Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 13-02-2012, 12:10   #901
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Chrys, I feel your pain (almost). My service for the past few months had actually been relatively stable, so this sudden degradation to levels not seen for a year or so is quite disappointing. Especially as it comes at the culmination of a 15 month upgrade program - this is the best they could do?!

Remind me again when Infinity becomes available in your area?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2012, 12:57   #902
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

by end of 2012.

currently on checkers its not showing at all tho.

I fully agree, I still remember ignition selling these upgrades on this forum as the "upgrades to end all upgrades" sort of thing. It lasted a few months without struggling and then after that it slowly got to the stage its at now, it pretty much tipped over the month 100mbit was launched.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 13:38   #903
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Yeah, at one point he did say they'd go overkill, then later revised it down to them only doing the bare minimum needed (no surprise there!). Shame about the end of this year though - it's been available where I live since mid last year but only signed up now (and good job I did). The Homehub 3 is, I must say, a beautiful piece of kit. Not to mention unlike the Superhub it's symmetrical and the indicators are absolutely lovely rather than ugly and distracting. And the few minutes I spent testing the wifi suggests it's actually exceptionally good in terms of signal quality and above average strength. Course, doesn't say much about the connection itself which I don't have yet!

What happened to Ignitionnet anyway? Not seen him around in ages, this place could do with another dose of his seemingly endless wisdom and sarcastic wit.
Old 13-02-2012, 14:50   #904
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

openreach also are delayed in various areas so its quite possible I will be 2013+
Old 13-02-2012, 15:43   #905
hjf288
Inactive

Services: 50Mbit
hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

How do you switch US?
hjf288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 22:58   #906
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Interestingly the peaks I'm seeing on mine don't just seem restricted to my connection. Various hops on VM's core network, O2's core network, and my server provider are all showing increased latency around the same time of day. I wonder if some massively popular new TV show just came out or something...
Old 15-02-2012, 01:04   #907
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
last 24 hours.

I just swapped the US yet again hoping for some kind of relief.
How does one do this?
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 02:12   #908
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Hey I have an idea on making swapping upstreams easier... Find an electronic device that generates noise on your current upstream frequency and tie it up to your Superhub.
Old 15-02-2012, 04:35   #909
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroboi View Post
How does one do this?
On the superhub.

login to the GUI

http://192.168.0.1/
or if in modem mode.
http://192.168.100.1/

select advanced
then on the left change password
then in that change password page choose to reset the device to defaults, you will lose any configuration you have done.

this will cause the superhub to 'forget' your US channel and will do a new search when it reboots. There is a chance the same US channel will be picked again, if it is repeat the process. There is also a chance a different US channel will be no improvement and may even be worse.
Old 15-02-2012, 12:28   #910
boroboi
cf.geek

boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
On the superhub.

login to the GUI

http://192.168.0.1/
or if in modem mode.
http://192.168.100.1/

select advanced
then on the left change password
then in that change password page choose to reset the device to defaults, you will lose any configuration you have done.

this will cause the superhub to 'forget' your US channel and will do a new search when it reboots. There is a chance the same US channel will be picked again, if it is repeat the process. There is also a chance a different US channel will be no improvement and may even be worse.
Understood. Cheers! I'll have a play about with it when i get home later. This jitter is absolutely ridiculous... there must be something we can all do as a community to pressure VM into doing something about it...
Old 15-02-2012, 12:35   #911
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boroboi View Post
Understood. Cheers! I'll have a play about with it when i get home later. This jitter is absolutely ridiculous... there must be something we can all do as a community to pressure VM into doing something about it...
I been told I am obsessing over it and my experience is an anomaly. I hope it works for you. As far as I know every areas has at least 2 upstreams so you should be able to rotate the channel.
Old 15-02-2012, 13:36   #912
boroboi
cf.geek

Quote:
I been told I am obsessing over it and my experience is an anomaly. I hope it works for you. As far as I know every areas has at least 2 upstreams so you should be able to rotate the channel.
Pretty funny anomaly like considering every virgin connection i've seen has jitter between 10 and 20ms and max spikes from 20 to 60 and 80ms, sometimes higher... This is a network wide problem and they have to knowledge it sooner or later. We need to pressure them en-mass to fix it otherwise nothing will ever get done.

They advertise the 50mb line as perfect for games. It isn't. The jitter ruins that, and as far as im concerned that's false advertising.
Old 15-02-2012, 14:07   #913
hjf288
Inactive

hjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nicehjf288 is just really nice

It's worth nothing that jitter is higher on the SH compared to the VMNG... Don't know why though...
Old 15-02-2012, 15:31   #914
boroboi
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjf288 View Post
It's worth nothing that jitter is higher on the SH compared to the VMNG... Don't know why though...
Yeah i've seen someone else say that too. VMMG300 will become obsolete though when they start to bond more than 4 channels.
Old 15-02-2012, 16:04   #915
hjf288
Inactive

I really want a Motorola 8x4 modem or even a Cisco...

Superhub is super annoying... and my VMNG300 was crashing too much... (Guess it was dying)