Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cable Modem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cable Modem

Old 04-01-2009, 01:13   #16
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Cable Modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Another good example if your monitor, you dont get drivers for most monitors so you dont see your monitor in your device manager either, you just see your display adaptor (graphics card) and your monitor is connected to that.
Er that one doesn't work actually as monitors DO show up in the Device Manager - even it is just 'Plug and Play Monitor'
Old 04-01-2009, 01:19   #17
Asoltan
Inactive

Services: Freeview TV and Cable internet
Asoltan is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all your help
BTW what does FTTH mean?
Asoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:28   #18
xocemp

Fiber to the home, and I have no idea why that was posted by v0id.

Linky
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTTH

[Edit]
My bad v0id, I see where fiber was mentioned.
Asoltan, the thick white cable in your modem is COAX
Old 04-01-2009, 01:29   #19
kpanchev
Inactive

Services: BB L package
kpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoltan View Post
thanks for all your help
BTW what does FTTH mean?
This means fibre to the home (premises) and as far as I know, it hasn't happened yet anywhere in the UK. Which means that you don't have fibre.
kpanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:40   #20
Asoltan
Inactive

My mistake, The last 4.5metres of cable are in fact coax, But up to the outside wall of my house there is fibre optic cable, so i think kpanchev is just being pedantic
Old 04-01-2009, 01:45   #21
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer

Nope, sory Asoltan up to your house is coax too.
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:53   #22
kpanchev
Inactive

Services: BB L package
kpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My mistake, The last 4.5metres of cable are in fact coax, But up to the outside wall of my house there is fibre optic cable, so i think kpanchev is just being pedantic
Who told you that? Or maybe you believe all the adverts from Virgin media? Sorry to disappoint you, but welcome to the club!
kpanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:55   #23
xocemp

You may find its more like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HF...rk_Diagram.png

Coax after the optical node.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:37   #24
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Er that one doesn't work actually as monitors DO show up in the Device Manager - even it is just 'Plug and Play Monitor'
I know, but i don't count that, generic devices are a waste of time, i was refering to a defined and customisable peripheral
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:12   #25
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Nope anything up to the last 500m or more could be coax, it's Fibre to a street cabinet and then Coax thereafter, and it might not even be Fibre to your local street cabinet either.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:24   #26
Asoltan
Inactive

The optical node is directly outside my house, the outside wall of my house is directly adjacent to the distribution box, I watched the engineer putting the cable in and he showed me the fibre optic cable entering the box.
I stand by my last post, (though I must admit I did believe that it was all the way to my modem)
Old 04-01-2009, 12:32   #27
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

In which case fair enough, but for most people as you can imagine this isn't the case, not all of the street cabinets contain an optical connection
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 13:12   #28
Asoltan
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
In which case fair enough, but for most people as you can imagine this isn't the case, not all of the street cabinets contain an optical connection

I wasn't aware of this untill I started this thread. I remember VM's adverts saying about fibre optic and believed that everyone was being converted to FO, I still dont know why my speed is so slow though.
I've emailed Virgin with test results and await their reply.
Old 04-01-2009, 15:17   #29
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Does this have a impact on what servers are offered in this area, I always thought that fiber ran all the way to the street cabs which is why they can offer 20MB as the coax run from the street cab to your house is then quite small?
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 18:09   #30
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Nope. the fact its an HFC network allows the services.

Virgin will be able to run 200Mbit over the co-ax in the future