Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wi-fi Issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wi-fi Issue

Old 18-09-2008, 22:48   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Wi-fi Issue

I've got a problem with a HP laptop (it's a nc6400 i think) where it seems to Lose its IP address when on my wireless network.

It's actually a company issue laptop but it's driving me nuts becuase everytime it does it it causes the VPN to drop.

What will happen is basically I'll be sitting there and it will pop up limited or no connectivity, and assign itself an Ip in the 169.xxx range

None of my machines seem to have a problem with the DHCP lease.

I've checked the lease expiry and my router is giving out a 24hr lease yet the laptop in question is losing its Ip after all of 10 - 15minutes of being issued it.

I'm not sure if it still happens without the VPN running, could the VPN cause this?

Router is a WRT160N running DD-WRT V24 SP1

Router will give out one of 2 types of DHCP lease

In the case of a machine that's not in the "static DHCP" table on the router it will give a 24hr lease.

In the case of a machine where i've fixed the IP in the routers config it Will give the machine a DHCP lease that expires in October 2144

Either way there is no reason for the machine to dump its IP after all of 10mins
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2008, 23:00   #2
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
Re: Wi-fi Issue

dragon if you got admin rights on the lappy it might be worth updating the drivers for the card (probably is an intel 2200 b/g card and there are quite a few updates for those
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 23:05   #3
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

I suspect it is losing the wireless connection and then, to be helpful, changes your IP. It won't get the old one back untill the wireless is back and it does another DHCP.

Sounds like the old channel interference problem. Try a different one. If you can, have a scan about first to see what any neighbours are using and pick something well away from them.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 23:11   #4
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
I suspect it is losing the wireless connection and then, to be helpful, changes your IP. It won't get the old one back untill the wireless is back and it does another DHCP.

Sounds like the old channel interference problem. Try a different one. If you can, have a scan about first to see what any neighbours are using and pick something well away from them.
Not channel interference afaik unless the neighbours AP has hopped channels again.

None of the other Laptops have a problem.

---------- Post added at 23:11 ---------- Previous post was at 23:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDutch View Post
dragon if you got admin rights on the lappy it might be worth updating the drivers for the card (probably is an intel 2200 b/g card and there are quite a few updates for those
I did install a driver update a while back didn't solve the problem, Played with some advanced settings in DD-WRT config seemed to solve it for a while but the problems back.

Might see if there's any further driver updates.

I do have admin rights on the machine actually
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 08:58   #5
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Try giving lappy a static IP and see if that works for longer than your 15mins... It could be the VPN tunnel doing it...though if the vpn doesn't drop out on any other wifi connections (try one at MacD's if you can) then i don't think it would be that.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote