Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 08-12-2012, 15:51   #1606
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Re: TV price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Just to add a bit of balance here if Chad has anything to worry about then it has to be the Sky's broadband speeds as in my experiences it is dreadfully slow even though you pay less for it because in my experience you get what you pay for and Virgin's broadband is far superior on that score.
very true Den when I look at sky I would only get 1 to 3meg bb no way would I lose over 90 meg on bb
Dave42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2012, 15:54   #1607
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
very true Den when I look at sky I would only get 1 to 3meg bb no way would I lose over 90 meg on bb
Exactly as l would rather have caviar then iffits.
Old 08-12-2012, 15:56   #1608
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

My BB isnt too bad. I get around 17MB-20MB and coming from 50MB im still quite happy
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 16:00   #1609
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'm confused a little by your posts Chad what is it your after ? You seem to suggest your unhappy with the TV side however that then seems forgotten after the offer of a discount it would appear its more cost your focusing on which should be easy to compare , didn't you nearly join Sky last year due to being unhappy with the TV side only to be offered a discount ?
I'm in contract and unhappy at a 3rd price increase in 10 months. I've got a chance here to get out of my contract and move to another provider. In part I'm looking for value for money however I'm also considering what is on offer elsewhere. I've not agreed anything with Virgin yet. Me and the wife recently bought a new TV with 3D and she keeps bending my ear about SKY 3D and SKY Atlantic.

Do SKY still insist that their boxes must be connected to a phone landline? If so, must it be a SKY landline? I'm trying to see if part service from Virgin, part service from SKY might work.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 16:02   #1610
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I'm in contract and unhappy at a 3rd price increase in 10 months. I've got a chance here to get out of my contract and move to another provider. In part I'm looking for value for money however I'm also considering what is on offer elsewhere. I've not agreed anything with Virgin yet. Me and the wife recently bought a new TV with 3D and she keeps bending my ear about SKY 3D and SKY Atlantic.

Do SKY still insist that their boxes must be connected to a phone landline? If so, must it be a SKY landline? I'm trying to see if part service from Virgin, part service from SKY might work.
Its in the contract paper work that it has to be connected to a phone line not sure if it needs to be Sky line or not. I havnt got any of my boxes connect to my phone line.
Old 08-12-2012, 16:04   #1611
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1767715
No if you only have one box , yes if you have multiroom and you can use any landline I believe , I connect my multiroom with a wireless phone extender.

What are your BB estimates with Sky ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 16:08   #1612
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
Its in the contract paper work that it has to be connected to a phone line not sure if it needs to be Sky line or not. I havnt got any of my boxes connect to my phone line.
Thanks, I'll look into this.

San Knows wasn't working for me earlier. I've now got the results:

BT ADSL broadband availability

ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL2+ services

According to BT Wholesale, houses at your postcode should be able to support

up to 2Mbps via ADSL
7.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max
17Mbps or greater via ADSL2+

Standard ADSL RAG results
You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512kbps ADSL
You can receive 256kbps ADSL

You are approximately 638 metres from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

Quote:
What are your BB estimates with Sky ?
According to the SKY website 11.2 - 18.0 Mbps
Old 08-12-2012, 16:10   #1613
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

up to 2Mbps via ADSL

You are approximately 638 metres from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!

17mb or greater will eat On Demand downloads , I only receive 9mb and content is generally ready in seconds , does it say whether your exchange has BT FTTC ?

Sky always give an estimate as I believe you can cancel it should it fall below their estimate.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 16:10   #1614
nstokes
Inactive

Quote:

up to 2Mbps via ADSL

The speeds the site says is good. When i got my Sky estimate they said it would be between 6.9MB-16.6MB but im above that as min is 17MB and max is 20MB
Old 08-12-2012, 16:15   #1615
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
17mb or greater will eat On Demand downloads , I only receive 9mb and content is generally ready in seconds , does it say whether your exchange has BT FTTC ?

Sky always give an estimate as I believe you can cancel it should it fall below their estimate.
It won't be available until 31/03/2013
Old 08-12-2012, 16:16   #1616
nstokes
Inactive

Quote:
It won't be available until 31/03/2013
I reckon if you get Sky BB then to get Sky BB unlimited and then in 2014 when your contract is up then look at BT FTTC
Old 08-12-2012, 19:52   #1617
Safcftm21
Inactive

Safcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the roughSafcftm21 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Just to add a bit of balance here if Chad has anything to worry about then it has to be the Sky's broadband speeds as in my experiences it is dreadfully slow even though you pay less for it because in my experience you get what you pay for and Virgin's broadband is far superior on that score.
I went back to sky and basically took the hit on BB. However I'm now paying less and have Atlantic, all sports in HD as well as 3D which is excellent and not a gimmick if you ask me. Not to everyone's taste but you pays your money and takes your choice. No brainer for me Chad as your missus seems to be telling you to get sky and we all know who rules the house and its not us blokes
Safcftm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:39   #1618
montehampster
Inactive

montehampster is an unknown quantity at this point

I have moved my TV back to Sky but retained Virgin for phone and broadband ("free" upgrade to 60 Mbps) for £20 per month and paid my line rental up front.

I have multi room and connect my VM line to the both boxes (the Sky installer will do this for you). I have no prospect of my exchange being upgraded any time soon to give me a decent ASDL speed so feel I have to split my services.

I connect the Sky box to my Superhub by Homeplugs and the On Demand service works very well.

I got the 12 months half price deal with Sky so with the line rental deal from VM I am saving over £300 in the next 12 months and now have all the Sports and Movie channels in HD.

Once the 12 month contract is up I will of course reconsider my options but as someone who wasn't particularly bothered about Sky Atlantic I have to say I have thoroughly enjoyed the 4 part serialisation of Robert Wilson's Falcon.
montehampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:47   #1619
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Sounds as if you got a good deal, and and are getting the best of both worlds.

To quote Mr Punch "That's the way to do it!"
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 13:21   #1620
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo View Post
The letter is in.... and it's going up by £5.04.

Distinct lack of breakdown of charge on the letter... maybe they don't know it?

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

Just contacted VM and was told that they can't reduce my price as I am on the best package alledgedly but the lady said I could reduce my services and save money.

So I told them I would like to lose the landline as I never use it. She then said that that would mean my bill would go up!

You just couldn't make it up could you?!
This is the same as me.

I am a loyal customer of 10 years but I cannot see how I can continue with a subscription of £90 a month for these services. I don't even have movies or TiVo.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote