Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 31-03-2011, 22:03   #5791
Johnlouis
Inactive

Services: TiVo-XL TV; XL30 BB; M Phone; Virgin Mobile
Johnlouis is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmic1988 View Post
You can't record 3 and watch a 4th unfortunately :-)
Yes, you can. But the 4th would have to be a pre-recorded programme

Edit: Oops! My bad. Didn't read Masques post properly, he does seem to imply you can watch a 4th *channel* and then goes on to mention the recording. My apologies cozmic!
Advertisement
Old 31-03-2011, 22:04   #5792
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnlouis View Post
Yes, you can. But the 4th would have to be a pre-recorded programme
Or via the modem connection - so iPlayer or YouTube
Old 31-03-2011, 22:05   #5793
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmic1988 View Post
You can't record 3 and watch a 4th unfortunately :-)
You did fully read my post as I did mention the recorded part and the BBC iplayer which can be watched.
Old 31-03-2011, 22:08   #5794
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Not sure £149 + £40 'install' is a "special" deal. Especially when you never actually own the kit and still have to pay a monthly sub for the privilege.

I wonder what discount retentions will do when it comes to general release? Or will they only be for Dean :p
Old 31-03-2011, 22:09   #5795
Johnlouis
Inactive

Fair enuff. I'll get me coat....
Old 31-03-2011, 22:09   #5796
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
You did fully read my post as I did mention the recorded part and the BBC iplayer which can be watched.
Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't think the majority are questioning the Features of the box more the price it's been set at.
Old 31-03-2011, 22:11   #5797
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnlouis View Post
Fair enuff. I'll get me coat....
Make sure you don't take Dean's
Old 31-03-2011, 22:11   #5798
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
How many channels can a S1 TiVo record while playing another channel, can an S1 use Virginmedia VOD or the BBC iplayer as standard.

Is the Virginmedia going to have support past the the summer unlike the the S1.

I expect yourself and others can find out these easy answers but to help.

The Virginmedia TiVo can record 3 channels while you watch a 4th or play a recording or watch VOD unlike an S1.
And that's leaving out the Apps functionality. Cindy Rose has said to expect a hundred within a year. Connected TV is the future and Tivo is 'the' PVR for that.
Old 31-03-2011, 22:11   #5799
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't think the majority are questioning the Features of the box more the price it's been set at.
I was answering a question regarding the difference between the S1 and the VM TiVo but with the amount of posts it quickly gets swallowed.
Old 31-03-2011, 22:12   #5800
Adder
Inactive

Services: VM TiVo, XL TV, M Broadband
Adder is on a distinguished roadAdder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was answering a question regarding the difference between the S1 and the VM TiVo but with the amount of posts it quickly gets swallowed.
The question was actually what can it do that neither a V+ or S1 can do, not the difference.
Old 31-03-2011, 22:14   #5801
Johnlouis
Inactive

Talking Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
Make sure you don't take Dean's
I could always hang it back up, and charge him £40 "installation"
Old 31-03-2011, 22:15   #5802
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
And that's leaving out the Apps functionality. Cindy Rose has said to expect a hundred within a year. Connected TV is the future and Tivo is 'the' PVR for that.
Didn't she say that 5 months ago?

BBC Red Button might be a start!
Old 31-03-2011, 22:16   #5803
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
Didn't she say that 5 months ago?

BBC Red Button might be a start!
She told me they were in talks for ESPNA HD over 12 months ago
Old 31-03-2011, 22:17   #5804
kered10
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media Big Kahuna with TiVo
kered10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking forward to getting TiVo again.

I think TiVo S1 cost £450 when it was launched in the UK, + £10 per month or £200 for lifetime service. I couldn't afford that, but when the last of them were for sale at £150 in Comet, I was delighted to get one, probably 2004 or thereabouts? Didn't do the lifetime subs, so paid about £600 in monthly subs until I changed to V+ in Nov 2009. Incidentally, before getting it, my wife grumbled about "VCR perfectly OK, don't need new tech." When it was over a year old and out of warranty and I was going to change the 40GB (yes, 0.04TB!) HDD to 120GB, she instead was worried, "what if you break it, we can't live without TiVo!"

So I was sad to stop using my TiVo S1, but the press release about Virgin contracting TiVo to develop the new boxes came out on the day that the V+ was installed, which seemed like a good omen!

It has been a long time coming, I've followed the news and rumours here and on DS and TiVo Community every day over the last 16 months, pre-reg'd on Dec 1st, didn't get a free remote, didn't win the other draw, did get my Hello Dean email today, and I'll definitely be ordering one. As you can see above, I wasn't an early adopter on S1, but £450 was a lot of money to me back then, £149+£40 is much more manageable, £3/month better than £10.

Nobody's being forced, but I think most people that pay up will be happy with what they get, and despite the disappointment of many posters on here, it doesn't matter whether you call the different fees activation, installation, whatever, pre-regs are getting £50 off the publicised price.

Derek
Old 31-03-2011, 22:26   #5805
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by kered10 View Post
Looking forward to getting TiVo again.

I think TiVo S1 cost £450 when it was launched in the UK, + £10 per month or £200 for lifetime service. I couldn't afford that, but when the last of them were for sale at £150 in Comet, I was delighted to get one, probably 2004 or thereabouts? Didn't do the lifetime subs, so paid about £600 in monthly subs until I changed to V+ in Nov 2009. Incidentally, before getting it, my wife grumbled about "VCR perfectly OK, don't need new tech." When it was over a year old and out of warranty and I was going to change the 40GB (yes, 0.04TB!) HDD to 120GB, she instead was worried, "what if you break it, we can't live without TiVo!"

So I was sad to stop using my TiVo S1, but the press release about Virgin contracting TiVo to develop the new boxes came out on the day that the V+ was installed, which seemed like a good omen!

It has been a long time coming, I've followed the news and rumours here and on DS and TiVo Community every day over the last 16 months, pre-reg'd on Dec 1st, didn't get a free remote, didn't win the other draw, did get my Hello Dean email today, and I'll definitely be ordering one. As you can see above, I wasn't an early adopter on S1, but £450 was a lot of money to me back then, £149+£40 is much more manageable, £3/month better than £10.

Nobody's being forced, but I think most people that pay up will be happy with what they get, and despite the disappointment of many posters on here, it doesn't matter whether you call the different fees activation, installation, whatever, pre-regs are getting £50 off the publicised price.

Derek
I think half the problem here is that if the 1st and only price/way to get your hands on a TiVo was £190 then that wouldn't be so bad. It's the fact that everyone else so far has either had one completely free including monthly sub, or a flat £149 charge which includes installation.

So in fact not only have they had it months before everyone else, they also got it completely free in some cases!

Now VM expect me to pay £190 whilst also being at least 2 months late to the party.
Closed Thread