Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Shooting Ranges?? Gun Licence?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Shooting Ranges?? Gun Licence?

Old 02-03-2006, 13:32   #1
leef78
Inactive

Services: Tiscalli SKY +
leef78 is on a distinguished roadleef78 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to leef78
Shooting Ranges?? Gun Licence?

Hi all,

I was wondering about shooting ranges in this country (handguns etc) do we have any? do you need a licence? if so how do you get one? any info would be much appreciated. (and no... im not a nutcase looking to shoot anyone) just looking to have a go at it.

Cheers
Lee
leef78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2006, 13:36   #2
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Shooting Ranges?? Gun Licence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leef78
I was wondering about shooting ranges in this country (handguns etc) do we have any?
As far as I know we don't. The only ones are police/army ones etc. and even our olympic pistol shooting team have to train abroad

EDIT: For handguns. There are still quite a number of rifle ranges and shooting clubs.

Quote:
do you need a licence?
To own weapons you would.

Quote:
if so how do you get one?
Apply for a firearms licence from your local police force. There is a charge for this and any weapons have to be kept securely in locked cabinets etc.

Quote:
just looking to have a go at it.
You might want to try clay pigeon shooting instead. There are plenty of places across the UK. You don't need a licence to try that.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 13:38   #3
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

The quick answer is 'yes' and plenty of them, google for them, it brings up 100's of results
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 13:40   #4
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
I was wondering about shooting ranges in this country (handguns etc) do we have any? do you need a licence? if so how do you get one?
It should be pointed out that handguns are now illegal in the UK so you can't get to shoot one or get a licence to own one.
Old 02-03-2006, 13:42   #5
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopdude
The quick answer is 'yes' and plenty of them, google for them, it brings up 100's of results
like this one

http://www.marplerifleandpistolclub.org.uk/

Old 02-03-2006, 14:07   #6
leef78
Inactive

Services: Tiscalli SKY +
leef78 is on a distinguished roadleef78 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to leef78

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
Haha, thats the one I just googled Looks pretty good, I think I'll give them a ring. Thanks
Lee
leef78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 14:24   #7
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

I used to shoot many years ago - pre-Dunblane. Mostly clay pigeon, but also full bore handguns and rim fire rifles. Never got very accurate with the handguns and rifles, but good fun shooting a .357 Magnum or 9mm Glock.
Clay pigeon is great fun and you can still own your own gun (in a locked steel cabinet!). Even tried black powder shotguns and firing a handgun with shot-filled cartridges!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 14:44   #8
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Unless you're despirate for the feel of shooting with real bullets, have you considered airsoft?
The guns are realistic, pistols even "blow back" with every shot, and you have a wider range of guns to choose from.
You don't need a licience, just to be 18, and keep them in a sealed container (bag or box), and unloaded when in transit.
They're safe, although shooting glasses should be worn, and you can use them in your back garden as long as you're not within 15m of a main road.

www.airsoftarmoury.co.uk
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 16:43   #9
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat

Just to clarify..

You need a license to own a firearm (Now only rifles and muzzle loading pistols are legal) this is not the same as needing a license to go and try one at a legal rifle club.

There are a number of clubs that hold their own weapons and will allow you to try the sport (for a fee of course) without having to purchase your own.
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 17:02   #10
Kliro
Inactive

Kliro has reached the bronze age
Kliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze ageKliro has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Kliro

Yeah, you can, my cousins 18, and shoots a rifle at clay pigeons in the UK, seems like theres a lot of them.
Kliro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 17:10   #11
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers
Unless you're despirate for the feel of shooting with real bullets, have you considered airsoft?
The guns are realistic, pistols even "blow back" with every shot, and you have a wider range of guns to choose from.
You don't need a licience, just to be 18, and keep them in a sealed container (bag or box), and unloaded when in transit.
They're safe, although shooting glasses should be worn, and you can use them in your back garden as long as you're not within 15m of a main road.

www.airsoftarmoury.co.uk
Is airsoft any more powerful than regular airguns/bb guns?

I had one as a kid and it was totally useless. You can see the 'round' bend in mid air after leaving the barrel due to wind or air pressure. Absolutely useless for target shooting, and just about anything really.

I do love real firearms shooting. I do it in the US whenever I can, but might start doing it here. Only trouble is I prefer semi-pistols. Are they still allowed at ranges?
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 17:38   #12
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society

Quote:
I think a sneeze moves faster than an airsoft pellet.

Think its more for people who were not allowed to play with toy guns when they were kids.

Check this guy out.

http://http://airsoftsniper.darc.net/main/page1.htm
WHISTLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 18:41   #13
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky

I had one as a kid and it was totally useless. You can see the 'round' bend in mid air after leaving the barrel due to wind or air pressure. Absolutely useless for target shooting, and just about anything really.

I do love real firearms shooting. I do it in the US whenever I can, but might start doing it here. Only trouble is I prefer semi-pistols. Are they still allowed at ranges?
rassumfrassumbloodybbgunsgrrrr

what most people call a bbgun we call a cheap piece of poo springer, you have to cock them every single time you fire, they're plastic, chav's use them to look bling, they're the reason the goverment wants to ban the sale and purchase of replica guns (but not the ownership...), and frankly aren't powerful enough to shoot their way out of a wet paper bag.
They fire with a muzzle energy of less than 0.5J

Airsoft guns on the other hand can fire over 2J, however not legally in this country.
The forensics sciences service decided that penetrative power required to pierce the softest tissue such as an eyeball at 2 inches is 1.35J (although the Norther Ireland dept found it was 2J so I guess the Irish have tougher eyeballs).
Above that and it is classed as an air rifle and as such, illegal to shoot anyone with.
Therefore most airsoft guns fire around 1J.
Pistols which run on gas depend on the gas used (134a or propane) and the ambient temperature.

A friend of mine also trains police and security forces around the world how to raid buildings etc, and should be arranging an open day for us at a police shooting range.
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 18:48   #14
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society

Quote:
what most people call a bbgun we call a cheap piece of poo springer
Do you soot plastic BB in airsoft? Yes? Then would that make it a BB gun?
WHISTLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 18:54   #15
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

I went to a shooting range in the US and discovered I was a crack shot, this is the girl who struggles to get a dart in the board so it was all a bit of a mystery If you can go and do it then it's well worth it but be prepared for a lot of noise and fun
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote