Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cloud storage for backups: How paranoid should I get?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cloud storage for backups: How paranoid should I get?

Old 03-05-2012, 17:15   #16
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough
Re: Cloud storage for backups: How paranoid should I get?

This tells you how they do it: http://blog.backblaze.com/2008/11/12...n-easy-to-use/

I think it's secure enough.
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2012, 17:53   #17
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manners View Post
I currently host a backup cloud service which supports linux, now i would disagree with how secure onine data can be. i can see a list of files but couldnt ever break the 256aes key built by the windows/linux machine or by yourselves if you have more knowledge. offing it at £50 per year per 15gb. and on the end of a 2gbps feed its simply going to max out most peoples connections quite happily.

check it out at sbsbackups.co.uk if anyone interested theres a 30day trial and we will work with you to suit your needs.

Hope this helps some people
Why would we trust our data to somebody who randomly punts thier company on a random public forum, David???

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by manners View Post
offing it at £50 per year per 15gb. and on the end of a 2gbps feed its simply going to max out most peoples connections quite happily.
I've got 23GB free with Dropbox; 5GB free with Google Drive; and whatever with Windows Live Drive.

£50 for 15GB per year sounds like a real bargain!
Old 04-05-2012, 18:45   #18
clumsymum
Inactive

Services: BB M TV L and V+ Phone L
clumsymum is on a distinguished roadclumsymum is on a distinguished road

Well, I run a bookkeeping business, and have data about/belonging to my clients' businesses, no way would I back that up to the cloud. If they do it thats fine, if I do it and the data is compromised in some way, it isn't.

My ideal solution is to back up nightly to a hard drive here on my desk, and once a month take that to the bank deposit box - exchange it with the one that is already there. It could actually do with being taken off site more frequently, if our registered office were nearer to us, I would put a fire-safe in there, and deposit weekly backups there too.

It's old-hat, it's a bloody nuisance, it's not a particularly techy solution, but it makes me feel reasonably secure.
clumsymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 19:23   #19
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumsymum View Post
It's old-hat, it's a bloody nuisance, it's not a particularly techy solution, but it makes me feel reasonably secure.
I feel exactly the same way, mum. Hence my use of a portable 2.5" hard drive; as previously mentioned.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote