Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 23-11-2011, 10:13   #721
Huss73
Inactive

Huss73 is on a distinguished roadHuss73 is on a distinguished road
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

My Broadband Ping
Huss73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-11-2011, 10:36   #722
Efour
Inactive

Efour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really nice

What can be done about all this Jitter and Upload spikes, I play MW3 and it uses P2P hosting in multiplayer games. It doesn't effect me much but everyone that I play with has a terrible time.

cpc18-seve20-2-0-custxx.xx-3.cable.virginmedia.com
Efour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 11:39   #723
Dush
Inactive

Dush can only hope to improve

Could anyone take a look at mine? My Broadband Ping

I had scheduled my usenet downloads over night between 23:59 and they completed at 01:00 according my to my own Tomato bandwidth logs. Here's my usage for the last 24 hours on my router:

It seems odd that the usage patterns don't align. I can confirm my router time settings are correct.

Seems pretty poor!
Dush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 12:18   #724
djstevie
Inactive

Services: Sky HD+ Multiroom, Sky BB Unlimited, Sky Talk Unlimited.
djstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of light

Thought i would share mine running on VMNG300 and Buffalo Infiniti N Router. My online gaming has been poor for months now and had a tech out the other day who tightened some screws on the splitter then left.

This one is from the day the tech came. The first red spike is when he unplugged the router and the second and third is when the 'area manager' called me and had me running some tests.

Said person told me my connection was "perfect" and there is no over utilisation on the line and also no noise. Sorry but to say its "perfect" is not something i would agree with.
djstevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 13:25   #725
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

sadly VMs defenition of over utilised is different to what me and you may think is over utilised.

your graphs look ok, you havent posted how speed is performing.

your gaming performance could also be down to transit/peering issues which seem to be getting more frequent or the traffic management getting it wrong as well.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 13:52   #726
djstevie
Inactive

Services: Sky HD+ Multiroom, Sky BB Unlimited, Sky Talk Unlimited.
djstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of light

My speeds are all fine to be honest , well on the PC anyway

Only when gaming do i have the issues. All my ports are forwarded etc so im at a loss as to whats causing the issue. Some days i have hardly any packet loss and other days its through the roof. Its the wildly ranging variances on the line that confuses me. That first graph is probably one of the best i have had so will just need to monitor the situation over the coming days.
djstevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:12   #727
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

I decided to start running this. Excuse the first red chunk that was the superhub not responding to the pings even though the option was turned on. I noticed I had a port forward set up, removed it but no change. I then rebooted it and all is fine. Second (tiny) red section just after 2pm was a power outage. The evening packet loss and the spike just before 10pm look kinda dodgy but not too bad.

30Mb.

ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:03   #728
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

VM recognised my connection was overutilised and gave an estimated fix time 3 months ahead (end of January) so I downgraded from 50 to 10. Just over a week ago there was a three hour outage which was published on the faults page. When the connection was restored I was on a different CMTS and my upstream power level had changed significantly. I noticed that the TBB graph still looked poor and asked if the fault number still applied. The first tech to respond said

Quote:
I've checked your connection and I'm afraid I can see that the UBR which handles your connection is still experiencing very high utilisation at peak times. I have raised this to our Network teams to investigate best methods to alleviate the load and asked why an upgrade has already been hit badly just like the previous fault.

As soon as we have some more information on this issue, we'll let you know.
The follow up (after prompting) said
Quote:
I canot find any open tickets for planned work for your part of the UBR, there is some high utilisation at times but not to the level where we could raise a fault ticket.
The current graph from yesterday when my connection was hardly used at all is

Now this still looks poor to me. My suspicion is that they used a fault to swap a few users to a different CMTS leaving two marginal rather than splitting the original area onto a new node (or whatever they are called) leaving two in good shape.

So do I risk asking for a speed upgrade again or not? I'm not paying for 30 if I only get 10 or so at peak times. It doesn't look worthwhile to me TBH. If I have to stay on 10Mbps I may as well quit for ADSL now as I know that will be better.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:40   #729
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

^^ TBH I'd say wait, upgrading is not worth the money with the current quality in your area.

I know when I was on 20Mb and we were getting like 3Mb in the evening, I raised my concern on the newsgroups (as was the way to do it then) and they said it was definitely a utilization issue. within a couple of weeks our connection was stable again as they moved us (and I presume others too) onto a brand new UBR. Our connection has been stable ever since and we moved to 30Mb earlier this year. I have to say for us VM have been very good with sorting any problems we've had.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 18:49   #730
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

kwikbreaks what you have reported is quite disturbing. I have long suspected the vast majority of "congestion relief" is simply moving users around like musical chairs but of course its always just been that, a educated guess. So you had a active fault ticket, you got moved, you have what looks like still a rough tbb graph, and now the fault ticket has simply vanished with no reason?

I want you to upgrade as I am obviously curious how fast it will go as ultimately speed is the only measurement that will get VMs attention, bad latency and jitter probably wont.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:50   #731
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Chrysalis - you can read the community thread that documents the history of this here - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../773141#M81219

I'm now not sure what to do. Given the HR Dis fault on the phone line which I imagine will remain the same if I get it reconnected I face weeks of hassle if I move to ADSL. I need to keep the Vonage VOIP til April sometime anyhow or pay a disconnection charge. Infinity isn't scheduled until December 2012 and of course I've no guarantee that my cab would be upgraded anyway. I would like faster than 10Mbps so I may just risk an upgrade to 30 unless they try on the £30 activation charge which I certainly won't be paying as all it needs is a config change.

There is some upstream congestion evident even at 10am on a Sunday...

Old 04-12-2011, 16:49   #732
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Shame about upstream congestion... I think I've mentioned it before but I'd gladly take a lesser download speed to have a symmetrical upload speed (i.e. 20Mb for both).
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:06   #733
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
Chrysalis - you can read the community thread that documents the history of this here - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/.../773141#M81219

I'm now not sure what to do. Given the HR Dis fault on the phone line which I imagine will remain the same if I get it reconnected I face weeks of hassle if I move to ADSL. I need to keep the Vonage VOIP til April sometime anyhow or pay a disconnection charge. Infinity isn't scheduled until December 2012 and of course I've no guarantee that my cab would be upgraded anyway. I would like faster than 10Mbps so I may just risk an upgrade to 30 unless they try on the £30 activation charge which I certainly won't be paying as all it needs is a config change.

There is some upstream congestion evident even at 10am on a Sunday...

Thanks for the link.

if your only alternative is adsl it makes the choice hard I agree. eg. my alternative is 4-5mbit adsl stable or 6mbitish unstable which VM still clearly beats, FTTx is not even planned for my area no date nada. However if FTTx is available I would be off like a shot. All user's reports i have seen suggest the % of BT customers with significant problems on FTTC is extremely low.

I got confirmation of downstream congestion and my last 24 hours graph suggests I also have very high upstream utilisation as well. I didnt notice it as I wasnt using my pc during that time so was just luck.

Complaing to CISAS may get you somewhere but you have to wait 8 weeks afterl your original complaint date has passed.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:23   #734
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post
Shame about upstream congestion... I think I've mentioned it before but I'd gladly take a lesser download speed to have a symmetrical upload speed (i.e. 20Mb for both).
It's pretty much there all the time so to my mind has to be torrents...

No point publishing my monitor right now as I had some stuff downloading overnight.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:17   #735
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

so you not able to max out your upstream on the bottom tier.

I cant at 7.18am.