Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Going wireless - equipment advice and recommendations

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Going wireless - equipment advice and recommendations

Old 07-11-2005, 10:39   #1
deelunn
Inactive

deelunn is an unknown quantity at this point
wireless router!!!

hi guys im just new so go easy on me....

ive got a normal 1mb connection from ntl and im wanting to go wireless! although having a quick read around the net theres seems much debate wether i can actually do this or not.

Has anyone sucessfully got this working and if so which router do you recommend? im just after a safe connection for my laptop - baring in mind i need something very very easy for myself to set up (preferably with technical support if i ever need it) as im a bit of a blonde!

thanks in advance

dee
deelunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2005, 10:45   #2
bbwannabe
Inactive

bbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Re: wireless router!!!

http://cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33018 < heres a bunch of routers you can look at.. I have the wrt54g.
My laptop came with a wireless PCIMIA (sp??) card, I think you might need to connect to the router through a ethernet cable just to set it up as a network and all the security features but after that, you'll be able to access it wirelessly through your laptop. The wrt54g does seem to have botchy access restriction settings but if its just you wanting to use the net and no-one else then it shouldn't be an issue.
bbwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:46   #3
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

All you need is a (non ADSL) wireless router, & a wireless card for your laptop.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=33018

to the site too.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:52   #4
deelunn
Inactive

well there in the near future could be another laptop joinging the brigade...

id rather have one that was a definatly compatible with two just incase

thanks for the link though, ill take a look now!

i think im going to opt for the netgear one (Netgear WGR614)! it looks shiney! lol which i realise may not be the most important thing in the world but it also states that its very easy to set up!

thanks guys!
Old 07-11-2005, 11:42   #5
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

netgear don't get too favorable a review.

I on a older 11mbs linksys and run 2 computers wired and 3 laptops wireless from it with no problems what so ever.

If you choose a linksys one you'll also be able to draw upon a huge pool of happy linksys users on here. Also look at belkin routers. Whilst seeming to have slightly poorer signal strength they are just as reliable and we have one of their tech support on the forum....
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:45   #6
deelunn
Inactive

oooo i was going to opt for the netgear one as we have a netgear one at work and its been fine for several years! plus ive never heard anyone have any problems with a netgear!
Old 07-11-2005, 11:47   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman
netgear don't get too favorable a review.

I on a older 11mbs linksys and run 2 computers wired and 3 laptops wireless from it with no problems what so ever.

If you choose a linksys one you'll also be able to draw upon a huge pool of happy linksys users on here. Also look at belkin routers. Whilst seeming to have slightly poorer signal strength they are just as reliable and we have one of their tech support on the forum....
I have a Belkin too, as does mother-in-law, so fair amount of experience with them here.

The signal strength is a tad disappointing but otherwise they're quite easy to set up and use.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:53   #8
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

I wish they where stronger because I do a fair amount of file transfer on the network and there are 3 networked printers traffic and I had a spare 54G belkin router that served the whole house bar my bloody room...
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:59   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman
I wish they where stronger because I do a fair amount of file transfer on the network and there are 3 networked printers traffic and I had a spare 54G belkin router that served the whole house bar my bloody room...
I found experimenting with different channels resulted in a noticeable improvement, but the one thing I've not done yet is build a small, high shelf to sit it on. TBH it's really not in the best position at the moment but cable length and lack of time are preventing me finding a 'quick fix'. But it works in the lounge, where I sometimes browse in the evening, and in the dining room, where I sit if I'm working from home, so I'm not in a big hurry to start any DIY.

The only problem is if the lappy loses the signal, it can be a right pain getting back onto the LAN, something about the DHCP seems to go b0rked and forces a reboot and/or ipconfig /release /renew and/or rebooting the router and/or releasing all the assigned IPs on the router itself before it works again. I'm not sufficiently experienced with wireless networks to know if this is something that is a problem on any where the signal is low, or just on Belkin units. Mother-in-law's device does the same.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:29   #10
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

The biggest problem I find with dropped signals is the 'this file is locked by another user' errors that arise on shared files.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 13:41   #11
zc1
Inactive

Services: ex-NTL 10mb via NTL 250 and Phone
zc1 will become famous soon enoughzc1 will become famous soon enoughzc1 will become famous soon enough
Belkin Wireless Router

Hi,

I am looking at getting a the Belkin Router that will allow me to access the net on 2 computers.

I would like to connect my NTL Cable modem into it, then a lead from the router to my PC, and have my laptop wireless

Will either of the belkin routers do this ?
Belkin 802.11g Wireless DSL/Cable Gateway Router
High-Speed Mode Wireless G Router

Regards,
Garry
zc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 13:47   #12
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Belkin Wireless Router

To be honest in my experience, I would steer well clear of Belkin routers, Ive had a lot of trouble with mine and instead go for something by Netgear or Linksys, these two companies come thoroughly recommended.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 14:09   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Re: Belkin Wireless Router

This is a very popular question at the moment - lots of people are going wireless (me included!). I'm going to merge this thread with another ongoing one, which has already had some discussion about Belkin products as well as others.

Merge completed.