Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Caller ID

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Caller ID

Old 13-06-2005, 10:48   #61
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society
Smile Re: Caller ID

I retained my BT number when I switched to NTL and paid a £20 porting charge, which I understood to be the cost for linking BT equipment in the local exchange to NTL equipment in such a way that my calls are received on BT equipment in the exchange abd tranferred across to be dealt with by NTL equipment.

Given that the BT equipment can pick up Caller ID, why is it not possible for that information to be passed to the NTL equipment and on to the customer?

I understand that the problem arises from the kind of switches used. Is it not possible to have certain parts of NTL areas to be upgraded with a long term view of upgrading the rest when finances permit?
ntluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-06-2005, 11:04   #62
bob_builder
Inactive

Services: ntl digital basepack ntl 1M broadband
bob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to behold
Re: Caller ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser
I retained my BT number when I switched to NTL and paid a £20 porting charge, which I understood to be the cost for linking BT equipment in the local exchange to NTL equipment in such a way that my calls are received on BT equipment in the exchange abd tranferred across to be dealt with by NTL equipment.

Given that the BT equipment can pick up Caller ID, why is it not possible for that information to be passed to the NTL equipment and on to the customer?

I understand that the problem arises from the kind of switches used. Is it not possible to have certain parts of NTL areas to be upgraded with a long term view of upgrading the rest when finances permit?
What actually happens is that the call is automatically routed from BT to NTL at the local exchange as any call to NTL would be.

The CallerID information is passed on to NTL by BT. What happens then is it gets routed through the NTL equipment to your local street cabinet via optic fibre where it then gets sent to your house via wire. If any of that equipment does not support CalllerID then that does not arrive at your phone.

Certian parts of NTL support CallerID in whole, certain parts partially and some not at all. As the older equipemnt dies it will be upgraded with newer stuff that will probably support CallerID so it will take a long time to upgrade everybody.
bob_builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 11:18   #63
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_builder
What actually happens is that the call is automatically routed from BT to NTL at the local exchange as any call to NTL would be.

The CallerID information is passed on to NTL by BT. What happens then is it gets routed through the NTL equipment to your local street cabinet via optic fibre where it then gets sent to your house via wire. If any of that equipment does not support CalllerID then that does not arrive at your phone.

Certian parts of NTL support CallerID in whole, certain parts partially and some not at all. As the older equipemnt dies it will be upgraded with newer stuff that will probably support CallerID so it will take a long time to upgrade everybody.
Thanks for that, Bob. Any idea what kind of timescale we are talking about here please?
Old 13-06-2005, 11:22   #64
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Thanks for that, Bob. Any idea what kind of timescale we are talking about here please?
Theoretically probably years, NTL can't afford to update equipment until it fails so you could be unlucky in that equipment in your local exchange may not fail for quite some time to come.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2005, 11:26   #65
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Theoretically probably years, NTL can't afford to update equipment until it fails so you could be unlucky in that equipment in your local exchange may not fail for quite some time to come.
Cheers, Paul. I kinda guessed as much.I'm in South Manchester so I doubt if it's likely to happen any time soon.
Old 13-06-2005, 11:28   #66
bob_builder
Inactive

bob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to beholdbob_builder is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Agreed! Also, it may not be just one piece of equipment that needs upgrading.
Old 13-06-2005, 11:28   #67
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote:
Cheers, Paul. I kinda guessed as much.I'm in South Manchester so I doubt if it's likely to happen any time soon.
Depends on age of equipment and the load on it I would suspect. Some areas have been cabled for years (pre-NTL) and to be honest it wasn't NTLs fault that many cannot get caller ID, it's just their problem to try and replace the equipment as they go along.
Old 13-06-2005, 12:16   #68
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star

Well it says on the website we can get it here - so I've just rung CS to find if it is available. The nice young lady checked and said yes - it's available - I'll just enable it on your digital TV!!!!!!!
I had to explain exactly what it was, and the fact that I don't have ntl TV. Then she said no, it's being trialled in the South East at the moment but there are no plans for it to be made available here in the forseeable future. (RM13 area, Essex)
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:56   #69
Martin Banner
Inactive

Martin Banner is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been waiting for caller ID for about 7 years now - what's the problem ? BT have offered it for over a decade. Perhaps Worthing in Sussex (where there is a lot of cable) are just plain ignored ! !
Martin Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:07   #70
spike7451
Inactive

Services: Sky+/BT Home hub,phone & fusion mobile.
spike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond reputespike7451 has a reputation beyond repute

In order to get Caller I.D,the Linecards in the Mux (large street cabs) need to be upgraded to CLI Linecards.These hold up to 30 channels (30 seperate phone lines) These cards can be over £1000 each & most areas should have them by now.It's a very labour intensive job & cant be done by flicking a switch.
With some cities like Belfast having over 100 Mux's & up to 10 Line cards per Mux,well you do the math.
Spike
spike7451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:32   #71
ellie
Inactive

Services: All except sky one :(
ellie has reached the bronze age
ellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze age

I rang them and asked about having caller I.D put on (bought a new phone specially for it) and was told by a ntl guy "No chance" ...Im sure that's not meant to be the official statement but I got the message

So is it a nono never ever chance of getting it?
ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:07   #72
bob_builder
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil miss naughty
I rang them and asked about having caller I.D put on (bought a new phone specially for it) and was told by a ntl guy "No chance" ...Im sure that's not meant to be the official statement but I got the message

So is it a nono never ever chance of getting it?
It is probably more likely that we will all be using VoIP before they upgrade the PTSN.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:36   #73
N00N00
cf.addict

N00N00 is an unknown quantity at this point

BT are really rubbing it in now - not only do they offer Caller ID, they've announced that it's totally free

http://www.bt.com/btprivacy/

(all you have to do is actually make calls via BT, though I expect you probably get away with one a month or something).
N00N00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 22:53   #74
ellie
Inactive

Services: All except sky one :(
ellie has reached the bronze age
ellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze ageellie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
It is probably more likely that we will all be using VoIP before they upgrade the PTSN.
I dont know what that means
ellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 23:00   #75
Paul K
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil miss naughty
Quote:
I dont know what that means
I would hazard a guess that he is saying that most people will be using voice over internet protocol (Phone calls via the internet basically) before NTL get round to upgrading the necessary hardware to allow caller ID to be available in all areas.