Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Budget, March 2012

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Budget, March 2012
View Poll Results: What do you think of this years Budget?
It's great, I am better off! 8 14.81%
Utter Tosh, losing out again! 19 35.19%
Neither gaining or losing (What the chancellor has given with one hand has taken with the other hand) 17 31.48%
I'm Unsure 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21-03-2012, 14:07   #16
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads
Re: Todays Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Motorist still shafted
least the VED, fuel duty not gone up but this privatisation the roads will indeed shaft us.

interesting nugget on aviation but why south east surely nationwide aviation system needed it should not be all about london whats betting if its not favourable its ignored.

Report on the future of aviation in south-east England to be published in the summer.
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2012, 14:09   #17
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Okay i am a smoker 1st of all.

So why are us smokers being shafted again jeez
Old 21-03-2012, 14:12   #18
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
least the VED.... not gone up
Quote:
Vehicle excise duty to rise by inflation
Old 21-03-2012, 14:13   #19
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Motorist still shafted
Yes l am afraid so.
Old 21-03-2012, 14:13   #20
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDutch View Post

always do but it would be good idea to support alternatives which less harmful. People will smake whatever they price it.

The other is what happens when all stop there tax system in trouble.

Same with motorist tax it too much loses treasury money.

They may not like the smokers, the alcoholics, the motorist killing environment but they cant do without them.
Old 21-03-2012, 14:14   #21
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

They see smokers as a very easy target l am afraid.
Old 21-03-2012, 14:20   #22
mertle
Inactive

Cheers taff its not on the budget at glance

indeed corrected we shafted again.

Anybody get air this very predictable budget usual suspects get hammered usual suspects laugh at us mortals as they see more money to put in caymen isles banks.

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

new stealth tax coming sound it alternative environment tax

GREEN MEASURES

Government to seek "major savings" in the adminstrative cost of the Carbon Reduction Commitment, and bring forward an alternative environment tax this autumn if such savings cannot be found.
Old 21-03-2012, 14:23   #23
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

I would love to see what happens if the UK population wouldn't smoke for a month and see what George tries to do then
Old 21-03-2012, 14:37   #24
mertle
Inactive

Quote:
I would love to see what happens if the UK population wouldn't smoke for a month and see what George tries to do then
all the MP's smoking 1,000 a day to try madly recover some losses haha.

Maybe its worth smokers to try it but its the cravings which the government know it they cant stop.

They literally relying on the hardcore to keep puffing.

time for overhaul update to read

INCOME TAX

From April 2013, the 50p top rate of tax will be cut to 45p.
Continue reading the main story Full Budget Documents

PDF download Budget 2012[707 KB]
Most computers will open PDF documents automatically, but you may need Adobe Reader

Personal income tax allowance raised to £9,205 from April 2013, making 24 million people £220 a year better off, including higher rate earners.
New general anti-tax avoidance rule to be introduced.
Age-related allowances to be removed for new pensioners from April 2013, and replaced with a single personal allowance for all.
Allowances for those already of pension age to be frozen, but George Osborne said "no pensioner will lose in cash terms".
CHILD BENEFIT

Will be phased out when someone in a household has an income of more than £50,000. It will fall by 1% for every £100 earned over £50,000.
Only those earning more than £60,000 will lose the entirety of the benefit.
ECONOMY

Independent Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) revises up UK growth forecast for 2012 to 0.8% - from 0.7%.
Forecast for 2013 is 2%, for 2014 is 2.7%, and in each of the two years after that 3%.
Eurozone growth forecast for this year revised down from 0.5% to -0.3%.
UK inflation forecast to fall from 2.8% this year to 1.9% next year.
BORROWING

Borrowing this year to be £126bn - £1bn less than forecast in the autumn. Predicted to be £120bn in 2012-13 and £98bn in 2013-14. Forecast to fall to £21bn by 2016-17.
Consultation to be held on offering gilts - government bonds - with maturity terms of more than 50 years.
JOBS AND SKILLS

OBR forecasts unemployment to peak this year at 8.7% before falling each year to 6.3% by 2016-17.
One million more jobs to be created in the economy over five years, OBR says.
HOUSING

From midnight, new stamp duty level of 7% for homes worth more than £2m. Any such homes bought through companies will pay 15%.
Extra funding to help construction firms building new homes.
HELP FOR BUSINESS

Corporation tax cut to 24% from next month. By 2014 it will fall to 22%.
Enhanced capital allowances for businesses setting up in new Scottish enterprise zones in Dundee, Irvine and Nigg. A Welsh enterprise zone to be created in Deeside.
Consultation on simplifying the tax system for small firms with a turnover of up to £77,000.
Government support for £150m of tax increment financing to help councils promote development and an extra £270m for the Growing Places fund.
Tax relief for the video games, animation and high-end television production sectors.
Government considering enterprise loans for young people to start their own business.
Relaxation of Sunday trading laws on eight Sundays during Olympics and Paralympics, starting July 22.
ARMED FORCES

