Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 05-12-2012, 15:08   #1531
chandleo
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV XL,TiVo & VHD, XL BB, M Telephone
chandleo is on a distinguished roadchandleo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to chandleo
Re: TV price rises

I'm really shocked, only joined Virgin Media in August and now my package is going up by £4.09 a month! That's a pretty substantial rise, I'm wondering if they've finally given in to Sky and decided to pay an extortionate amount for Sky Atlantic and are passing on the cost to us?
chandleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2012, 16:26   #1532
savvychels
cf.geek

Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack

Ooh Lucky Me (not). Got my email on the 3rd. Mine was supposed to be a £5.59 increase but after doing the Line Rental Saver I get a £4.59 increase instead (but a much lower monthly bill after shelling out £120 up front).

But if I'm really honest I love my TiVo's, I'm happy with my services. Might be nice to have a few more channels that we don't have yet, but really how much TV can people watch LOL. I have HOURS stored on my TiVo's (3-5 seasons for some programmes - I had to stop recording in HD on one of the TiVo's) that I don't have time to watch, so how much more content do I need?

Happy Holidays

Old 05-12-2012, 16:45   #1533
royaltiger
Inactive

Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light

Well just got my letter from Virgin to say prices are going up by £4.24, what annoys me the most is the statement lower down which says "the good stuff comes as standard" And clearly states Up to 24HD Channels with a tick next to it As Standard when this is clearly not the case, 24HD channels only comes with the XL Package. Surely this is false advertising and deceiving the customer as usual.
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 17:10   #1534
savvychels
cf.geek

savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack

I agree it can be misleading but that's why they use the term 'up to' before the 24 channels. Same as BB speeds 'up to' in BT speak.
Old 05-12-2012, 17:27   #1535
royaltiger
Inactive

Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light

This is the statement from the website under value for money, We think you should be able to watch all your favourite programmes in glorious HD. That’s why we’ve sorted it so that you can enjoy up to 24 HD channels with your Virgin TV package at no extra monthly cost. All you need is an HD ready TV and a V HD, V+ HD or TiVo box – you’ll find the HD channels in amongst the regular channel line-up. How I read that is i should be having 24HD channels in my M+ package at no extra cost.

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvychels View Post
I agree it can be misleading but that's why they use the term 'up to' before the 24 channels. Same as BB speeds 'up to' in BT speak.
Its very misleading when it says up to 24 HD channels as Standard, 6 HD channels is Standard, 24HD is extra or is this a new package.
Old 05-12-2012, 17:40   #1536
savvychels
cf.geek

Reading what you've quoted they're saying that those channels are included in each package without an extra cost (number of channels included varies by package). It's their dig at Sky who charge you for the package THEN charge you for HD in addition to the package the way I understand it.
Old 05-12-2012, 17:44   #1537
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Do you not get any hd channels on Sky, even the free to air ones, unless you have the hd pack? If not I think it's a fair boast from Virgin to say that they provide up to 24 as standard.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 17:51   #1538
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Do you not get any hd channels on Sky, even the free to air ones, unless you have the hd pack? If not I think it's a fair boast from Virgin to say that they provide up to 24 as standard.
You get BBC One HD , BBC HD , ITV1 HD , Channel 4 HD , Channel 5 HD and NHK World HD free.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 17:59   #1539
royaltiger
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Thats the problem they are not providing 24HD as Standard, 6HD is standard which is in the M+ and L package, 24 is in the XL package which you pay a lot more for. They are advertising it as if 24HD channels is what every customer receives as normal and its not, you pay extra just like sky.
Old 05-12-2012, 18:07   #1540
poorchester
Inactive

poorchester is an unknown quantity at this point

Got my letter today -£4.74 increase for XL TV, XL Phone, L BB. Time to think about going back to Sky for TV. How does Sky SD picture quality compare to Virgin SD (not too fussed about HD) and how noisy is the Sky V+ box? (when I had the old style box a few years ago it made quite a racket). Any help much appreciated.
poorchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 19:40   #1541
nicko
cf.addict

Services: 30 mb broadband & phone
nicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorchester View Post
Got my letter today -£4.74 increase for XL TV, XL Phone, L BB. Time to think about going back to Sky for TV. How does Sky SD picture quality compare to Virgin SD (not too fussed about HD) and how noisy is the Sky V+ box? (when I had the old style box a few years ago it made quite a racket). Any help much appreciated.

I know they were noisy, I had the old Pace Skyplus and I modified the box to reduce the fan noise, they were horrendous.
nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 22:16   #1542
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltiger View Post
Thats the problem they are not providing 24HD as Standard, 6HD is standard which is in the M+ and L package, 24 is in the XL package which you pay a lot more for. They are advertising it as if 24HD channels is what every customer receives as normal and its not, you pay extra just like sky.
£8 per month - a lot more???
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 22:22   #1543
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorchester View Post
A -£4.74 and you are thinking of going back to sky when everyone else is gettng a price rise
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 22:30   #1544
Safcftm21
Inactive

Safcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
£8 per month - a lot more???
It's £8 more than free which is what VM claim. I made this point a few weeks back about HD on VM not technically being free and got shot down in flames for it!
Safcftm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 22:31   #1545
Gadgie
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Phone, 10Meg Internet & TV & phone package.
Gadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really niceGadgie is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Gadgie

We left Sky to come to V/M because their prices went too high.

Now, a few months later, we get a price increase from V/M, but since we are both stuck at home all the time, both of us disabled, our Internet and T/V and phone are essential to us.

We do see a lot of repeats, but then again, we did the same with Sky?
Gadgie is offline   Reply With Quote