Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin wireless G Router.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin wireless G Router.

Old 29-04-2008, 16:27   #1
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura
Belkin wireless G Router.

Could I please have some advice. I am hoping to get a laptop in the near future and any money I can save on the router can increase my spending on the laptop. . I am currently on 4MB BB and should be increased to 10MB some time this century. My main computer will still be in use and I am proposing to go wireless with the laptop.

I have a Belkin wireless G router stuffed in the back of a cupboard, a leftover from when my son lived at home and our 2 computers were running from the same BB connection.

1st question...The system requirements on the box only go from Windows 98SE to XP. It seems that all the laptops I look at now have Vista installed and I was wondering if the Belkin will be able to deal with this?

2nd question... If it can handle Vista will it be able to handle 10MB? I don't know if this is relevant but it says on the box
Interoperable with: 204GHz Band{11 Mbps and 54 Mbps
Ports
  • 4-10/100Base-Tx auto-sensing and auto-uplink RJ45 ports(LAN)
  • 1-10/100Base-TxRJ45 port,(WAN)
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Belkin_Compone...outer__5439381
I have really tried to google the answers but the sites I have found loose me after the first paragraph.....OK I'll come clean, they loose me after the first sentence...
Old 29-04-2008, 16:39   #2
trevortt
Permanently Banned

trevortt is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Belkin wireless G Router.

I haver heard that Vista does not like Belkin hardware as the manufacturers 'Belkin' have not got any decent drivers that work with it.
trevortt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 16:50   #3
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Thanks for the quick response trevortt, but, Oh I do so hope that is not the case. Maybe someone else who uses a Belkin could say if they have had any success with Vista?
Old 29-04-2008, 17:11   #4
piggy
Inactive

piggy has disabled reputation

have a look on the belkin site all vista drivers are on there you wont have a problem
piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 17:16   #5
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Thanks piggy, if it can work with Vista that's half way to saving me some money to spend on my new laptop.
Old 29-04-2008, 18:35   #6
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

The answers to your questions are yes and yes, and I'm not sure what relevance the OS has to to the router. They talk to each other with IP so you don't need any specific driver.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 19:06   #7
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevortt View Post
I haver heard that Vista does not like Belkin hardware as the manufacturers 'Belkin' have not got any decent drivers that work with it.
trevortt where did you hear that kind of b****cks?

routers have nothing to do with OS.

Jog, you should be fine with that router, if its the F5D7230 which I think it is then it will work fine.

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Thanks for the quick response trevortt, but, Oh I do so hope that is not the case. Maybe someone else who uses a Belkin could say if they have had any success with Vista?
joglynne, I used to work for belkin in the tech support... there isnt an issue with belkin routers and vista
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 19:40   #8
trevortt
Permanently Banned

trevortt is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDutch View Post
trevortt where did you hear that kind of b****cks?

routers have nothing to do with OS.

Jog, you should be fine with that router, if its the F5D7230 which I think it is then it will work fine.

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

joglynne, I used to work for belkin in the tech support... there isnt an issue with belkin routers and vista
trevortt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 22:21   #9
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Thank you all for your help. Now if only I could make up my mind which laptop to buy...........maybe a new thread is in order .... maybe not....back to google.
Old 29-04-2008, 22:28   #10
redhand
Inactive

redhand will become famous soon enoughredhand will become famous soon enoughredhand will become famous soon enough

I have used the Belkin G from a XP desktop and ran a vista laptop from it with no probs at all. Decent speeds and range!
redhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2008, 23:03   #11
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Thanks redhand. Extra reassurance is always welcome.
Old 30-04-2008, 07:44   #12
snowey
Inactive

Services: Virgin media, tv, telephone, cable bb,30mb,mobile, tivo.
snowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhand View Post
I have used the Belkin G from a XP desktop and ran a vista laptop from it with no probs at all. Decent speeds and range!

I have the same, and set up. no problems,
snowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 14:38   #13
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Thanks snowey, another for my Belkin.
Old 30-04-2008, 15:01   #14
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Thanks snowey, another for my Belkin.
Can i have a tick too please?
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2008, 15:16   #15
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
Can i have a tick too please?
Here you go. Could I ask what you are going to do with it. They do have to be looked after and entertained or they get