Cost of operations in Afghanistan to be £2.4bn less than expected.
Money saved will provide an extra £100m to improve military accommodation.
Personnel serving overseas will receive 100% relief on an average council tax bill.
Families welfare grant also doubled.
PUBLIC SECTOR

Government evidence to be published on the case for regional public sector pay.
Option for government departments to move to regional pay structures for civil servants when current freeze ends.
ENERGY

"Major package of tax changes" to boost oil and gas extraction in North Sea, along with £3bn new field allowance west of Shetland.
FUEL, CIGARETTE AND ALCOHOL DUTIES

Duty on all tobacco products to rise by 5% above inflation from 18:00 today - the equivalent of 37p on a packet of cigarettes.
No change to existing plans on alcohol duty.
New duty on gaming machines at a standard rate of 20% and a lower rate for low-prize machines of 5% of net takings.
No change to existing plans on fuel duty. Vehicle excise duty to rise by inflation, but frozen for road hauliers.
Existing fair fuel stabiliser means above-inflation rises in fuel duty will return only if price of oil falls below £45 ($70) a barrel.
PENSIONS

Automatic review of state pension age to ensure it keeps pace with increasing lifespans.
New single-tier state pension for future pensioners to be set at about £140 and based on contributions.
TRANSPORT AND INFRASTRUCTURE

Extend electrification of the Transpennine route between Manchester and Sheffield. Further improvements to the lines between Manchester and Preston, and Manchester and Blackpool.
Report on the future of aviation in south-east England to be published in the summer.
Funding for superfast broadband and wi-fi in the UK's 10 largest cities.
OTHER TAXES AND ALLOWANCES

Bank levy to be increased to 0.105% from January 2013 "to ensure that corporation tax cuts do not benefit the banks". The levy will raise £2.5bn a year.
New cap on tax reliefs set at 25% of total income for anyone claiming more than £50,000 in a year, but no significant change to pensions relief.
VAT loopholes and anomalies to be removed - including removing exemptions for sports nutrition drinks and hot takeaway products in supermarkets.
Existing exemptions will remain for food, children's clothes, books and newspapers.
Personal tax statement to be sent to 20 million taxpayers from 2014.
GREEN MEASURES

Government to seek "major savings" in the administrative cost of the Carbon Reduction Commitment, and bring forward an alternative environment tax this autumn if such savings cannot be found.
Old 21-03-2012, 14:54   #25
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Poll added!
Old 21-03-2012, 15:06   #26
mertle
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Poll added!
thanks mick can you do favour post before you should be the first post in the list.

This then gives people idea what they polling on.

Anyway some NUGGET apparantly the review which Osbourne based his findings on about 50% tax or 40% tax is FLAWED.

Channel 4 doing programme

Not sure this should be new topic to be discussed if so can mod do it for me.

http://www.channel4.com/news/emma-ha...p-tax-analysis
Old 21-03-2012, 15:06   #27
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: Todays BUDGET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'm not sure I buy the rather self-serving argument that the higher tax rate disincentivises people from growing their business. People who make £200,000 a year are already generally highly capable and ambitious people who invest and grow their businesses because they can. They don't sit around refusing to do it because the chancellor has taken a few extra quid from their pay.
Not true. It makes me feel really demoralised when I see how much tax I pay......especially when it's proportionally more than a lot of other people, just because I manage to earn more money. It makes me feel like the govt is only there to take from me and give me bugger all back.
(Then the council takes their pound of flesh, both private and business rates (don't get me started))
Old 21-03-2012, 15:16   #28
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
A fresh air tax
Old 21-03-2012, 15:37   #29
mertle
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
A fresh air tax
as maggy says dont give them IDEA's
Old 21-03-2012, 15:48   #30
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Todays BUDGET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Not true. It makes me feel really demoralised when I see how much tax I pay......especially when it's proportionally more than a lot of other people, just because I manage to earn more money. It makes me feel like the govt is only there to take from me and give me bugger all back.
(Then the council takes their pound of flesh, both private and business rates (don't get me started))
That's usually the way income tax works. It's not uncommon for there to be increasing rates of tax up the pay scale. It's difficult to go to one rate that can be applied to all, you either tax those on low incomes too much or those on high incomes too little. Those on higher incomes will pay more because they are judged to be able to afford to do so, they are not 'scraping' by the same was as a family on £15,000 will be. It makes sense to reduce the tax burden on those on lower incomes first, it strikes me as basic decency.

That's not to say those on higher incomes are living the high life and don't also struggle nor that it's a perfect system but there doesn't seem to be an obvious alternative.
Closed Thread