Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 24-06-2015, 22:54   #721
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhook View Post
Computers do not need a licence what they are saying there makes no sense
Wrong. They do. When you get an OEM copy of Windows with a machine, the licence code is usually printed on a sticker somewhere on the machine.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-06-2015, 10:00   #722
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Wrong. They do. When you get an OEM copy of Windows with a machine, the licence code is usually printed on a sticker somewhere on the machine.
What utter nonsense and from someone who knows better

Look on Ebuyer they sell machines with no OS are they licensed? no. Would M$ be bothered if you installed insider preview? no

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Insiders without genuine keys will only be able to keep a free and updated version of Windows 10 if they stay in the preview and continue to try out preview builds.

If you don't do that your Windows 10 will eventually cease to function.

Insiders that have genuine keys from Win 7/8 then they will get the RTM and any regular system updates after that, they won't have to keep testing new builds.

I see that as a good trade off For example I only use Windows via bootcamp to play games every so often and also to stream X1 games now. Its not my main OS so being able to keep it working for free is fine by me.

exactly what I have said over and over
johnhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 10:07   #723
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

The machine IS licensed when an OS and software is provided!

That's what they are trying to tell you.

If you buy a PC with no OS then all you have are some parts in a box. So really to have windows you jave to have a license.

If you install insider preview you get a temp licence. So in order to keep that you need to buy a genuine copy or stay in the preview program.

Simple rrslly
Old 25-06-2015, 10:13   #724
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The machine IS licensed when an OS and software is provided!

That's what they are trying to tell you.

If you buy a PC with no OS then all you have are some parts in a box. So really to have windows you jave to have a license

lol now you are talking to me like I am stupid.

If you want pedantry then the License you receive when you buy an operating system is for the operating system and not machine it is running on. OEM operating systems are tied to the hardware retail operating systems are not you can move to another machine as long as the OS is removed from the other machine

A computer does not need a license the operating system does in most cases
Old 25-06-2015, 10:29   #725
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
I do not really care what some guy says in a blog no matter who he is or who he works for. Now knowing what a license is and by agreeing to the EULA which does not state it has to be on a Genuine Windows Computer then I get a legal insider license
Once again, I'd rather believe what Microsoft says on their official Windows 10 blog than your irreverant rantings on a non-Microsoft related forum.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 10:30   #726
johnhook
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Once again, I'd rather believe what Microsoft says on their official Windows 10 blog than your irreverant rantings on a non-Microsoft related forum.
Well that is fine but without an entry to the EULA then it simply is not binding in any case. Who is it I am not showing respect for btw? you or the Microsoft rep? And if you want to see disrespectful posts have a good long look back at some of yours
Old 25-06-2015, 10:32   #727
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Once again, nobody said it was binding.
Old 25-06-2015, 10:32   #728
johnhook
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Once again, nobody said it was binding.
in which case it is meaningless
Old 25-06-2015, 17:30   #729
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
in which case it is meaningless
It's people with that sort of attitude that drive Microsoft to change the rules and MAKE it binding, making life harder and more expensive for the rest of us.
Old 25-06-2015, 18:27   #730
johnhook
Permanently Banned

Quote:
It's people with that sort of attitude that drive Microsoft to change the rules and MAKE it binding, making life harder and more expensive for the rest of us.

Rubbish
Old 25-06-2015, 20:06   #731
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
What utter nonsense and from someone who knows better

Look on Ebuyer they sell machines with no OS are they licensed? no. Would M$ be bothered if you installed insider preview? no
Yeah, but I mentioned machines with an OEM copy of windows. As your average consumer is likely to buy.

It's also worth noting that while MS seem perfectly happy to keep people without valid Windows licences running essentially betas, they don't seem too happy about allowing them to exit the Insider Preview programme. The requirement to sign in with a Microsoft account might also trouble some (this can be disabled in Windows 10, but MS have said it is required for continued participation in the Insider programme.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to use test versions of software (alpha, beta, RTM, whatever) and am currently typing this on Windows 10 build 10130. I am happy to try and fix whatever problems occur (not that I've had any I can specifically say Windows 10 caused), but not everyone is happy to do that.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 21:13   #732
johnhook
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Yeah, but I mentioned machines with an OEM copy of windows. As your average consumer is likely to buy.

It's also worth noting that while MS seem perfectly happy to keep people without valid Windows licences running essentially betas, they don't seem too happy about allowing them to exit the Insider Preview programme. The requirement to sign in with a Microsoft account might also trouble some (this can be disabled in Windows 10, but MS have said it is required for continued participation in the Insider programme.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to use test versions of software (alpha, beta, RTM, whatever) and am currently typing this on Windows 10 build 10130. I am happy to try and fix whatever problems occur (not that I've had any I can specifically say Windows 10 caused), but not everyone is happy to do that.

Easy enough to make up an online persona though and for all intense and purpose it is still a free operating system and staying on the slow ring after RTM I doubt you will see many complete builds.

On a side note I find it strange there has not been a new Insider release in ages they are upto and possibly above 10147 now 148 for mobile devices wondering if the next we see is a RC early July
Old 25-06-2015, 23:21   #733
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Rubbish
Yes, all you speak is rubbish.

While there's plenty of hard evidence to back up my case though, all you've got is the fact you're too ignorant to care.

The very fact you can't install Windows without a CD key now is in response to people with your sort of attitude abusing the grace period to run a free copy of windows. Sure, it's not technically illegal... Still ****es Microsoft enough that they've now banned it outright.
Old 26-06-2015, 09:13   #734
johnhook
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Yes, all you speak is rubbish.

While there's plenty of hard evidence to back up my case though, all you've got is the fact you're too ignorant to care.

The very fact you can't install Windows without a CD key now is in response to people with your sort of attitude abusing the grace period to run a free copy of windows. Sure, it's not technically illegal... Still ****es Microsoft enough that they've now banned it outright.
what case?

What a load of rubbish. I own Windows 8 I bought it for 14.99 on release. I run Windows 10 on its own HDD perfectly legally as I have not breached any of the EULA

dunno what your problem is to be honest take a chill pill man
Old 26-06-2015, 09:49   #735
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Don't worry about it John the person in question always has a problem on this Forum.

---------- Post added at 09:49 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

I wonder when we will see the next build? Maybe next week.