Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Networking queries

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Networking queries

Old 09-04-2007, 23:01   #1
Darrenp
Inactive

Services: Sky Digital, 2MB TW
Darrenp is an unknown quantity at this point
Networking queries

Never been too interested in networking my pc's until I joined Telewest, just used to use seperate modems for internet access on my 2 pc's.

Anyway, now I have cable decided to buy a wireless router and the usb adaptor for 2nd pc, both netgear.

So I've set them up all working fine, internet working on both and that is all I want so I havent really set up a "home network" I'm just sharing the connection.

As I havent set up no file sharing etc between the pc's are my computers still liable to outside parties gaining access to information on them? (I've set up the basic 64 bit wep)

Also, can the second pc (the 1 using the adaptor) be used online if the 1st pc isnt on? (router/modem switched on)

Sorry about the ramblin on.
Darrenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2007, 23:25   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Networking queries

If you have a router, and the router is the only thing connected directly to the modem, with each PC connecting to the router (wired or wireless) not via the other PC, then you only need to have the PC you are using, together with the router and modem switched on.

Theoretically hackers can get onto any active computer via your modem and the network you have set up. Each PC should ideally have it's own forewall, or you need to ensure the router you have has an active firewall inbuilt. That's in addition to the protection of the wireless network.

Wireless protection stops your neighbours using your network via their wireless adaptors. the 64 bit WEP you have setup is the most basic protection you can use. It will deter the casual user but ideally you should increase it.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote