Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 2
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 17:21   #3736
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
It's based on Linux, if that helps Don't know much about that OS myself.
It could still be using one of several filesystems, each of which will handle fragmentation differently. Also, my other point about whether deleted recordings are deleted or just marked as such in TiVo's database (which I imagine is probably the case as it would make it easier for TiVo to control when they're overwritten and also for the ability to un-delete them by simply changing the database entry) still stands. Even though the used space gauge only reflects your own recordings, suggestions and deleted recordings are still taking up space on the disk which means new recordings risk fragmentation.
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2011, 17:36   #3737
HandsOfBlue
Inactive

Services: VIP50 TIVO
HandsOfBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
It could still be using one of several filesystems, each of which will handle fragmentation differently.
A quick search suggests that they have their own filesystem.
Old 09-05-2011, 18:36   #3738
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

US TiVo News:
Quote:
http://blog.tivo.com/2011/05/tivo-an...remiere-users/

Great news! TiVo and Comcast are officially working together to give TiVo Premiere users access to Comcast’s Xfinity TV On Demand library. For the first time, Comcast customers in select markets will be able to use the TiVo Premiere box to enjoy a fully integrated offering combining traditional TV programming, Xfinity On Demand, and a range of broadband services, all accessible with TiVo Premiere’s universal search and HD user-interface.

Comcast will make its Xfinity TV On Demand service accessible on TiVo Premiere set-top boxes in many of its largest markets, with the first expected to be the San Francisco Bay Area with a plan for additional markets to follow. Comcast will install TiVo Premiere set-top boxes with its cable service at no additional charge for its customers when the service is available in those markets.
Looks like TiVo is expanding further in to the US cable market.
Old 09-05-2011, 18:43   #3739
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
US TiVo News:

Looks like TiVo is expanding further in to the US cable market.
Yes it looks like they are expanding and could also be learning from their partnership from VM

The one from NASDAQ:

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/company-n...SPR____0753154
Old 09-05-2011, 19:55   #3740
chunkymonkey
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media TV XL and Phone Size M and Broadband size L V+HD and VHD
chunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the roughchunkymonkey is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone have the freephone number to order TiVo. They told me to call it when I rung CS today but I've lost it!
Old 09-05-2011, 20:02   #3741
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
Does anyone have the freephone number to order TiVo. They told me to call it when I rung CS today but I've lost it!
Just dial 150 and say you want to be put through to TIVO sales team and they should transfer you?
Old 09-05-2011, 20:08   #3742
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age
pythagoras has reached the bronze age

I currently have Vip50 which has a TiVo and V+, this costs me £100.55.

If I replace the V+ with a 500Gb Tivo will my monthly bill stay the same and I'll have one off costs of £49.95 + £40?

Also if I decide to keep the V+ and have a 500GB TiVo as an extra box will the monthly cost be £107.05 and the same one off costs?

Regards

John.
Old 09-05-2011, 20:30   #3743
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
I currently have Vip50 which has a TiVo and V+, this costs me £100.55.

If I replace the V+ with a 500Gb Tivo will my monthly bill stay the same and I'll have one off costs of £49.95 + £40?

Also if I decide to keep the V+ and have a 500GB TiVo as an extra box will the monthly cost be £107.05 and the same one off costs?

Regards

John.
Nobody knows at the moment, I would love to know as well. Anbody have any inside info
Old 10-05-2011, 11:30   #3744
billc
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media full package
billc is just really nicebillc is just really nicebillc is just really nicebillc is just really nicebillc is just really nicebillc is just really nice

Hi,

I had my TIVO installed last sat am, V+ box moved upstairs + installed for free with no extra cost for keeping the second box with all extras except chargeable HD package.

My monthly bill is still under £100 / month

Struggling to find anything to moan about.

Hey Ho

billc
Old 10-05-2011, 12:16   #3745
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc View Post
Give it time
Old 10-05-2011, 12:35   #3746
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc View Post
Hi,

I had my TIVO installed last sat am, V+ box moved upstairs + installed for free with no extra cost for keeping the second box with all extras except chargeable HD package.

My monthly bill is still under £100 / month

Hey Ho

billc
Honeymoons are wonderfully full of blind infatuation but very short in duration!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:50   #3747
videodj
cf.addict

Services: Vivid 300Mb, Tivo V6, Tivo (Full House TV)
videodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enough

Just wait, I had mine installed last week, V+ was deactivated in error and looking at my new bill today it is about £30 to high. I'm on VIP50 with Tivo so should be £100.55. Plus I'm still waiting for the credit for the reactivation of my V+ box!
Old 10-05-2011, 14:51   #3748
dazed&confused
Inactive

Services: VIP Collection + TIVo Additional Tivo
dazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Nobody knows at the moment, I would love to know as well. Anbody have any inside info
Me Too
Still more than happy with TIVo, and a second one for the bedroom (replacing the V+) would be great.
Old 10-05-2011, 15:20   #3749
brava210
Inactive

Services: Virgin V+,TiVo, BB-10MB Panasonic 50", AE 5.1, Pioneer VSX920 Amp, Harmony One.
brava210 is on a distinguished roadbrava210 is on a distinguished road

My bill was £72 over
Old 10-05-2011, 15:47   #3750
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Angry Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confused View Post
Me Too
Still more than happy with TIVo, and a second one for the bedroom (replacing the V+) would be great.
Yes l think l will get a baby tivo as a second box soon.
Closed Thread