Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Old, Yet Very Annoying Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old, Yet Very Annoying Problem

Old 10-04-2007, 22:53   #1
dbnffc
Inactive

dbnffc is an unknown quantity at this point
Old, Yet Very Annoying Problem

Well I am a customer, and have been for many years, of NTL, but obviously is now Virgin Media. I have their broadband service. I currently have the NTL:Home 200 modem for my broadband, however it is connected to a white box on my wall, which then has a wire that runs out of the wall, outside, down the wall and into the brown box outside. One problem with this, and that it isn't actually connected to a phone socket. This is a majorr problem as I need to connect a router to my PC for wireless internet to work on my laptop. If I use a router I know that I need to uninstall the original modem, and connect the router to the phone socket that the broadband should have run off. However, NTL decided to install a box with no phone socket at all. I will now have to contact Virgin to come out and install a new phone socket near my PC, which will waste even more of my money. I ahve already wasted about £80 on useless routers, because of NTL's incompetence.
dbnffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2007, 22:57   #2
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age
Re: Old, Yet Very Annoying Problem

to the forum!

You don't need a phone socket near your computer. Get a cable router (Linksys WRT54G range is good) and plug it into the modem via ethernet...
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 23:02   #3
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnffc View Post
Well I am a customer, and have been for many years, of NTL, but obviously is now Virgin Media. I have their broadband service. I currently have the NTL:Home 200 modem for my broadband, however it is connected to a white box on my wall, which then has a wire that runs out of the wall, outside, down the wall and into the brown box outside. One problem with this, and that it isn't actually connected to a phone socket. This is a majorr problem as I need to connect a router to my PC for wireless internet to work on my laptop. If I use a router I know that I need to uninstall the original modem, and connect the router to the phone socket that the broadband should have run off. However, NTL decided to install a box with no phone socket at all. I will now have to contact Virgin to come out and install a new phone socket near my PC, which will waste even more of my money. I ahve already wasted about £80 on useless routers, because of NTL's incompetence.
unfortunately its not NTLs incompetence here sorry

to the forum
Old 11-04-2007, 00:26   #4
jonifen
Inactive

jonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nice

Hi, it would appear that perhaps the router you currently hold is for a DSL connection rather than a Cable connection.

You'd just plug an RJ-45 cable from the ethernet port on the modem to the WAN port on the router. If your WAN port is a smaller version of this ethernet socket, it is an RJ-11 port and this is for ADSL only (internet provided over a BT phone line).
jonifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 00:26   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I think you have been buying the wrong type of router. You have been buying a router with inbuilt modem intended for use with ADSL broadband. ADSL is supplied via a BT type phone line.

You have cable broadband which works on a completely different basis. ADSL routers will not work, you need a DSL/Cable router, such as the Linksys WRT54G series indicated above. That then connects to the ethernet port on the cable modem yuo already have.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 21:42   #6
GeorgeB
Inactive

Services: TV (L), BB (M)
GeorgeB is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnffc View Post
I ahve already wasted about £80 on useless routers, because of NTL's incompetence.
I use WRT54GL with the same modem as yours - and its £30.54 inc VAT. As other people mentioned, it connects to your modem with Ethernet cable.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=NW-052-LS
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 21:50   #7
themelon
Inactive

themelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to beholdthemelon is a splendid one to behold

Yes deffo need a Cable Router, you will then plug ethernet lead from Modem into Router Port1/Uplink/WAN/Internet (different routers have different names for this port) set up you wireless on the router (probably want to enable WPA for security and to stop people nicking you connection) and plug in a desktop PC to one of the other ports if required.

I find the Netgear Rangemax WPN824 an excellent piece of kit.

ADSL will not work on cable.
themelon is offline   Reply With Quote