Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel

Old 12-03-2012, 13:55   #76
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel

Please remember that the CPE in Question is called the Superhub whether you like it or not. There is no need for childish nicknames at all, and also its breaking the CF T&Cs to do so.

Remember calling by its correct name also allows it to show up in google search if people are looking for help or advice.
Old 12-03-2012, 14:02   #77
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
A question doe qasi (and others who have done tests).

When I am at work I can pick up a Netgear wifi signal, with up to 2 bars on my iphone (which aren't good for wifi). The nearest domestic property is at least 150ft away. The signal is unsecured.

Is this likely to be a VM router, or an expensive alternative to have a range as good as that?
Cost won't make much of a difference. Remember the legal limit in the UK on 2.4Ghz is 100mw, or 20dB. The wireless card in the Superhub, without antennas, claims to output 21dB which is already above the legal maximum, and other Netgear devices such as the WNDR3700 go as high as 29dB with the built-in antennae, or eight times over the legal limit.

As such most devices are "turned down" to avoid breaking the law. Most devices can output more but aren't allowed to. Any more expensive routers aren't going to give you better signal because even cheap ones already hit the legal limit pretty easily.

As for whether it's Virgin Media, I can't say just based on the fact the SSID is "NETGEAR". Far as I know the current-gen (Superhub) and previous gen (DIR-615) VM routers come password protected with an SSID of "virginmedia123456" as did the standard Hub (Netgear modem + router in one, and the only other combi device VM have ever provided). All the devices I've seen that just yell out "NETGEAR" with no encryption have been standalone devices - but even that said some have been supplied by VM in the past.

For one, my WPN824 was supplied by VM, and it's got the best wireless range of any router I've ever tested as yet (in stock configuration) - and it does this by using Ruckus' exceedingly effective beamforming technology. That, by default did broadcast NETGEAR with no password.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 14:19   #78
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Please remember that the CPE in Question is called the Superhub whether you like it or not. There is no need for childish nicknames at all, and also its breaking the CF T&Cs to do so.

Remember calling by its correct name also allows it to show up in google search if people are looking for help or advice.
i assume you object to me calling it a shub??? not being childish just cant be bothr to tpye it, but i do take oyur point on it showing up on google search, i hope i havent called it any childish nae if so i apogolise, but if you mean callign it crap i do nto apogolise as tha tis my opinion
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 14:27   #79
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Are we not allowed to call it a shub?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 14:45   #80
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It's not Netgear kit per se that's got knackered wireless; it's the wretched SH which in router mode has just about knackered everything due to VM's spec.
Did you know the original firmware for the CG3101D is publicly available in source code format?

If I can get it to compile it'd be interesting to see how the Superhub works with Netgear's stock firmware vs. VM's modified version. Won't be anytime soon though.
Old 12-03-2012, 15:13   #81
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

does anyone have neil berkett email i am plannign emailing the ceo about a lot of verious things and comments
Old 12-03-2012, 15:31   #82
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Wn't the Thought Police jump onto it if CEO email address given in the forum?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 15:38   #83
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Not really, it's publicly available in many places, including many times already on this forum:

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=Neil.Ber...ginmedia.co.uk
Old 12-03-2012, 16:35   #84
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
i assume you object to me calling it a shub??? not being childish just cant be bothr to tpye it, but i do take oyur point on it showing up on google search, i hope i havent called it any childish nae if so i apogolise, but if you mean callign it crap i do nto apogolise as tha tis my opinion
Not saying I object but if people are to search for Superhub none of these pages would show as people keep calling it the shub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Are we not allowed to call it a shub?
Again I know some people don't think its Super so don't want to call it that but in respect of customers googling for Superhub and wanting help none of the cable forum threads would be found as posters keep calling it the shub. That is all.

The CPE is called the Superhub so thats what it should be referred as.
Old 12-03-2012, 17:05   #85
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

if you dont like superhub you could always call it the VMDG480 as that is also its name
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 17:46   #86
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

i will refer to it by superhub form now on then although i really dnt but take oyru point on it
Old 12-03-2012, 17:50   #87
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
if you dont like superhub you could always call it the VMDG480 as that is also its name
Absolutely.

Or just the VM hub.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 17:59   #88
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Absolutely.

Or just the VM hub.
i like the idea of using them but i take stephen point most peopel il search for superhub so if i refer to it i will the first tiem in my post refer to it as superhub and all other instances will be shub, vmdg480, vmhub
Old 12-03-2012, 22:02   #89
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The CPE is called the Superhub so thats what it should be referred as.
That is quite ridiculous. Free speech according to Stephen. By the time people come here to discuss that wretched device they're not going to be Googling the word SHub or anything nickname we give to that thing.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 22:13   #90
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Can I suggest we get back on topic!!!

Just to clarify.. Derogatory names for Virgin media equipement is not allowed, their official terms (VMDG480 or superhub) are preferable though S'hub, shub and other non derogatory terms are acceptable.

As for free speech this is a private forum, you agree to our terms and conditions and/or moderator instructions otherwise you are free to leave the forum.

Now back on topic please
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote