Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Password change on a Superhub?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Which could download more..

Old 09-02-2012, 19:27   #1
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter
Which could download more..

Ok I'm sure someone here maybe able to do the maths..

Over a 12 hour period say 12 noon until 12 midnight which could download the most.A £27.50 a month Virginmedia 30Mb connection or a £7.50 a month Sky ADSL connection running at around 14Mb/s.

The sky connection is completely unmanaged the VM would hit management.
New to cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2012, 19:38   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Which could download more..

Assuming you're downloading at full speed, you'd be able to download 50% more on Sky.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 19:54   #3
New to cable
Permanently Banned

New to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutterNew to cable likes to dwell in the gutter

Yeah I guess you'd need both running max speed to know for sure.

Here is my 50Mb current speed and it will be like this until around midnight, same every single evening from 6pm till after midnight.

Still I canceled today so just 30 days to go.
Old 09-02-2012, 20:12   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Wanna see my 50mb?
Old 09-02-2012, 20:20   #5
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

ISn't the Sky system contended and so speeds would self throttle as everyone else piles in?>

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 21:08   #6
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

I was on UKOnline a few years back who ran on the same infrastructure as Sky but have since been closed down. There was never any visible contention.

They hacked me off on pricing (new customers £5 less and no reductions for existing) and wouldn't let me leave early despite some issues with their IWF filter blocking several file lockers entirely. I tied to get kicked off and ran the http://www.majestic12.co.uk/ crawler flat out for 3 months until my contract was up. That used terabytes a month and they never batter an eye and neither did it slow down.

I've heard that Sky don't have any noticeable contention either and suspect it's true.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 21:44   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
I tied to get kicked off and ran the http://www.majestic12.co.uk/ crawler flat out for 3 months until my contract was up. That used terabytes a month and they never batter an eye and neither did it slow down.
Yikes.

Though I'm tempted to try run that on a farm of 10-gig servers just for some extreme e-peen.
Old 09-02-2012, 22:15   #8
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

The Sky forum is fullof speed issues. Contention or what?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 22:30   #9
New to cable
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The Sky forum is fullof speed issues. Contention or what?
Yeah I checked the Sky forums before I signed up to Sky, it seems 95% of people with issues are on "Sky Connect" which is a BT IP Stream service.

That's like being on Virginmedia's ADSL service. The full unbundled Sky unlimited service is what I am on which is on Sky's 100Gb fibre backbone

The old UK-Online infrastructure but massively expanded and not contended when compared to Virginmedia's contention issues.[COLOR="Silver"]
Old 09-02-2012, 22:44   #10
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Whats that link all about in simple words kwik?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 00:40   #11
satellite-man
Inactive

Services: Sky Entertainment Extra/HD Pack Northern Ireland, VM 50MB BB, VM M TV, VM M Phone, BT Unlimited
satellite-man is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Wanna see my 50mb?
lol hows it that fast or are you taking the pee ?
satellite-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 00:49   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

8mb isn't fast.
Old 19-02-2012, 02:55   #13
satellite-man
Inactive

Services: Sky Entertainment Extra/HD Pack Northern Ireland, VM 50MB BB, VM M TV, VM M Phone, BT Unlimited
satellite-man is an unknown quantity at this point

my bad i saw you signature & thought it was your speed lol
satellite-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 07:28   #14
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
Whats that link all about in simple words kwik?
Only just saw this.

The project is run by somebody I met up with on a forum in a different life. His dream is to produce a community search engine where all the crawling (information gathering) is done by volunteers on their own connections rather than as a commercial enterprise which can control search results for its own ends.

IMO it's a laudable aim but I don't believe it can ever actually succeed. It's been running years now and last time I looked there was no viable search engine although it has indexed vast numbers of URL.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 13:29   #15
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

so your connection continues to max out with that running?

you say its a search engine yet it hasnt really taken off so how does your line max out.. is it the way its programed.. to leech onto all your available bandwidth ?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote