Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin 4G

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin 4G

Old 28-02-2013, 17:05   #1
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Virgin 4G

So, Natalie just gave me her phone she got for her upgrade. Very nice of her indeed.

It is a (unlocked thankfully) Galaxy note II LTE edition.

I was just wondering when and if VM will be supporting 4g so I will be able to use all the features (eventually).
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-02-2013, 17:35   #2
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society
Re: Virgin 4G

Coming soon ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Sorry couldn't resist.
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 00:58   #3
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

Well Phones 4U have launched a MVNO called 'LIFE Mobile' on EE's network and their press release states that they plan to launch 4G services on that 'later in the year' http://www.phones4u.co.uk/media/pres...h-life-mobile/. With Virgin already running on EE's network I would think that they would start to be able to offer 4G around the same time as LIFE.
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 15:36   #4
Jameseh

Yeah, all the networks should be launching 4G this year so EE are just clinging onto exclusivity for as long as possible, even from their own MVNO partners.
Old 04-03-2013, 17:01   #5
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

I don't blame them, I'm with them and think it's worth it if you can get it
Old 04-03-2013, 17:17   #6
Jameseh

Their prices are absolute disgusting though.
Old 04-03-2013, 18:18   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

My bet is July/August.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 22:29   #8
Ben B
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
Their prices are absolute disgusting though.
My phone is £36/month on Orange (which I had it on for a couple of months), the same plan is £41 on EE so not much difference
Old 05-03-2013, 15:57   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

The plan itself isn't that bad - as you say about £5 a month more - but most other headline prices are subject to quite substantial discounts if you shop around and EE's aren't. On Orange, you can get a free Note II with unlimited calls, texts, and 3GB data for £36 a month. On EE, the standard price is £46 a month + £30 for the phone, costing a total of £270 more for exactly the same, sans the LTE coverage.

Best I can find looking around, is £46 a month with a free phone + £25 cashback on that same package, so it'd "only" cost £215 more.
Old 05-03-2013, 20:55   #10
Bogof

Services: BT Infinity 80Mb down, 20Mb upload. Syncing @ 148Mb down, 44Mb up. TRUELY UNLIMITED/UNMANAGED/UNTHRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
My phone is £36/month on Orange (which I had it on for a couple of months), the same plan is £41 on EE so not much difference
I have an iPhone 5 on 3 with unlimited data running at 20Mbs on DC-HSDPA and costs £34, The closest on EE has a 20Gb limit won't be any faster and is £61 a month
Old 06-03-2013, 19:52   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

EE's network currently runs at "Up to" 50Mbps in most places, shortly to become 100Mbps, DC-HSPA runs at "Up to" 42Mbps (or 28.8 if you're on Vodafone)

Not to mention the latter will have a lot more congestion - for now. And it's not download speeds that are the problem, it's latency, and you will be a lot faster on EE.
Old 06-03-2013, 20:29   #12
Bogof

Services: BT Infinity 80Mb down, 20Mb upload. Syncing @ 148Mb down, 44Mb up. TRUELY UNLIMITED/UNMANAGED/UNTHRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
EE's network currently runs at "Up to" 50Mbps in most places, shortly to become 100Mbps, DC-HSPA runs at "Up to" 42Mbps (or 28.8 if you're on Vodafone)

Not to mention the latter will have a lot more congestion - for now. And it's not download speeds that are the problem, it's latency, and you will be a lot faster on EE.
Well where I work people on EE are getting between 17 and 25mbs, I'm getting 20 ,sometimes as high as 28mbs+ for half the price and UNLIMITED. It will take a lot for me to ditch unlimited. When at home it's not uncommon for me to turn my iPhone into a hotspot connect my laptop to it wirelessly and download a tv show or 2. Whilst using my home connection for gaming.

With Sky unlimited and 3 unlimited I could never go back to limits.
Old 06-03-2013, 21:11   #13
dnh
Inactive

Services: virgin v+xl xl bb xl phone
dnh is an unknown quantity at this point

Virgin on 4g??? No chance they have just started capping their speeds at around 2mb http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...speed-cap.html
dnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 23:02   #14
Ben B
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogof View Post
Well where I work people on EE are getting between 17 and 25mbs, I'm getting 20 ,sometimes as high as 28mbs+ for half the price and UNLIMITED. It will take a lot for me to ditch unlimited. When at home it's not uncommon for me to turn my iPhone into a hotspot connect my laptop to it wirelessly and download a tv show or 2. Whilst using my home connection for gaming.

With Sky unlimited and 3 unlimited I could never go back to limits.
You're lucky then, the 3 signal round here is poor and isn't DC-HSDPA enabled, but I can get EE 4G. In my situation, £5 more a month seemed perfectly acceptable cause it means I can get fast reliable internet where I need it and I don't use mobile internet for streaming videos or downloading large files so I never run out/go over. If you can get the phone free on Orange/T-Mobile and not EE though then you can get it with them and then switch to EE free of charge ;D
Old 07-03-2013, 11:14   #15
Bogof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
You're lucky then, the 3 signal round here is poor and isn't DC-HSDPA enabled, but I can get EE 4G. In my situation, £5 more a month seemed perfectly acceptable cause it means I can get fast reliable internet where I need it and I don't use mobile internet for streaming videos or downloading large files so I never run out/go over. If you can get the phone free on Orange/T-Mobile and not EE though then you can get it with them and then switch to EE free of charge ;D
Yeah, if you don't need unlimited I guess its a good idea but in our home we really need unlimited or 50Gb at least. Even more so when working away and needing internet. Either pay the extortionate hotel rates or turn on my iPhones personal hotspot. Then watch Skygo on the laptop or iPlayer send receive large files. I think on some days I would use the entire 5gb in 5 hours. Then I'd be stuck for the rest of the month.