Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Pirate Bay is blocked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Pirate Bay is blocked

Old 02-09-2012, 19:26   #811
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7 View Post
Having come back to this thread after a long break I find it interesting that so many people would seem to feel I would be in the right if I broke into their homes and stole their property. Taking something that isn't yours is THEFT in my book and there is no justification to prove otherwise.

The pirate bay does not host any of the files that can be found via there links, links that can be found on other sites which includes for instance stuff found on google

They wanted to attack a target they felt they could shut down and who did not have the money to defend themselves. What they did in fact was fail spectacularly and drive even more traffic to the pirate bay. I can search now on google and find lots and lots of links that do exactly what the pirate bay does. Here's a question WHY have they not taken Google to court for hosting torrent links ????

MONEY would be the answer and that's something Google has in abundance to pay for very very good lawyers, lawyers that would ensure that google would win but not before there is a lot of money spent on the court case. The movie industry will not take on anyone they feel they might lose against because they don't have the balls

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2012, 20:10   #812
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

I have never used Pirate Bay as whatever I needed has always been available on the one and only site that I have used for years and I never get any malware.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 20:50   #813
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
The pirate bay does not host any of the files that can be found via there links, links that can be found on other sites which includes for instance stuff found on google

They wanted to attack a target they felt they could shut down and who did not have the money to defend themselves. What they did in fact was fail spectacularly and drive even more traffic to the pirate bay. I can search now on google and find lots and lots of links that do exactly what the pirate bay does. Here's a question WHY have they not taken Google to court for hosting torrent links ????

MONEY would be the answer and that's something Google has in abundance to pay for very very good lawyers, lawyers that would ensure that google would win but not before there is a lot of money spent on the court case. The movie industry will not take on anyone they feel they might lose against because they don't have the balls

exactly ,and what would happen if they did try to take google to court and google won ? all the other torrent sites including TPB would be able to carry on as before .How does that old saying go ?......"if you're going to pick a fight ,pick one you know you will win "
Old 02-09-2012, 22:08   #814
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
exactly ,and what would happen if they did try to take google to court and google won ? all the other torrent sites including TPB would be able to carry on as before .How does that old saying go ?......"if you're going to pick a fight ,pick one you know you will win "

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:22   #815
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7 View Post
Having come back to this thread after a long break I find it interesting that so many people would seem to feel I would be in the right if I broke into their homes and stole their property. Taking something that isn't yours is THEFT in my book and there is no justification to prove otherwise.
it is but noone is taking anything.

the movie and music companies still own all the physical copyrights.

your comparison is silly.

there is a legal argument but lets stick to facts and correct defenitions.

The amount of time and money spent on combatting piracy is probably very excessive and also causing harm to things like liberties and other sectors. The affect on actual piracy is in all likelyhood going to be minimal and the entertainment industry is not struggling.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 23:16   #816
zer0
Inactive

Services: 60mbit
zer0 is on a distinguished roadzer0 is on a distinguished road

if you copy a cd you borrow from a friend should you be sent to prison and have your internet restricted, personally i think that's massively out of proportion to a civil offense
zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 23:28   #817
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
it is but noone is taking anything.

the movie and music companies still own all the physical copyrights.
BIB. Which are worthless if everyone simply copies whatever it is.

You buy the copyright to something because you hope people will like it enough to buy it. If they simply copy it you get nothing.

So yes, people are "taking something" when they make copy of any copyright-protected work.

Quote:
your comparison is silly.
Actually it's perfectly valid.

Quote:
there is a legal argument but lets stick to facts and correct defenitions.
We are doing. Taking something that is not yours is theft.
Quote:
In common usage, theft is the taking of another person's property without that person's permission or consent with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of it.
In this case, you deprive the rightful owner for the copyright in that work the money they are due.

Quote:
The amount of time and money spent on combatting piracy is probably very excessive and also causing harm to things like liberties and other sectors.
Oh please Don't go quoting liberties at us for what is basically against the law; whether that be civil or otherwise. I'm all for liberties; for law-abiding citizens.

Quote:
The affect on actual piracy is in all likelyhood going to be minimal and the entertainment industry is not struggling.
I agree with you on this though.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 15:56   #818
mattysouthall
Inactive

mattysouthall is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like someone broke the block page?

http://my.virginmedia.com/site-blocked.html

Internal server error? :P
mattysouthall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 18:19   #819
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

LOL

Error: OK
Please contact the server administrator, you@example.com

If you@example.com is running VM's servers, that explains a lot of things.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 22:15   #820
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

I think ive only ever seen that page work properly once or twice, the rest of the time its been a server error page
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 17:35   #821
One Pound
Inactive

One Pound can only hope to improve

I think making a copy of something electronic and stealing something physical from a shop is different. If you copy something you're not stealing, you've just made a duplicate of it. This doesn't mean that copying without permission is right, I just think we need to understand they are not the same thing.

If you download something without permission nobody can say for sure that if you were unable to get it free that you would have bought it. If you wouldn't have bought it in any case couldn't it be said that the copyright holder has lost nothing?
One Pound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 18:09   #822
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pound View Post
I think making a copy of something electronic and stealing something physical from a shop is different. If you copy something you're not stealing, you've just made a duplicate of it. This doesn't mean that copying without permission is right, I just think we need to understand they are not the same thing.
When you buy a DVD, you're not just buying the material of the disk, you're buying the right to watch the film.

So if you download a film like that 'illegally' then although you're not physically stealing anything, you are taking something (the right to watch it) without paying for it.

Of course whether or not that bothers anyone is a different subject.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:14   #823
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

What i don't like is when they claim how many millions/billions they are losing because of piracy, someone that downloaded a film just to see what it was like, might not have paid to watch it in the first place.
Don't get me wrong, Piracy is wrong but sometimes i think with music it is a good way to get your stuff heard and a lot of artists publically agree with that.

I for one will download an album that i wouldn't have ever brought just to see if i like it and if i do then i go out and buy it, if there wouldn't have been the ability to download it then i probably would have never even thought about buying it, so in some cases people are making extra money from it.
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:24   #824
One Pound
Inactive

One Pound can only hope to improve

I think the worse case of the music industry exaggerating losses is when the RIAA claimed that Limewire owed them 75 trillion dollars. That's more money than the music recording industry has made since the invention of the phonograph.
One Pound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 19:36   #825
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pound View Post
I think the worse case of the music industry exaggerating losses is when the RIAA claimed that Limewire owed them 75 trillion dollars. That's more money than the music recording industry has made since the invention of the phonograph.
$72 trillion.....

But what's three trillion here or there.....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote