some to stick with VM, but not for me. 2 Years of on and off poor broadband experience with VM is my main reason for leaving. The nice little VM STB I had was replaced with a big one due to the small one not having enough memory to show the tv guide after midnight and AV sync issues.

I can see the Tivo/VOD is a big attraction for many customers. Never went for Tivo and with my network media streamer and tv having iPlayer/youtube etc VOD built in, not missed it.

Guess it comes down to what an individual wants/needs and sometimes budget. That and some people don't want the hassle of switching
Old 28-11-2012, 21:51   #1448
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You tube app is a big hit with all the family and friends and looks great on the plasma TV on the wall. I love the TiVo for wishlists and the storage is huge. And I love how the suggestions are spot on. The wife and I hammer Sky Movies on demand and love catching a movie in our own time at no extra charge.
If you have an andoid device with an up to date youtube app you can control the TiVO's youtube without the remote.

My 3 year old loves being able to scroll and pick all by himself.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 21:55   #1449
alexcopeland
Inactive

That sounds fantastic. My 6 year old daughter has an android tablet so we'll give that a go tomorrow.
Old 28-11-2012, 21:56   #1450
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:

only advantage on channels I see with sky is ss3+4 HD and ssn HD
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 22:24   #1451
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That sounds fantastic. My 6 year old daughter has an android tablet so we'll give that a go tomorrow.
It is. You just go to My Youtube on the Tivo app and select the Pair option. You'll then be asked to enter a pair code and then you can control the TiVo app via the tablet. Even better is you can search without interrupting what is playing and add multiple videos to a queue.

I think andoid 2.3 and above is supported but they may have updated the app for 2.2. It really is the best thing Google have done all year.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 00:09   #1452
Safcftm21
Inactive

Safcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the rough

Here's a thought, why not pay less and get them? I had with virgin the following and paid £103 p/m

TiVo box and v+ box with all the channels (sports movies etc)
Phone (evening and weekend)
60mb broadband

Moved back to sky and now pay £83p/m for 6 mnts then £95p/m and I get the following

Sky plus HD and extra box - with shed loads more hd channels, a 3d channel, sky Atlantic and a sky go app that blows virgin tv anywhere out of the water. Also as I now have had experience of the two the VOD content is not that much different. Also other than the three tuners I will not be convinced by anyone that the TiVo is good as everyone on here seems to think.

Phone - anytime calls so again an improvement on what I had before

Broadband - this is the only thing that's not as good but I've been getting 15mb which I can live with to be honest and sky's fibre is due in my area in the next 3 months. Now get cloud wifi and won't get traffic management on my broadband that VM did after only three months and not even excessive usage(VM cs agreed with me) as my BB speed was dropped to 0.5mb. So have I lost out?

No brainer for me and as one of the few that's seen both sides of the VM/Sky coin I think I'm in a good position to comment, unlike some on this forum who will defend VM without actually seeing what the so called opposition has to offer.

I know I posted this on another thread but I think it applies to both
Safcftm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 00:18   #1453
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safcftm21 View Post
I know I posted this on another thread but I think it applies to both
Would be useful if you could look at this thread: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/63...customers.html
Old 29-11-2012, 00:21   #1454
Safcftm21
Inactive

Safcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Would be useful if you could look at this thread: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/63...customers.html
If I knew it existed at the time of writing I would have
Safcftm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 00:45   #1455
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal

I have wrote yet again a email to the ceo`s office in the hope of some justification regarding these heavy price increases,Below is my email--

Dear June,
I am contacting you in the hope that someone in your office can justify the recent absorbent price increase that is going to hit my account in feb 2013 of £5.59,I appreciate that price increases are a part of life but the magnitude of this increase i consider to be totally appalling.considering the very disappointing year i personally think vm have had and previous promises from Cindy rose have failed to be delivered,I feel i have legitimate grievances which i enclose below.
1. The complete lack of new channels in particular HD channels,Whilst i understand the situation with sky as i have put in previous emails to your office the lack of other providers channels is both puzzling and very concerning eg Disney,Universal and itv channels.
2.TV Anywhere the current crop of channels available to stream to my ipad is both embarrassing and appalling,Whilst i appreciate its a new product i find it totally laughable that a product you have been talking/planning for over 12 months that contact with providers were not changed/altered with channel provider pre launch
3.TiVo streaming,Yet again another product you have been talking/planning for over 12 months again is unbelievably worse than the poor choice available on the ipad.
I would have thought in a year that we have seen you view appear and now bt are pushing forward into joining the channel market,That a increase in charges would be the last thing you would do.BT are openly targeting vm customers to join then thru there website and with constant offers ranging from 25%-75% off sky for 12 months this moves is a very dangerous one.
I have been a very loyal customer of cable tv for over 10 years but i cant help but feel that vm`s goal is at the moment to squeeze as much out of us customer and give us nothing,If when sending letters out about increases we were seeing or you was announcing new channels then they would certainly be at least some justification.
May i suggest that you resend letters out to us all itemising what is actually going up,In particular the xl package(as i am still awaiting new channels from the previous increase),
Very disappointed customer.

If get a reply-will post email,I urge other people to do the same
howardmicks is offline   Reply With Quote