Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The future for linear TV channels

Old 01-01-2016, 16:31   #496
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
By heck we seem to have quite a few pessimists on the opening day of the year.
You're right. We must assume that VM will surprise us all later this year.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2016, 18:41   #497
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You're right. We must assume that VM will surprise us all later this year.
They will indeed surprise you with more price rises
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 18:43   #498
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
They will indeed surprise you with more price rises
As will others.
Old 01-01-2016, 19:33   #499
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
As will others.
Most only do 1 price rise a year though virgin tend to do 2 or 3.
Old 01-01-2016, 19:40   #500
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Most only do 1 price rise a year though virgin tend to do 2 or 3.
If you say so.
Old 01-01-2016, 20:43   #501
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
it seems to me that Sky have already grasped the nettle and are now embracing the changes to come
Yes, Sky know where things are heading. That's why SkyQ will have 8 or 12 linear TV tuners.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 21:00   #502
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Yes, Sky know where things are heading. That's why SkyQ will have 8 or 12 linear TV tuners.
But those tuners are still needed for the present. I would hope that the new Tivo box will also have more tuners. However, it also needs to be future proof and VM need to add lots more streaming/on demand content if they are to satisfy their customers.
Old 01-01-2016, 21:16   #503
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
If you say so.
It's true mate most companies do 1 price rise a year whilst virgin media do 2 or 3 a year infact i'm sure a poster on here mentioned their bill had risen by over £10p/m in the last year, 1 of the price rises are ofcourse down to sky or so vm say anyway.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:32   #504
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
It's true mate most companies do 1 price rise a year whilst virgin media do 2 or 3 a year infact i'm sure a poster on here mentioned their bill had risen by over £10p/m in the last year, 1 of the price rises are ofcourse down to sky or so vm say anyway.
If Sky put the sports and movies up Virgin has no say in this matter as one suspects they lose money selling Sky's premium channels on to the customer.
Old 02-01-2016, 13:35   #505
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

What is obvious is that each person has different priorities when it comes to TV viewing.

Many on this forum delight in having all sorts of means of getting content.

Though I have no statistics I suspect most people want to switch on the TV and with the minimum of button pressing watch their programme of choice.

Personally, except for the news, I record on TiVo just about everything I want to watch so rarely sit through adverts. However, if everyone did this all but the BBC would not be able to operate.

I have access to Netflix but it is such a palaver getting to it I rarely watch it (though I have to say once there it is brilliant so easily being able to continue where you left off). One problem is that twice recently it just stopped working mid programme. I think streaming is not yet reliable enough.

Finally, I watch on a 37 inch Panasonic. I really don't mind in most cases whether it is SD or HD (in fact on BBC 1 you need SD for the local news). I put this down to the excellence of the TiVo SD picture. Of course, I may think differently if I had an enormous screen.

Because of ease of tuning to your required programme I think TV as we know it will be around for a long time yet, though streaming services are sure to get more popular.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 17:21   #506
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post

I have access to Netflix but it is such a palaver getting to it I rarely watch it (though I have to say once there it is brilliant so easily being able to continue where you left off). One problem is that twice recently it just stopped working mid programme. I think streaming is not yet reliable enough.

My experience is completely different to that and find it very reliable. I wonder if it is a Tivo issue, assuming that is how you access it? A reboot would maybe solve the problem?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:40   #507
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

That's what I was thinking. I have been streaming a lot, particularly since Netflix was installed on the Tivo, and I have never experienced a problem except on the BBC i-player, when we were having all those problems with it some months back on the Tivo, with stuttering, pixillation, freezing, etc.

However, that now seems to be in the past as I have had no problems at all since then.
Old 03-01-2016, 14:33   #508
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I have no doubt Netflix is reliable for most people, most of the time. After all streaming accounts for only a fraction of TV consumption in the UK. If it were ever to get to the point where the majority preferred to stream their entertainment, we would have problems - the UK is a long way short of having the necessary data-hauling capacity, and even if it did, there aren't enough power stations to run it.

At present, broadcasters pay the satellite and transmitter companies for carriage, but they do not pay for Internet transmission. If we ever get anywhere near the levels of home streaming some here have predicted, the bandwidth and power demands will be so great, a radically different (and ultimately more expensive) funding model would be required.

Just another of the many reasons why TV Content delivery will not undergo the revolutionary shift that some here have predicted, any time in the foreseeable future.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 17:12   #509
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

If streaming is currently reckoned to be around 10% of UK viewing (can only dig up a figure of 3.8% for 2014 but with growth that seems about right) then getting to 100% (which of course it won't ever need to) doesn't seem that big a stretch given advances in codecs, telecoms kit and more local CDN servers (which the big video delivery services do pay the ISPs for).

Interestingly, according to Ofcom the biggest decline in traditional TV viewing in any platform was when Netflix launched on the TiVo and were offering the six month free deals. That and a ton of other interesting info on viewing habits here: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/bin...ing_habits.pdf
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 17:44   #510
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Actually, if the national news and entertainment infrastructure is ever to transfer to exclusively IP-based delivery, then 100% penetration is exactly what it *will* need to achieve. Why would you think otherwise?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote