Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Internet keeps timing out?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help Please

Old 27-01-2007, 14:21   #1
lolly1963
Inactive

lolly1963 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help Please

Hi,
Hopefully somebody can steer me in the right direction. Here goes.
We have Telewest broadband via tv drive on old Netgear Access point (ethernet cable plugged into back of tv drive. Netgear ma101 adapter plugged into desktop although i dont know why because it is wireless enabled IEEE 802.11g WLAN 54 Mbit/s (means nothing to me!) Have xbox 360 with microsoft wireless adapter, that has been working superb and found out it has been working through a close neighbours unsecured linksys connection!!!
We found this out last night as our new first laptop arrived and we were trying to connect this to our internet. Telewest said our wireless only allows 1 computer connection. Anyway, the laptop is Integrated intel pro/wireless 3945abg (802.11abg) Means nothing again to me. Anyhow, we tried the laptop without anything plugged in and again connected to unsecure network for a minute. However, we had to plug in the MA101 adapter to the lappy to connect to our connection. My cousin didnt know why that was and said it wasnt necessary.
Anyway, after a WHOLE DAY on the phone to Telwest to explain, they have now said i need an engineer to come and fit a wired to wireless modem, and then i need a router to connect all 3 things. Is that correct? Is their something we could buy ourselves to plug into the tv drive (much easier i think) or is that not an option. If i upgraded to their 4 meg service then i get the router free,BUT, i cannot believe this, they wont send that out until after they have installed the cable modem and thats not being fitted until 15 th february at the moment. How dumb is that! The i wont have any internet connection only by plugging in physicaly to the cable modem.
I am sooo confused, can somebody please tell me the best thing to do or buy which is quite simple to use.
Sorry for the long post, its been a long and confusing day too!

CHeers
Lorraine (thank god hubby is at work i need to hit somebody!!!
lolly1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-01-2007, 14:45   #2
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Help Please

I didn't realise they did broadband via the TVDrive.

You do need a router to be able to connect more than one computer to the broadband.

You'll only be getting 1 IP address from the modem in your TVDrive.

A wireless access point can't share a single-IP connection, it's just like the wireless equivalent of a hub.

To share a normal single IP connection, you need a router (or use Internet Connection Sharing, which is free, but annoying, & requires having one "server" computer on all the time whenever you want to connect with another).

Routers are quite cheap now, even wireless ones. Linksys are a popular make here.

You'd need a wireless cable/DSL router, which would act as a NAT Router (to share the connection) + ethernet switch (for wired devices) + wireless access point.

If you get your own, make sure you don't get an ADSL modem/router.

If you continue using the STB for broadband, then the router would simply plug into the STB, while your computers & Xbox connect to the router via wires or wireless.

If you get Telewest to install a standalone cable modem, then the router would connect to that instead of the STB.

There are various threads with router recommendations.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 14:55   #3
lolly1963
Inactive

Hi and thanks for your reply.
I am a bit thick being a woman but here goes.
What you are saying is then, i can buy a dsl router (for wireless) which plugs into the tv drive box via ethernet. That way i dont have to buy a cable modem then. I am only on 1 meg but it has been fine, and really we dont tend to need pc,desktop and xbox360 on at same time.
Will it then be easy for me to set up the 3 things to the router?
Is it right that i do not need any adapters for my wireless pc and laptop (although at present i have the netgear adapter plugged into desktop) dont know why, maybe because what is plugged into tv drive at the minute (access point and not a router)
If i bought one of these routers now,to use straight away with the tv drive,will it work later with the cable modem that telewest are installing in Feb? Dont want to waste any more money than i have to!
DO i make any sense here....

Cheers
Lorraine
Old 27-01-2007, 15:38   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

If you buy a standard broadband wireless router (not one with an inbuilt ADSL modem) then it should be able to connect to any system that provides a broadband connection.

If your laptop already has an inbuilt wireless card, that should be able to speak to the wireless router, as should any other wireless device. You do need to check that the wireless setup in the router is appropriate for your computers, i.e. are they all 802.11g or are any 802.11b speeds? If you have a mix you must make sure that mixed setup is enabled.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 17:58   #5
Quam256
Inactive

Services: XL,Phone and 60mb .
Quam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of light

If you are happy with the 2Mb have that and buy yourself a router .
Save the extra cost monthly.
Quam256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 19:01   #6
lolly1963
Inactive

Hi and Thanks everybody for your help.
All the offer ones on pc world and dixons etc were out of stock.
So got one at Argos just now, a Neatgear one on offer for £49.99 and the usb adapter (although i dont think i need it) on offer for £9,99 instead of £29.99 as i bought the router with it.
If i dont need it then i can take it back for refund. I dont think there is anything plugged into back of my desktop pc, ie some sort of aerial i may need, so will phone Medion helpline on Monday to see if i need anything, although it is already wireless enabled.
Getting there slowly! Think i will stick with the 2meg when they install the cable modem later on. At least the Netgear router will be able to be used through the tv drive box for the moment though (fingers crossed!!)
Have just ordered a Pizza for tea because this has took me ALL DAY..will need a lie down now.
My son is playing live on xbox 360 on a neighbours unsecured network so at least he is happy for now.
Thanks again, and i will be back later with up update, or even some more help!!
Cheers
Lorraine
Old 28-01-2007, 09:46   #7
lolly1963
Inactive

HI,
As you know i have bought the Netgear wireless router(still packaged up)
I discovered thismorning that i can also buy the Linksys WRT54GSUK for £46.99 in CUrrys.
Which one is better please?
Thanks
Lorraine
Old 28-01-2007, 13:28   #8
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolly1963 View Post
HI,
As you know i have bought the Netgear wireless router(still packaged up)
I discovered thismorning that i can also buy the Linksys WRT54GSUK for £46.99 in CUrrys.
Which one is better please?
Thanks
Lorraine
Couldnt say which one is better, but the most popular choice on these boards is the Linksys model you mentioned. You shouldnt have any problems with the Linksys. I have set 3 up myself with no trouble.

Its also a bit cheaper here > - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WRT5...&s=electronics
Old 28-01-2007, 15:41   #9
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

I have a Linksys router which is great. Can't tell you whether it's better than a Netgear one though as I've never used one.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2007, 17:17   #10
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

My vote goes for the Linksys as i have a WRT54GS and haven't had any problems with it yet. I use mine hardwired to the PC and wireless to the Xbox 360.
Old 28-01-2007, 18:05   #11
lolly1963
Inactive

Hi All,
Thanks for your replies.
I went for the Linksys one and got Currys to pricematch PC world web exclusive of £41. On offer at Amazon for £39.99 but then i would have to wait a while for it to arrive.
So all in all not a bad deal, but hope everything goes ok when ready to try it.

Thanks again
Lorraine