Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cable Modem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Packet loss every 30 seconds (approximately)

Old 28-12-2008, 21:41   #1
hugo60
Inactive

hugo60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Packet loss every 30 seconds (approximately)

Hi, I am currently on the 10mb wireless package and play online games frequently, mainly first person shooters. My problem is that every 30 seconds or so i get packet loss and the game will jitter for about 2 seconds. It is extremely frustrating and is stopping me from being able to play properly.

Going wired isn't really an option for me I don't thinnk, so any ideas what i could do? My Signal strength and speed are fine.
hugo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-12-2008, 21:47   #2
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
Re: Packet loss every 30 seconds (approximately)

Change the wireless channel.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 21:50   #3
hugo60
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningmags View Post
Change the wireless channel.
To any in particular? Must i reset the router/Modem after doing so?
Old 28-12-2008, 21:53   #4
moaningmags
Inactive

moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Which channel is it on now? It maye be the default of ch6, if so try channel 1, test it, if no good try channel 11, test it, if still no good try middling channels. No need to reboot afterwards just make sure you click apply at the bottom of the page.
Old 28-12-2008, 23:12   #5
hugo60
Inactive

Yeah its channel 6 atm. I'll try this and repost after, thanks.

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

Tried several of them and no improvement really, any other ideas?
Old 28-12-2008, 23:13   #6
moaningmags
Inactive

Interference from other wireless equipment in the house?
Old 28-12-2008, 23:28   #7
Stabhappy
Inactive

Services: XXL BB + M Phone
Stabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Stabhappy

Is the jittering hardware related? It may sound patronising to ask but gotta cover all bases.

To check, is the screen sort of 'locking up'? What game?

If it's a Source engine game, enable the developer console and then in said console enter net_graph 1. If there are lots of ping spikes then it's network related, if not and it seems more stuttery or like it's locking up, try turning details in the game down.

Do you use VOIP or any similar things? Streaming audio? Does that spike? What game server?

I know it's a lot of information to gather but as I said, cover all bases and you'll get all the problems sorted
Stabhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 23:51   #8
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

Wireless just doesn't cut it for FPS gaming. I have a wireless n router in the same room as the computer and when it's on the wireless I still get ping spikes.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 00:25   #9
hugo60
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabhappy View Post
Is the jittering hardware related? It may sound patronising to ask but gotta cover all bases.

To check, is the screen sort of 'locking up'? What game?

If it's a Source engine game, enable the developer console and then in said console enter net_graph 1. If there are lots of ping spikes then it's network related, if not and it seems more stuttery or like it's locking up, try turning details in the game down.

Do you use VOIP or any similar things? Streaming audio? Does that spike? What game server?

I know it's a lot of information to gather but as I said, cover all bases and you'll get all the problems sorted
I get it on all games and all servers; CSS, BF2, War Rock etc. I have ran the net graph while playing on css and every minute or so the game stutters and the lost packets will go up to around 40 and drop back down. My pc runs the games fine in terms of frames per second. No, i dont use VOIP.
Old 29-12-2008, 01:57   #10
Stabhappy
Inactive

Services: XXL BB + M Phone
Stabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Stabhappy

Are all of these games online? (Again, I apologise for the potentially insulting question).

Although I can pretty much now see that it is infact due to wireless, is there any chance you could throw the modem onto your machine for a direct test to check it's not a network/pc issue?
Stabhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 02:11   #11
hugo60
Inactive

Yep they are all online games. I'm not sure what you mean by this direct test and how to do it.
Old 29-12-2008, 02:40   #12
moaningmags
Inactive

Connect the modem direct to the machine that you use for online gaming.

This will allow you to test if the router itself is causing the issue.
Old 30-12-2008, 01:35   #13
hugo60
Inactive

Don't think i will be able to do that without taking my pc downstairs which is a pain in the ass. I think i had it with my old router aswell though :S
Old 03-01-2009, 19:29   #14
hugo60
Inactive

Any other ideas? Or am I just going to have to put up with it?
Old 03-01-2009, 20:32   #15
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer

You need to find out where the loss is happening - you could try opening four command prompt windows and running ping (with whatever the windows switch to keep it running is -t ?) and then run pings to these places

The router - 192.168.1.1
The modem - 192.168.100.1
The default gateway - you will need to look at the router config to find this it will look like the routers public ip (the one you get from the connectio link aqt the top of this page) but probably end with .1 the second last number may differ too.
The server you are playing on. - should show up in the server browser in game.

Just let them run for a while and look for any packet loss or high pings.

You could try running tracert over and over again but this way you can set it going and sit back and watch.
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote