Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel

Old 13-03-2012, 13:00   #106
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the main problem with the wifi router part, and not the modem?

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 ----------

That is just a matter of opinion. I've had no problems with mine at all.

VM are a business, and they have to make a profit. It wouldn't make good business sense to pay more for a modem that is far higher than most peoples requirements. So as with most businesses, if you want better than the default, then you pay extra. This is no different to a mobile company supplying a basic mobile with a cheap package, and you having to pay more if you want to upgrade the phone.
People only need a modem to get online, the superhub is actually excessive.

I suspect the superhub costs more than a SACM but less than a SACM + gigabit router combo. Then we add the costs involved for the work done on the superhub firmware and bad publicity.

I personally do have problems using the superhub even just as a modem, it seems to emulate the behaviour of using a localhost proxy. (as my testing has now shown I can replicate the jitter effect by using a proxy). I also dont like I cannot place the superhub where I want to put my modem/routers due to its size and orientation.

I dont think anyone here who wants a SACM has said they wouldnt pay extra for the priviledge either
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2012, 13:02   #107
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
You really need to stop being so agressive and patronising in your posts. As I have said before I am posting as a consumer, and not a geek
You really need to stop making completely incorrect sweeping statements about things you don't know. Either back up your statements or don't make them.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 14:30   #108
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Admittedly it takes a lot of reading, but sonce the SH was introduced late in 2010, it has been unreliable. Modem mode came out 1 year later in response to user demands because of the SH's unreliability.

In addition to wireless issues (not just range), the forums constantly report instability, particularly the wretched device regularly resetting to factory default.

18 months on and the thing is still problematic except in modem mode.
As I have said previously, mine was replaced when I upgraded to 100mb, and I have had no problems at all with the replacement. Apparently it was replaced because there were issues with the earlier models. So maybe it is the old ones that are complained about.

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
You really need to stop making completely incorrect sweeping statements about things you don't know. Either back up your statements or don't make them.
My statements are correct in my experience as a consumer. Just because you don't agree doesn't make them wrong. So calm down and stop patronising people.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 15:35   #109
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Once again, rubbish. You were making sweeping statements about the whole of VM and their business plan. Nothing to do with your experience as a consumer.

Once again, stop changing your story and weaselling out of being wrong.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 15:44   #110
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
To add to Chrys' remarks, it's VM that needs the flogging over that wretched device. Why should people be "happy with what you have" when it's so obviously a pile of junk?

VM play their cards very close to their chest so nobody knows what they are minded to do about the SH's deficient router features. VM ignore people's wishes that they market an alternative device (CM only) albeit at a price. They might have a valid reason for not doing so, but they certainly don't share it with their customers.
If you are not happy with a provider and their product then move on..You all have a choice. Just spare us all the angst.

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I dont have high standards, I just want an all in one device that doesn't reboot, I can be using my phone and it will reboot. Currenty im using a dlink615 but I dont see why we should be forced to call the thing super, when it isnt.

Thats like calling virgin media "no utilisation issues virgin media" and you have to call it that even if your area is oversubscribed and your getting poor speeds because virgin called themselves that!

If something is super then fine, but in my experience its the worst router ive came across
But what is forcing you to stay with VM if you dislike their product?

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Quote:
For the record, I work in the Informatics department at my local university. I do it because learning about computers, information technology, and particularly wireless technology ARE interesting things to do for me. I hope you're not suggesting my line of work and my interests are "flogging a dead horse". I don't tell you or anyone else what you should or should not be interested in.
Nope just wondered why you feel the need to bore others with it incessantly?
Old 13-03-2012, 15:45   #111
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
If you are not happy with a provider and their product then move on..You all have a choice. Just spare us all the angst.
hes with bt infinity on their uncongested network where they supply a separate modem and router
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 15:45   #112
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Once again, rubbish. You were making sweeping statements about the whole of VM and their business plan. Nothing to do with your experience as a consumer.

Once again, stop changing your story and weaselling out of being wrong.
I'm a businessman (not a student), and know how businesses work. So some of my comments are from my experience as a businessman. Other comments are from my experience as a consumer who actually used a superhub with no problems at all.

I haven't changed my story. But I have asked you to stop being agressive in your posts. There is no need for it, and it is extremely childish.
Old 13-03-2012, 15:45   #113
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
It doesnt bore me
Old 13-03-2012, 15:48   #114
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
yes and no

yes they can use another router, no they cant use another modem (unless CEO office).
Or, and this maybe a novel idea, go to another provider entirely.It's not like there isn't plenty of choice these days..

---------- Post added at 15:48 ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
hes with bt infinity on their uncongested network where they supply a separate modem and router
So why is he obsessing about VM then?
Old 13-03-2012, 15:48   #115
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Old 13-03-2012, 15:49   #116
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

For Chrys its either 2mb adsl or cable, no infinity. Its a no brainer to me, id rather have an unreliable cable connection than a 2mb adsl line. Hardly a massive choice

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

Quote:
So why is he obsessing about VM then?
becuase virgin media are a cable provider and this forum is called cable forum
Old 13-03-2012, 15:52   #117
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
For Chrys its either 2mb adsl or cable, no infinity. Its a no brainer to me, id rather have an unreliable cable connection than a 2mb adsl line. Hardly a massive choice

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

Why are you replying for others?
Old 13-03-2012, 15:55   #118
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It's not a VM forum
Old 13-03-2012, 15:59   #119
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Why are you replying for others?
because i know the answers to your silly questions

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:59 ----------

Quote:
It's not a VM forum
i know, who said it was?
Old 13-03-2012, 16:01   #120
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
i know, who said it was?
Quote: