Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Isn't fast enough.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Isn't fast enough.

Old 29-02-2008, 00:11   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Wireless Isn't fast enough.

I have 24Mbit broadband and I'm finding that if I'm on wireless I can't actually get the full speed, only if I'm directly plug the laptop into the router via cat5 or on the Desktop thats connected via UPA powerline can I actually hit the full speed.

I don't think there's much I can do about it since my laptop sees 12 other wireless lans in the area and when I did some testing a while back (was before everyone and their dog had wi-fi) i found 802.11G usually topped out at around 22 - 28Mbit/s anyway.

Did wander if its worth looking at 802.11N and if that would give a real world speed bost, downside is the cost and the fact id have to have a dongle sticking out the side of my macbook (I'd need one that supports linux).

At the moment the router is set to auto pick the channel, do you think its worth manually settting it?

the router is an speedtouch 585 v6 that was supplied by my ISP. (I was previously using a voyager 2110 (was the turbo 108 version but i don't have the required cards for that and while i can get it to connect to my current ISP it doesn't seem to support adsl2+ AnnexM)
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-02-2008, 00:27   #2
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
Re: Wireless Isn't fast enough.

to be honest with you unless your virtually next to the router you cannot achieve full speed through a wireless connection thats technology for you!

as for 802.11N i have not tried it as its not widely adopted (expensive!)
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 00:34   #3
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

How far away from the router are you? Are there many walls?

I had trouble streaming MP3s on my network due to poor wireless signal until I got myself a homeplug wireless extender:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...-extender.html

Not cheap (£100 5 months ago), but it works a treat (and was a doddle to set up). My router is in the study, and I basically have a wireless access point in the lounge that blasts out any of my neighbours networks. I've not had any problems with the wireless signal since buying this kit. It's like you're sitting right next to the router. It's the bee's knees really.
Old 29-02-2008, 07:59   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Considering you can stream MP3s over about 14kb/s (more or less depending on quality) of bandwidth you must have had a very poor connection
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 10:34   #5
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Considering you can stream MP3s over about 14kb/s (more or less depending on quality) of bandwidth you must have had a very poor connection
It was (though I rip MP3s at 300 kbps). The distance to the router isn't that big, but it's an old house, and there are 2 other networks in the neighbourhood. It wouldn't actually drop the connection, but speeds would fluctuate. I haven't had a single problem since moving to homeplug. Oh, and if I would want to transfer large files I could simply plug the home plug into a socket next to my computer, plug in ethernet and transfer at 85mbps rather than the (now solid) wireless 54mbps. It's brill
Old 29-02-2008, 10:35   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

did you try changing the Wireless channel out of interest as this can often make a big difference if you have other WLANs in the vicinity.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 10:37   #7
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
did you try changing the Wireless channel out of interest as this can often make a big difference if you have other WLANs in the vicinity.
Not sure if this is directed at me, but: yes, Ad nauseam
Old 29-02-2008, 14:25   #8
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

I upgraded to N equipment and there is a huge increase in performance, i had a linksys 54gs router and card with speedboost, pile of crap that is, and could only get about 12meg at most due to the house having thick walls etc, got a belkin usb adpater and d-link635 router and now i can hit 20meg with ease
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 17:52   #9
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
How far away from the router are you? Are there many walls?

I had trouble streaming MP3s on my network due to poor wireless signal until I got myself a homeplug wireless extender:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...-extender.html

Not cheap (£100 5 months ago), but it works a treat (and was a doddle to set up). My router is in the study, and I basically have a wireless access point in the lounge that blasts out any of my neighbours networks. I've not had any problems with the wireless signal since buying this kit. It's like you're sitting right next to the router. It's the bee's knees really.
I'm pretty much right next to it or across the room from it depending on which sofa i'm sitting on..

I Might see if I can find some scanning software for the macbook (its actually running ubuntu not OSX atm) to see what channels the other lans are on and try taking the router off automatic.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote