Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cable in Isle of Dogs (Canary Wharf) E14

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cable in Isle of Dogs (Canary Wharf) E14

Old 23-03-2010, 14:51   #46
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads
Re: Cable in Isle of Dogs (Canary Wharf) E14

The business district of Canary Wharf is covered by:

Verizon Business (Formerly MCI Worldcom) has its own phone lines and network infrastructure also working its way around the UK and Europe.

Colt (City of London Telecom) also has its own phone lines and network infrastructure and also working its way around the UK and Europe but has a smaller coverage than Verizon.

Cable and Wireless infrastructures which consist of Mercury(Orginal Cable and Wireless network)Energis and Thus which were acquired by Cable and Wireless over the past few years, they are the largest out of the above 2, and cover most of the world,Cable and Wireless shows businesses that it is able to offer an internation presence.

All of the above are able to offer decent internet speeds ect... through there own networks without the need of BT and Virgin Media.

Virgin Media still offer its telephone service in this area to businesses, it is not impossible to offer ADSL and IPTV over its telephone network, the original Cable TV cabling remains and the network just needs upgrading, a few streets would need digging up for new builds, there is a small housing estate nearby which featured in the papers about NTL pulling out and offering residents aerials ect.... however some contractor was called by someone else and installed satellite dishes without notifying residents in shoddy state, with a high penetration level, i'm really suprised that NTL didn't upgrade this patch.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2010, 15:36   #47
JonathanCassar
Inactive

JonathanCassar is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it seems Poplar is going to be updated 30th Sep 2010 Yay http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...ablement Dates

Ironic as my phone line is no longer with BT
JonathanCassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 14:28   #48
JonathanCassar
Inactive

I just got an email from BT stating infinity will be in my area soon

My bet would be early next year though
Old 26-08-2010, 13:18   #49
davechaplin
Inactive

davechaplin is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in E14, on a business broadband package which is supposed to be 8MB/s. We get 2.7MB/s. Spoke to BT at length today, and talked about the Poplar exchange issue etc. It gets upgraded on 31st August 2010 so people can get ADSL 2. They are going to wait for it to settle down and then do line tests for people to see what they can offer them. We will then change from the business package to ADSL2 if it works. Also, after spending about an hour speaking to people up to chain about how we are basically paying full price for a third of the service they suggested we pu in a formal complaint - to which some financial compensation might be offered. We'll see.

I used to live in Paris before moving back to E14. We got 28MB/s as standard over there. Uk broadband sucks.
davechaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 13:25   #50
JonathanCassar
Inactive

Dave,
ADSL2 has been available for some time via other providers in E14

I have it with BE
Its only slightly better than ADSL if you are at the end of a long piece of copper
If you get 2.7MB/s now you might get 3 or there abouts with ADSL2

The technology that the Isle of Dogs needs is fibre which should be available by year end
This will be at least 20MB/s +
Old 26-08-2010, 13:44   #51
davechaplin
Inactive

davechaplin is an unknown quantity at this point

Jonathan, thanks for the info. We are in a river side building, built in 1990 (I think), so all the old phone wires are still used. Will the building need to be re-wired for fibre, or will it work by delivering the fibre to the green box outside then use existing phone cables? If the building needs fibre then I'll have to raise with the board.
davechaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 14:19   #52
JonathanCassar
Inactive

BT will deliver fibre to the box outside yes and the last bit only is over copper - meaning 20MB/s +

They have stated however that a small number of homes wont be able to get this product! (although no one yet knows where these blackspots are)
Old 01-10-2010, 17:23   #53
JonathanCassar
Inactive

An update to my last.

If you put your number (or postcode) here Where it says can I get infinity on the right

You will see its available (dec 31) or it wont be listed as a product

If its listed great! if not (like me) you'll be stuck with existing snail speeds for at least another 12 months

For people in this situation BT may offer another solution in a year - but this will depend on if they consider it commercially viable to update your line

So maybe good news in a year
Old 06-10-2010, 09:25   #54
Zaeni
Inactive

Zaeni is an unknown quantity at this point

@JonathanCassar

I've been following this thread for some time and it's given me more information than the bt "service" reps

I'm wondering, do you mean they will list infinity in advance if they actually plan to have cable on your phone line? Even if infinity isn't available at the moment?

Because I'm wondering if I should just cancel my contract with BT(atm getting <1Mbps at peak periods) and go with another isp with LLU on the poplar exchange. (Although since i'm on the isle of dogs, i'm not sure how much of an improvement that will be during peak times. All i'm asking for is a consistent 1.5 Mbps to play my games with when i'm not working )
Zaeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:11   #55
JonathanCassar
Inactive

Hi,
Correct if infinity is available to you in Dec it will be listed already on the checker.

In terms of improvement what speed does your line sync at now? This will determine your likely max speed with any provider regardless of congestion. (with ADSL/2 anyway) I've used Be for many years - but don't do online gaming so don't know if their speed is consistent for that activity (as I'm rarely home in the day!)

The IOD is particularly rubbish as most people have way too much copper from exchange to home for a decent connection I was hoping FTTC would alleviate this but it seems not everyone in the poplar exchange will be covered - me included
Old 06-10-2010, 13:44   #56
Zaeni
Inactive

Router stats
ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 22:24:54

Downstream 3,104 Kbps

Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38

Type PPPoA

Modulation ITU-T G.992.1

Latency type Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up) 15.6 dB / 19.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up) 58.0 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up) 18.4 dBm / 12.1 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local) 0

Loss of Signal (Local) 0

Loss of Power (Local) 0

FEC Errors (Down/Up) 61778 / 0

CRC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 2147480000

HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 0

Error Seconds (Local) 0

Usually when i encounter massive latency increases (eg > 900ms, tested with pingtest.net) I reset my router and that helps a bit.

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

So this article:

http://www.docklands24.co.uk/news/su...#sharinganchor

is complete bull then?
Old 06-10-2010, 15:34   #57
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaeni View Post
Router stats
ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 0 days, 22:24:54

Downstream 3,104 Kbps

Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38

Type PPPoA

Modulation ITU-T G.992.1

Latency type Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up) 15.6 dB / 19.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up) 58.0 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up) 18.4 dBm / 12.1 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local) 0

Loss of Signal (Local) 0

Loss of Power (Local) 0

FEC Errors (Down/Up) 61778 / 0

CRC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 2147480000

HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 0

Error Seconds (Local) 0

Usually when i encounter massive latency increases (eg > 900ms, tested with pingtest.net) I reset my router and that helps a bit.

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 ----------

So this article:

http://www.docklands24.co.uk/news/su...#sharinganchor

is complete bull then?
What result do you get when searching with your postcode on the Infinity website, I was under the impression that all exchanges up till December 2011 have been loaded into their checker now so it should tell you when to expect service? If not then its not going to happen.

I may be wrong though...

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:54   #58
Zaeni
Inactive

Basically, I only get the option for broadband (adsl) and not infinity.
Old 15-09-2011, 11:32   #59
JonathanCassar
Inactive

Wow cant believe its been over two years since I started this thread

FTTC is now available on the Poplar exchange - although several developments including mine cant get it

Good news is though companies are starting to emerge that will gap fill BT coverage

My development has been surveyed and if all goes to plan will offer up to 1GB connections

The company is called hyperoptic - I have no connection to them except that I'll probably be a customer as soon as they cable me up

If you live in E14 in a development without FTTC maybe check them out?
Old 17-09-2011, 16:47   #60
Stutch
Inactive

Stutch is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanCassar View Post
Wow cant believe its been over two years since I started this thread

FTTC is now available on the Poplar exchange - although several developments including mine cant get it

Good news is though companies are starting to emerge that will gap fill BT coverage

My development has been surveyed and if all goes to plan will offer up to 1GB connections

The company is called hyperoptic - I have no connection to them except that I'll probably be a customer as soon as they cable me up

If you live in E14 in a development without FTTC maybe check them out?
Thanks Jonathan. I contacted Hyperoptic today and registered an interest! I am hoping that the building I am in has the foresight to invest in this. Internet still terrible down here!
Stutch is offline   Reply With Quote