Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 16-12-2012, 13:54   #1696
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Re: TV price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
And in 12 months there free to shop around again , why would anyone be so loyal to any company

In 12 months there'll be deals from VM , BT , Talk Talk etc , I only ever look on my provider 12 months at a time as things can and so often do change over this period of time.
As much as it is hassle it does looking switching every year will be the way to go.

This year it seems Sky is the best option on price and channels. Next year will be another story.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-12-2012, 13:58   #1697
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
And in 12 months there free to shop around again , why would anyone be so loyal to any company

In 12 months there'll be deals from VM , BT , Talk Talk etc , I only ever look on my provider 12 months at a time as things can and so often do change over this period of time.
Even though we have had three price rises in the past year VM have always been good to me in the past and in my mind loyalty is important because when there are problems VM have always sent someone around quickly at no extra cost to sort it out quickly and alas thats something you cannot say about the other suppliers and that is certainly one of the stings in the tail amongst other things.
Old 16-12-2012, 14:09   #1698
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
Yes def a great deal, although suspect Denphone is right re struggling for new customer numbers, they have had this problem all year, which is odd when they have kept Atlantic, formula 1 and other stuff exclusive to themselves. Maybe the number of people looking for multi channel TV has dried up?

However Sky are having a lot of success moving more of their existing customers onto triple play.
Only 95,000 new TV customer from September 2011 to September 2012. They are however doing a fantastic job upselling customers, and as you've suggested, getting people onto triple play.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

---------- Post added at 14:09 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Even though we have had three price rises in the past year VM have always been good to me in the past and in my mind loyalty is important because when there are problems VM have always sent someone around quickly at no extra cost to sort it out quickly and alas thats something you cannot say about the other suppliers and that is certainly one of the stings in the tail amongst other things.
Got to agree, I've never had any problems with Virgin in the past. I'm saving £600 this year by joining SKY. I can afford to pay for a SKY engineer visit ever 40 days and still be better off
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 14:17   #1699
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Only 95,000 new TV customer from September 2011 to September 2012. They are however doing a fantastic job upselling customers, and as you've suggested, getting people onto triple play.

---------- Post added at 14:09 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Got to agree, I've never had any problems with Virgin in the past. I'm saving £600 this year by joining SKY. I can afford to pay for a SKY engineer visit ever 40 days and still be better off
The selling more to existing is a massive opportunity, even with those figures only 33% of Sky customers take all 3 products, whereas with VM its 65%, so reckon there will be all sorts of offers on the way to push that number up.
Old 16-12-2012, 14:22   #1700
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Virgin's TV base has increased percentage wise more then Sky's
This isn't a loaded question as I don't know the answer. Who percentage wise has lost the most TV customers in 2012?
Old 16-12-2012, 14:27   #1701
geordiechris
cf.addict

geordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to behold

I wonder how many customers VM have lost since the announcement of their recent price increases
geordiechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 14:33   #1702
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The selling more to existing is a massive opportunity, even with those figures only 33% of Sky customers take all 3 products, whereas with VM its 65%, so reckon there will be all sorts of offers on the way to push that number up.
VM are the masters of triple play. They've been doing it since the days of Telewest etc... SKY are relatively new to it in comparison. With SKY fibre rolling out next year, and only 33% of customers on triple play just now, SKY has fantastic growth prospects.
Old 16-12-2012, 14:38   #1703
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
SKY has fantastic growth prospects.
Up until now they have not been able to offer fibre broadband to their customers so that has stopped them having so much triple pay. As fibre gets on more exchanges I expect that to change.

Have heard a lot of people say they would switch to Sky if it wasn't for the fact their area is still adsl only.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 14:44   #1704
Mr Banana

Quote:
VM are the masters of triple play. They've been doing it since the days of Telewest etc... SKY are relatively new to it in comparison. With SKY fibre rolling out next year, and only 33% of customers on triple play just now, SKY has fantastic growth prospects.
Isn't that what I said?

Old 16-12-2012, 15:54   #1705
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Isn't that what I said?

Ah sorry I misread your post.

Figures for NOW TV in 12 months time will be interesting too.
Old 16-12-2012, 16:07   #1706
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

If your talking growth what about Netflix , in just 7 months in the UK they managed to hit over a million subscribers.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 16:14   #1707
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Ah sorry I misread your post.

Figures for NOW TV in 12 months time will be interesting too.
Yes indeed it will but l think it will be held back somewhat with the price it is charging at the moment.

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

Quote:
If your talking growth what about Netflix , in just 7 months in the UK they managed to hit over a million subscribers.
Not surprising given its £6 a month price tag.
Old 16-12-2012, 16:45   #1708
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Not surprising given its £6 a month price tag.
Yes, Sky Movies will see its subscribers fall dramatically when Netflix finally comes to the TIVO box.

Wish they'd hurry up! Hopefully, we'll get it before the price rise to offset the 'feel bad' factor.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 10:34   #1709
MrB
cf.addict

MrB is on a distinguished roadMrB is on a distinguished road

I am probably going to get the usual "Mates Rates is not available to everyone" points raised by people, but would welcome your advice please as this seems the most appropriate forum to ask as it relates to the price rise and this thread includes some very helpful people.

Is it true that Mates Rates is the cheapest deal you can get on Virgin please? I phoned to query our price rise (£5.45 a month on top of £45) and was told this was the cheapest deal available on Virgin as it was half normal price. I know it isn't half price (it was originally), but how much should XL Phone (plus unused Talk Mobile/Talk International), XL BB, XL TV, 2xTivo 500gb and 1xV+ cost please, as you cannot work this out on their website as it only now lets you add one additional box and no V+ option. I should probably add at this point that this was the normal Mates Rates deal at the end of last year (£38.01) enhanced with swapping out the VHD box for a Tivo, moving the V+ to another room and adding another Tivo (as the deal was on at the time, if you remember, with one Tivo fee no matter how many boxes and free moving/keeping the V+).

I know that I had/have a fairly good deal for the package (though not as good as others who joined Mates Rates before me), but the combined rise from April and next February is close to 20% in a year and therefore is still a hefty rise and is causing me to re-evaluate just how good a deal it really is and whether we need it all. Could we, for example, remove the Talk Mobile and Talk International to bring down the price a bit without affecting the Mates Rates discount? And could we use the £120 line rental advance payment?

I received the letter towards the end of last month and queried when I need to give notice if I wish to leave - I was told 16th January (as she went away to check on the system) - this is clearly not 30 days from a date at the end of November when I received the letter? As someone mentioned earlier that all letters would be out by 17th December as they sare posting out letters/emails in batches and letters don't have the date on (mine just said November 2012), is the same notification date being set for everyone?

I am disappointed that the "free" upgrade to 60MB has not happened despite it originally being announced it would be here in July and that multi-room is there but unusuable for the content that we have recorded due to licensing, plus although Tivo is good, I am not sure we are getting the value out of it as we tend to still use it like the V+.

Many thanks

MrB
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 10:44   #1710
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
Is it true that Mates Rates is the cheapest deal you can get on Virgin please?
No it's not the cheapest deal - as the underlying package is a high level of services, so even when you get a discount it's still more expensive than some TV/BB/Phone combinations

Quote:
Could we, for example, remove the Talk Mobile and Talk International to bring down the price a bit without affecting the Mates Rates discount? And could we use the £120 line rental advance payment?
It depends on what the underlying package is as to whether you can remove services without effecting your discount. You should however be able to go for the Line Rental Saver