Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 02-04-2016, 22:21   #1621
mart44
Inactive

mart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I know you're just trying to be helpful MUD as you always are, but knowing Tinky they would struggle, you have to think about the older Windows OS user here not the younger ones that feel brave enough to do things like that, i know just like my retired parents they wouldn't touch that with a bargepole as it would stress them out too much as they only know Windows, so Windows would be the best option for my parents too.
My primary OS will probably always be a Microsoft one. It has been Windows 10 Pro from about 8 months ago and it is running fine for me (carried out a clean installation rather than an in-place upgrade).

However, Linux Mint with the Cinnamon Desktop is also good. Just as easy, or even easier, to set up and use than Windows 10 I'd say. It has nearly everything included in the installation to make it run out of the box.

Windows 10 when running properly is good but no matter whether young or old, there's no need to be wary of installing Linux Mint. I did so on a spare computer and use it often.

Mart44 - aged seventy-one and a half.
mart44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2016, 23:21   #1622
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post
Have you used Linux Mint Cinnamon? It doesn't sound like you have.

Also what you're saying doesn't tally. The suggestions in this thread for how to fix Windows 10 are waaay more complicated than either installing or using Linux Mint.

The whole Mint project has been designed with the idea of that group of people in mind, moving from Windows.

This is a non-technical mum using Linux Mint for the first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-PTQVeCF9k

The naming has been improved a lot since version 14, which this video is showing, as well.
My point being is you're suggesting a pensioner that struggles with computers ditches Windows, and I think that is the wrong way to go, considering I know how Tinky has struggled over the years. I am not saying Linux is bad but think for Tinky they wouldn't attempt such a change.
Old 03-04-2016, 15:37   #1623
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Hurrah!!!! After days of trying to get my beloved lappy to work properly I finally did it, don't ask me how, it took over 2 hours but I got there, and I am absolutely over the moon. Was about to take it to get fixed tomorrow! This has made my day.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 15:44   #1624
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

That's excellent news Tinky.
Old 03-04-2016, 16:13   #1625
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Hurrah!!!! After days of trying to get my beloved lappy to work properly I finally did it, don't ask me how, it took over 2 hours but I got there, and I am absolutely over the moon. Was about to take it to get fixed tomorrow! This has made my day.
Well done Tinky, glad you got it sorted, shame you don't know how though! haha
Old 03-04-2016, 16:30   #1626
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Well done Tinky, glad you got it sorted, shame you don't know how though! haha

Thank you SnoopZ

Thinking back, by a sheer fluke it actually allowed me to get back into settings and I found the 'reset my computer' button and pushed it quick before I gave myself the chance to think, I was so desperate. However I have retained my pictures and documents the only difference was I couldn't find my Windows Mail button, but no loss there (it was useless anyway) because I will now be using the Windows 10 mail instead and all my contacts have been retained, so what's not to like?
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 16:33   #1627
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Lets hope it doesn't happen again, but if it does make sure everything you don't want to lose are backed up in a few different places.
Old 03-04-2016, 18:47   #1628
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
My point being is you're suggesting a pensioner that struggles with computers ditches Windows, and I think that is the wrong way to go, considering I know how Tinky has struggled over the years. I am not saying Linux is bad but think for Tinky they wouldn't attempt such a change.
Where did I say to ditch Windows?

I said "Take a holiday from Microsoft issues, as I've done. So happy I did that.

Install Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon in a few minutes and use it straight out of the box, for whatever you want and become productive again. Then reinstall Windows 10 at your leisure.

<links>

You can access the Windows volume from Linux Mint easily to make a copy or backup any of your files you want before you re-install Windows.
"

Advising to dual-boot so you have more options isn't telling someone to ditch Windows... they then have a choice (and an extra recovery mechanism), which they didn't have before.

You'd be surprised how far some Linux distros for the regular user have come in the last few years. Some of them have Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 desktop choices now.

I wouldn't be advocating Mint if it wasn't so like Windows 7 that you didn't feel you had left Windows. I have to keep reminding myself I'm running Linux by remembering I don't need Anti-virus anymore! What a joy.

I will get back to Windows 7/10 for my re-install at some point and some gaming and then to maybe add a third boot for a developer Hackintosh setup.

Windows users since MS-DOS.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 19:10   #1629
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post
Where did I say to ditch Windows?

I said "Take a holiday from Microsoft issues, as I've done. So happy I did that.

Install Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon in a few minutes and use it straight out of the box, for whatever you want and become productive again. Then reinstall Windows 10 at your leisure.

<links>

You can access the Windows volume from Linux Mint easily to make a copy or backup any of your files you want before you re-install Windows.
"

Advising to dual-boot so you have more options isn't telling someone to ditch Windows... they then have a choice (and an extra recovery mechanism), which they didn't have before.

You'd be surprised how far some Linux distros for the regular user have come in the last few years. Some of them have Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1 desktop choices now.

I wouldn't be advocating Mint if it wasn't so like Windows 7 that you didn't feel you had left Windows. I have to keep reminding myself I'm running Linux by remembering I don't need Anti-virus anymore! What a joy.

I will get back to Windows 7/10 for my re-install at some point and some gaming and then to maybe add a third boot for a developer Hackintosh setup.

Windows users since MS-DOS.
Apologies if i misunderstood your posts, i was under the impression you were suggesting Tinky ditch Windows and install Linux to solve her Windows 10 problem, and knowing just how Tinky is from the forums i didn't think that was the way to go for them.

Anyway moving on, Tinky managed to get it all fixed eventually so we can now move on and get the thread back on track.
Old 03-04-2016, 23:15   #1630
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Well done Tinky
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:20   #1631
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Well done Tinks.
Old 04-04-2016, 14:30   #1632
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Yay! Well done Tinky, it must have been a nightmare and that's exactly the reason I tend to leave things which are working OK well alone unless I have to do something. To those of us who take time to become familiar with new programmes, chopping and changing in order to get a few new features we're unlikely to use anyway is more trouble than it's worth, especially when you don't have the knowledge and/or support to sort it out when things go wrong.

Progress is one thing but many people don't want to change systems they've come to like and feel secure and comfortable with? In the unlikely event that I ever bought a new car, I'd never choose the first of a brand new model. I'd much rather wait for the inevitable teething problems to surface and be properly resolved by the manufacturer/dealer (under warranty) before purchasing. I feel exactly the same about W10. Thus far I haven't seen anything from Win10 which would make my time on the PC significantly better/more rewarding/easier so why bother? If it all goes pear shaped MS aren't exactly going to spring to my aid and fix it all are they... Of course there may be lots of people who find it makes their experience better in some way and they're free to get it which is fine by me.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:22   #1633
progers
Pete

progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

I had what sounds like a similar problem to Tinky.
Had to reload Windows 10 twice, then I discovered it was down to a corrupted user profile and in the end had to create a new one and transfer everything over. It was a bit of a nightmare but hopefully now I have a fully working system.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:37   #1634
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
I had what sounds like a similar problem to Tinky.
Had to reload Windows 10 twice, then I discovered it was down to a corrupted user profile and in the end had to create a new one and transfer everything over. It was a bit of a nightmare but hopefully now I have a fully working system.
How did you discover the corrupted user profile?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:36   #1635
progers
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
How did you discover the corrupted user profile?
More by luck than judgement!

There were clues I missed the first two times but, although I was logging on with an MS user account, the confirmation was when I went to add a new account to "Settings" "Accounts" and discovered that there were no user accounts shown at all!

I then enabled the built in Administrator account to do the business