Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 21-10-2011, 14:37   #706
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau1200 View Post
Well I have had my connection fixed and this is what i have been left with!

My Broadband Ping

The ceo's office is just as useless, they phoned me to get this sorted and they did but promised me a follow up call 2 days ago. Still waiting best not hold my breath. Im still just within my 28 days so a cancelation is in order. I cant beleive the hassle this move to vm has caused. 5 days holiday wasted for nothing, now i bet ill have to pay a reconnection back to sky.
Can anyone get me a phone number to the ceo's office or any other advice, given up with vm support forums.
This connection is not good enough for gaming
What was done to fix it exactly

Looks pretty mullered to me

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

All you want to find out is, is it high utilisation in your area. If so bail now before it get's ugly would be my advice.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-10-2011, 14:51   #707
pau1200
Inactive

pau1200 is on a distinguished roadpau1200 is on a distinguished road

They did a repull on the coax and tbh its improved alot but its still very poor. How can i find out about utilisation in my area because cs wont tell me anything.
pau1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 16:02   #708
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
They did a repull on the coax and tbh its improved alot but its still very poor. How can i find out about utilisation in my area because cs wont tell me anything.
Just ring it in as a fault and ask them to check utilisation for you (upstream and downstream), but wait till your connection is in the crapper (peak time) or whenever you are having problem's. (check your TBB Ping Monitor for clarification on time's when it's been particularly bad.)

I've always found the CEO's office to be pretty decent and in the past have been able to check utilisation over the previous 3 days or so.
Old 24-10-2011, 12:19   #709
pau1200
Inactive

pau1200 is on a distinguished roadpau1200 is on a distinguished road

Booked in another fault and they have said there is not a utilisation issue in my area. I have noticed that my ip address changes everytime i reboot my modem. Surely this is pointing to a utilisation problem.
pau1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 13:03   #710
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Booked in another fault and they have said there is not a utilisation issue in my area. I have noticed that my ip address changes everytime i reboot my modem. Surely this is pointing to a utilisation problem.
Try setting up your TBB monitor again making sure your using the correct IP address.

I can't comment on the IP changes as I don't know why it would keep changing, AFAIK Virgin's IP's are dynamic and generally don't change that often.

Maybe some our Guru's can comment.
Old 07-11-2011, 18:29   #711
Bullstein
Inactive

Bullstein is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's my mates up to 8MB Sky ADSL

Why can't VM get the jitter like this?????
Bullstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 16:40   #712
horseman
cf.geek

horseman has reached the bronze age
horseman has reached the bronze agehorseman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Definitely one for Ignition!
He enjoys my little "pseudo technical giggle factors", so not to disappoint here's 2 wild hypotheses:

1. DHCP pool is set too low AND lease too short.
OR
2. Static/Passive load balancing is changing linecards to different DHCP scope (which touches on utilisation issue)

horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 17:23   #713
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseman View Post
Definitely one for Ignition!
He enjoys my little "pseudo technical giggle factors", so not to disappoint here's 2 wild hypotheses:

1. DHCP pool is set too low AND lease too short.
OR
2. Static/Passive load balancing is changing linecards to different DHCP scope (which touches on utilisation issue)

1. Maybe
2. Nah, all line cards have access to all scopes, the scopes are hosted on virtual bundle interfaces not mapped to hardware line cards.

I'd be interested in seeing what the CPE being used is, if it's a Superhub in router mode the plot thickens.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 09:16   #714
Firmsky
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate ooomph
Firmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant futureFirmsky has a brilliant future

Noticed my ping test results have gone to grade B since moving onto 100meg.
Firmsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 14:17   #715
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

I'd like an appraisal of this chart please.....

I noticed that following an outage my channels and IP had changed so asked on the community forum if the original fault report still stood and got the following response
Quote:
It appears that the utilisation upgrade works in the area have now been completed. You have been migrated onto a different CMTS (nrte-cmts-25) so the reference will now no longer apply.
To my eye it still looks pretty poor (the period around 10pm can be ignored as I was downloading somehing then).
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 18:51   #716
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

that chart to me looks worse than your previous, what are speeds like now?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 19:42   #717
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Speeds are pretty much spot on for 10Mbps

Pingtest.net rates it as A but considering MK is only 15miles away to my mind the ping is poor as is the jitter.

Fortunately I'm not a gamer but I do have a VOIP phone

If this is how things look after a congested area has been resegmented then the sooner I can get Infinity the better. I'll wait to see how things look after the new traffic management regime has been in place a while but there is no chance I'll be upgrading that 10Mbps and may take my chances on ADSL again if Infinity doesn't get a proper date soon.
Old 22-11-2011, 17:44   #718
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
Pingtest.net rates it as A but considering MK is only 15miles away to my mind the ping is poor as is the jitter.
You'll be getting to MK via London and wherever else, geographical distance isn't really a guide.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 20:04   #719
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

funny enough I was going to namesco via manchester earlier, hence the slower speeds than maidenhead.

Ignition any comments on my slow 20 hours a day downloads?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 09:51   #720
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
You'll be getting to MK via London and wherever else, geographical distance isn't really a guide.
Yes of course - I was being naive.