Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connection problems solent

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What wireless speeds can I expect with 50mb ?

Old 03-04-2009, 04:21   #1
devilhunter
Inactive

devilhunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy What wireless speeds can I expect with 50mb ?

Hello people.

What wireless speeds can I expect to get with a 50mb connection ?
With my sons pc I have had no joy using the supplied Netgear dongle as it was so slow so went back using the old Belkin g dongle.
Speed tests are between 10 and 20 mb.

Now the real problem is my laptop - a brand new Acer 8930 with built in wireless n.
It is giving me the same sort of speeds - 10 to 20 mb wireless with speednet.
On looking at my wifi connection it is stating its connected at 54Mbps. I though it should upto 300Mbps ?
I get this speed all over the house and I am using WPA2.

Is it running in g mode ? Some help or advice would be great.
I am in Maidstone, Kent too and using a fixed ethernet brings me between 40 to 50 mb so at least it is a wireless problem.

Cheers guys.
devilhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2009, 04:44   #2
Stabhappy
Inactive

Services: XXL BB + M Phone
Stabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Stabhappy
Re: What wireless speeds can I expect with 50mb ?

Change the wireless channel in the router. However, if you have a 'G' device connected I belive the standard procedure for routers is to use G for all devices.
Stabhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:04   #3
devilhunter
Inactive

oh yes.....

Just realised that I had TKIP instead of AES in the wireless setting in Vista.
Just changed it to AES and this is the first speed test.

Thats to a server in Germany and I am on the 2nd floor and the router is on the ground floor. Thats why I want the 50mb !

I cant believe that after 3 calls to VM and Netgear and no one suggested changing that 1 simple thing.

Will try the Netgear dongle on my sons pc again tomorrow.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:12   #4
Stabhappy
Inactive

Services: XXL BB + M Phone
Stabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Stabhappy

Ooo! That's much healthier.
Stabhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:20   #5
HSp8
Inactive

HSp8 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also getting poor speeds with the Netgear dongle (20Mb)

Should I just buy a G dongle to get higher speeds? What settings do I need to change on the router? (WNR2000)
HSp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:08   #6
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

You might try TCP optimizer on all your PCs and lappies. http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php I got an immediate improvement on my N-router wireless connection to laptops. Beware though. The age and spec of your laptop will affect download speeds.

Don't expect anything like 50mb anyway. To get over 30mb would be outstanding!

I found it better to get some ex BTVision Comtrend powerline adaptors off eBay (£30 - £40 a pair) I have set the whole house running off of these to serve games systems and the media PC etc. I'm getting 40mb+ through those. It is really easy to get different pairs of Comtrends to talk to each other.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:17   #7
devilhunter
Inactive

Just to be clear, when you click on the network and sharing, connection view status the speed stated 65 Mbps (up from 54).

What does that actually mean and is 65 ok ? - what do you guys connect at ?

R
Old 03-04-2009, 13:32   #8
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilhunter View Post
Just to be clear, when you click on the network and sharing, connection view status the speed stated 65 Mbps (up from 54).

R

Not sure what you mean.
Old 03-04-2009, 14:13   #9
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

R
That is your connection speed to your router, not the internet. 65 should give you enough bandwidth to get 50mb.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 14:31   #10
devilhunter
Inactive

Update.

I changed the channel number in the wireless settings on the router page to channel 7 from channel 9 and that has brough the Mbps speed upto around 130 so that a vast improvement.
is there a best channel or is it just trial and error ?
Old 03-04-2009, 14:53   #11
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwell View Post
That is your connection speed to your router, not the internet. 65 should give you enough bandwidth to get 50mb.
Ah I get what devilhunter means now. For example my PC ethernet connection to the N-Router is 100mbs, my laptop radio connection to the n-Router is 300mbs. However my VM cable modem on http://192.168.100.1/ is set to max at 53mb.

Looks like you should have no trouble accessing 50mb with a 130mb transfer speed devilhunter.
Old 03-04-2009, 15:03   #12
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Update.

I changed the channel number in the wireless settings on the router page to channel 7 from channel 9 and that has brough the Mbps speed upto around 130 so that a vast improvement.
is there a best channel or is it just trial and error ?
Generally 1, 6 and 11.

I change my channel, go to command prompt and ping my router and watch for inconsistencies.

e.g.

Start
Run
cmd
ping 192.168.1.1 -t
look for MS inconsistencies

ctrl + c to cancel ping.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote