Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

Old 12-05-2011, 16:35   #2731
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

I've been offered a new job, which scares me slightly.......
Old 12-05-2011, 16:44   #2732
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post

Congrats.

Pleased for you.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 16:44   #2733
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
I presume you wouldn't have been offered the job if you weren't considered to be capable of doing it so maybe this is a turning point for you.
Old 12-05-2011, 16:58   #2734
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I presume you wouldn't have been offered the job if you weren't considered to be capable of doing it so maybe this is a turning point for you.

Thank you,

It's a move back into the private sector and also back into IT in a very hands on technical role the salary would be the same or 3K less plus a company car.

Now I have no idea about company cars so Im very very confused

It also scares me about moving from the relatively safe public sector back into the private sectory. ( Suffering a lack of confidence here which does not help)

I originally applied for the role about six months ago just before i had my breakdown so for them to call is unexpected.

I would also feel guilty about leaving my current employer after they have supported me through my illness, should I ?
Old 12-05-2011, 17:02   #2735
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Congrats.

Pleased for you.
I couldn't find a spare

Ah well
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 18:29   #2736
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I would also feel guilty about leaving my current employer after they have supported me through my illness, should I ?
IMHO I would stay where you are, your present employers are happy with your work, you do not have to prove anything to them, and they know your history. You say you have had a breakdown, so why put yourself under possible stress with a new employer, and take a drop in salary? Doesn't make sense to me. Pat yourself on the back that you have received this offer, you obviously made quite an impression when you first applied.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 19:42   #2737
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Thank you,

It's a move back into the private sector and also back into IT in a very hands on technical role the salary would be the same or 3K less plus a company car.

It also scares me about moving from the relatively safe public sector back into the private sectory. ( Suffering a lack of confidence here which does not help)

I originally applied for the role about six months ago just before i had my breakdown so for them to call is unexpected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
IMHO I would stay where you are, your present employers are happy with your work, you do not have to prove anything to them, and they know your history. You say you have had a breakdown, so why put yourself under possible stress with a new employer, and take a drop in salary? Doesn't make sense to me. Pat yourself on the back that you have received this offer, you obviously made quite an impression when you first applied.
I agree with Tinky on this.

Take heart that your skills are appreciated out side of the Public Sector, a lot of people don't have the where-with-all to cut it in the Private Sector and you do. However, your employers knows your history, and have proved that they are behind you so I would stick with them and avoid the inevitable upheaval you would experience if you changed employers and working conditions at the moment. If in the future you decided to try for another job you can do so when you are more able to cope with the extra pressure.
Old 12-05-2011, 21:25   #2738
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Quote:
Thank you,

Sorry ladies but i disagree with you both (no offence), the public sector is dying and I'm looking to get into the private sector where all the growth is expected. Whilst we have the government in control as we do, private sector is the only way to go IMO.
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 21:47   #2739
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Ordered the rings & booked the honeymoon...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 21:51   #2740
Sasha222
Inactive

Sasha222 has a nice shiny starSasha222 has a nice shiny star
Sasha222 has a nice shiny star

Wow are you all excited. We have three weddings to look forward to: Yours Dilli and Warewolf also. Now what hat do I buy? Decisions decisions decisions
Sasha222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 22:07   #2741
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I'm sort of in the same boat, I sent out 28 CVs to companies that might do the role I used to do in aviation.

6 replied with sorry, and 1 called me in for a temp job (2 months but this may go on longer or full time), as the person who does the job in hospital waiting cancer surgury (I heard today that it had been cancelled due to it spreading and he needs radiothearpy & chemothearpy first.)

It's paying very good money so it could be several months good funds (any hols would be unpaid).

I've worked in places were you only got promotion if a person left or died, the later could be never a truer word, which does make me feel somewhat guilty.
Old 13-05-2011, 03:21   #2742
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

A log cabin in < 2 weeks in mid Wales and I don't care the weather - the breakfast and company is more prescious. And mended ribs
Old 13-05-2011, 07:21   #2743
Tinky
To err is human

Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Ordered the rings & booked the honeymoon...
Aw I am so happy for you Cobby, when's the big day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha222 View Post
Wow are you all excited. We have three weddings to look forward to: Yours Dilli and Barewolf also. Now what hat do I buy? Decisions decisions decisions
Does that mean I will have to buy 3 new hats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caff View Post
A log cabin in < 2 weeks in mid Wales and I don't care the weather - the breakfast and company is more precious. And mended ribs
Sounds very romantic to me Caff, have a wonderful time!
Old 13-05-2011, 08:11   #2744
tosh mate
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV L 20MB BB
tosh mate has reached the bronze age
tosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze agetosh mate has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caff View Post
A log cabin in < 2 weeks in mid Wales and I don't care the weather - the breakfast and company is more prescious. And mended ribs
nice and romantic - enjoy
and plenty of picture's of your holiday too i hope
sorry to hear about your rib's

I'm Glad Your Happy
tosh mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 08:15   #2745
Tinky
To err is human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I'm sort of in the same boat, I sent out 28 CVs to companies that might do the role I used to do in aviation.

6 replied with sorry, and 1 called me in for a temp job (2 months but this may go on longer or full time), as the person who does the job in hospital waiting cancer surgury (I heard today that it had been cancelled due to it spreading and he needs radiothearpy & chemothearpy first.)

It's paying very good money so it could be several months good funds (any hols would be unpaid).

I've worked in places were you only got promotion if a person left or died, the later could be never a truer word, which does make me feel somewhat guilty.
Good for you Hom3r! IMVHO You obviously have the qualifications or you would not have had the offer. What matters it, if the job only lasts for a couple of months so what? A job is a job is a job and it's always something else to add to your CV. Sounds as though it could become permanent, although I sincerely hope the original job holder makes a full recovery, but that is out of your hands, so no need for you to feel guilty. Pity about not being paid for holidays tho, I trust that this would alter if the job became yours. Let us know what you decide. Good luck!