Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wanadoo ADSL router - on NTL cable - direct or indirect? how to please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wanadoo ADSL router - on NTL cable - direct or indirect? how to please

Old 10-04-2007, 02:52   #1
Midnight Tboy
Inactive

Midnight Tboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Wanadoo ADSL router - on NTL cable - direct or indirect? how to please

Hi there,

ok so here's the deal.

I've got my main pc upstairs, with NTL (ok....virgin) cable broadband connection plugged into the ethernet as usual.

Now I do not own a laptop so I've never had the real need for anything wireless, I only have my xbox's downstaired hardwired and thats been my main network use for streaming etc.

Now my sister has just given me 2 old wanadoo adsl routers that she had in her house from when they used to be with wanadoo, 1 having never been used.

I believe that at least 1 of those comes with a USB wifi interface to connect my main pc wireless ly if needs be, tho I need to check that, and its near 3am at mo so cant just yet. That bit isn't essential as I dont mind it still being hardwired into the pc.

Anyways, I did a few searches and couldnt find any exact info, but someone did post once saying they did connect their ntl successfully to their pc via the adsl wanadoo box but no info was given about it (it was pertaining to another problem they had).

What I would like to do, if this will work, is basically, connect this router to my pc, so that my other half is able to take advantage of this for her Nintendo DS. I begrudge buying a cable specific router as its only more of a gimmick for her, but I dont see why using this shouldnt work.

The question is 'how easy'

I'd noticed there are 2 ethernet ports on the router itself.

I was thinking that perhaps with the router looking for adsl specifically it may not see there being a direct internet connection on say rj45 #1 so, at a guess I could not plug modem into #1 and pc into #2 for that method.

So I was in effect thinking at worst, surely the router will act fine as a wireless hub in effect?

so....options.

1) NTL modem connected to my pc still via ethernet or USB (USB preferabbly in this situ as only 1 ethernet port on this pc which I use for the xbox downstairs). ethernet to the router, and then using ICS sharing, I'd presume that it should work ok that way tunneling any traffic through via my PC rather than direct to modem (I've pinched my parents laptop in meantime to help troubleshoot when I start - I hate the DS ). I could also potentially plug the xbox cable directly into the router I'd have thought saving my need for a 2nd ethernet on pc.

2) - If in actual fact it does allow the cable modem to be used directly into the ethernet port, and presuming there is a dongle to allow my main pc (which does not have built in wifi btw) to connect wirelessly. .ethernet #1 with modem in, ethernet #2 to xbox, and wireless to PC and DS.

Would these work? any specific settings I'd need to set up on the router to allow it to use the pc as a gateway if using option 1? likewise for option 2.

I like the option 2 better as it gives me a few more options, especially as I now have a 50" hdtv downstairs (my birthday treat ) it makes me more tempted to take the pc down there so can hook it to that.

sorry for the questions, but I searched for some advice relating to this but came up empty, but going by the little info I have found looks like it 'can' be done.

cheers for the help,
Tuck

----

just to add.

I found the link where I saw that someone had successfully connected their main pc using the wanadoo router, so presumably it should be possible in some configuration or other.

http://forums.practicallynetworked.c...ead.php?t=6903
Midnight Tboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2007, 08:50   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Wanadoo ADSL router - on NTL cable - direct or indirect? how to please

to Cable Forum

It's not going to be easy to get these to work, if they will work at all.

Firstly, ADSL and Cable broadband operate in different ways. Cable broadband can only be obtained using a cable modem, ADSL using an ADSL modem. ADSL specific routers usually include the ADSL modem, whereas routers used for cable, will not include a modem, but have a WAN (internet side) port which you use to connect to the separate modem. Thus you can in fact use a router designed for cable on ADSL if your ADSL modem has an ethernet rather than USB port. ADSL specific routers tend not to have the ethernet WAN port, any ports on ADSL routers are for the LAN (network) side only.

Without a means of connecting the WAN side of a router to the cable modem, you cannot use a router in the normal configuration : broadband connection <> router <> computers.

However, some routers have the ability to operate in a bridging mode. This might enable one of them to act as some sort of wireless access point. Whether the Wanadoo ones will or not I dunno. Youll have to read the manual . If that is the case, your will need two network connections in your PC, and your PC will need to be on to get the network to operate, with it's internet connection sharing options enabled. Your connections would then be something like modem <> PC card #1, PC card #2 <> router #1, router <> consoles.

TBH it's all going to be a lot off faffing about. SInce you are trying to connect up a PC, and Xbox and now another console, I'd make your life easier and just get your self a proper cable orientated router. I've seen the Linksys WRT54GL on sale for as little as £30 recently at places like Overcklockers.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote