Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Speed test sites and why you shouldnt take them for granted

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Speed test sites and why you shouldnt take them for granted

Old 23-02-2012, 21:07   #76
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Speed test sites and why you shouldnt take them for granted

As well as a million other things we can't exhaustively cover here...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-02-2012, 22:15   #77
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I don't know how this discussion has backed itself so far into a corner. Speedtests on the VM network are influenced by:

- Congestion (if any) at the optical node
- Congestion (if any) at the line card
- Congestion (if any) at the CMTS itself (unlikely)
- Congestion (if any) in the core (rare but not unknown)
- Congestion (if any) in the VM backbone (rare and occurs if there is a routing problem elsewhere)
- Congestion (if any) at the peering point (deffo possible)
- Congestion (if any) at the speed test server (e.g. Maidenhead - so well known)

Simples.
so you are saying that the chances are that the congestion is at the line card? due to the number of connections going in to it?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 22:19   #78
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

In that context, mon General, I'm saying that if there is congeston at the line card it's due to the number of connections going in.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 02:31   #79
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
In that context, mon General, I'm saying that if there is congeston at the line card it's due to the number of connections going in.
I think its more just slow routing, if that possible, pings can still remain low, but the actual capacity is low, the maidenhead server I speak off acheived 500mbit from a server just seconds after getting 30mbit from a VM 100mbit line
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 09:08   #80
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
I think its more just slow routing, if that possible, pings can still remain low, but the actual capacity is low, the maidenhead server I speak off acheived 500mbit from a server just seconds after getting 30mbit from a VM 100mbit line
ive seen the maidenhead server achive over 1gbit from janet line it the only one that truly has the capicty
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 09:35   #81
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
as you said "unlikely" and "rare" for congestion at the cmts and core I thought you was saying that the chances are that if there is any congestion, it will be at the line card. Do the optical nodes run single modem fibre or multi mode?
Old 24-02-2012, 09:59   #82
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

The optical nodes run a fibre pair back to the local hub. As I understand matters, the upstream fibre can be set to use more chunks of bandwidth (6.4 MHz wide) in the upstream frequency plan and then capacity would rise. At the VM end that would be converted to RF and an upstream port is then used at the line card to take the upstream in.

So I believe that the line card, optical node and in some cases the peering points are the major points of congestion.

Does that answer your question?

---------- Post added at 09:59 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

Quote:
Years of doing this - and empirically the Maidenhead server is notorious for giving low results. Consistently.

Right now, several tests show Maidenhead at 10 meg downstrea; London Namesco shows c. 50 meg.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 10:20   #83
General Maximus
Ran Away

yes thanks. The VM network as whole can handle the traffic going through it, the problem is too many people accessing it. It is like having a 10 lane motorway and everyone using a single lane road to get on to it.
Old 24-02-2012, 14:24   #84
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Years of doing this - and empirically the Maidenhead server is notorious for giving low results. Consistently.

Right now, several tests show Maidenhead at 10 meg downstrea; London Namesco shows c. 50 meg.
On the other hand Namesco gives consistently high pings from just about everywhere. Odd, but I've never bothered investigating it.
Old 24-02-2012, 16:58   #85
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I dont think your getting the points, sephy, the maidenhead server has bags of capacity, it can test 500mbit from a server, andrew above has confirmed this by saying it can test gigabit from a janet line, and you have also confimed how a VM 50mbit connection can only reach 10mbit. If the server is capable of gigabit, its clearly a restriction at the ISP end stopping you from getting more than 10mbit

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
On the other hand Namesco gives consistently high pings from just about everywhere. Odd, but I've never bothered investigating it.
I think its a highly utilised web server as I have noticed the same
Old 24-02-2012, 18:33   #86
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I dont think your getting the points, sephy, the maidenhead server has bags of capacity, it can test 500mbit from a server, andrew above has confirmed this by saying it can test gigabit from a janet line, and you have also confimed how a VM 50mbit connection can only reach 10mbit. If the server is capable of gigabit, its clearly a restriction at the ISP end stopping you from getting more than 10mbit

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

I think its a highly utilised web server as I have noticed the same

i not sure it i restricted i think i have got it give me 20mb give em aminute ill run it jsut now

i am goign to run it from the otehr comptuer which generally get better results

Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 01:25   #87
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

yeah now run it from a high capacity line, or any other high speed non-vm service, you will notice that VM connections give significantly lower results
Old 25-02-2012, 04:30   #88
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Indeed, Maidenhead is playing funny buggers. 4:30 am and still only getting this:

And no it isn't my connection's fault (for once):
Old 25-02-2012, 06:42   #89
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

The #1 reason on VM for speedtests will be congested UBR's, congested transit/peering is probably #2.

Alot of people think VM will have a single fat pipe out to the entire internet and working on that principle if they see they can get full speed from one place they will assume anywhere they dont get full speed from the other end is to blame. Also remembering routing will differ for different VM subnets, so one customer may have poor performance from a particular server whilst another may not. eg speed i/o is horrible on my current ip, but if I change my VM ip to another subnet speed i/o is way faster as the return path changes. For me maidenhead is as fast as namesco, usually if maidenhead slows down then so does namesco and is my UBR port. I actually probably get namesco slowing down more as sometimes the VM core network gets congested on the way to the edge router.

speedtest.net have specific requirements to host a speedtest there, they wouldnt let someone host a speedtest without proper capacity in place. The good advantage of all the different locations is that its a good way to test peering quality of the isp. eg. on easynet I used to get good speeds from everywhere worldwide just about with only a few exceptions, when on murphx it was a very different story which performed ok to places like linx but suffered on a lot of routes. VM is a mixed bag which seems to have good capacity on a few specific routes but poor on others.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 16:40   #90
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

Chrys can you run a speed test from one of your servers for a comparison?

and then we can see its a VM issue

Its the same to TBB speed test - always slow from VM connections whereas fine from others. infact, tbb's speedtest is far worse on VM than to maidenhead whereas there seems to be no problem from other ISPs