Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Pirate Bay is blocked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Pirate Bay is blocked

Old 07-05-2012, 17:41   #211
NIco V
Permanently Banned

NIco V is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Not having to pay for something....
What a low blow!

You are not a believer of online privacy and security? (a rhetoric question...)
NIco V is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2012, 17:44   #212
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

But in this case, privacy and security have nothing to do with it. People want to access TPB to download "illegal" TV shows, etc.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 17:47   #213
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmfriend View Post
Ah so you pay for a VPN not to pay for something else = genius
You do realise that P2P filesharing actually has legitimate uses. There are thousands of artists sharing their own copyrighted media. One of my servers in the UK runs a seedbox and trust me there's no copyrighted material on that. I also run a ShoutCast radio station and again all the music on there is from independent artists who own the copyright which I would argue is as good as anything the signed artists are doing in the genre. Infact I had to remove one of the artists CD's because he got signed.

How about 37GB of free music or maybe you want to watch a movie for free. I'll leave the reader ponder what films would now be available on the last site under sensible copyright laws, hint go on IMDB and type in 1982. (Note to mods these sites do not link to copyrighted material.)

Oh and VPN = privacy.
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 18:00   #214
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by _wtf_ View Post
You do realise that P2P filesharing actually has legitimate uses. There are thousands of artists sharing their own copyrighted media. One of my servers in the UK runs a seedbox and trust me there's no copyrighted material on that. I also run a ShoutCast radio station and again all the music on there is from independent artists who own the copyright which I would argue is as good as anything the signed artists are doing in the genre. Infact I had to remove one of the artists CD's because he got signed.

How about 37GB of free music or maybe you want to watch a movie for free. I'll leave the reader ponder what films would now be available on the last site, hint go on IMDB and type in 1982. (Note to mods these sites do not share copyrighted material.)

Oh and VPN = privacy.
you might as well shout at the wind ,Torrents = illegal downloading to most people ,they forget or don't realise that P2P is a very efficient way of sharing files.

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
But in this case, privacy and security have nothing to do with it. People want to access TPB to download "illegal" TV shows, etc.
not all the time
Old 07-05-2012, 18:02   #215
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

How about 37GB of free music or maybe you want to watch a movie for free. I'll leave the reader ponder what films would now be available on the last site under sensible copyright laws, hint go on IMDB and type in 1982. (Note to mods these sites do not link to copyrighted material.)

Oh and VPN = privacy.
_wtf_, what does your post have to do with VPN - which is what vmfriend was discussing.

Your example is how P2P can be used to access material legitimately - people appear to be asking how to access a VPN to access material which doesn't appear to have the copyright holders permission to be distributed; two completely different things.

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
you might as well shout at the wind ,Torrents = illegal downloading to most people ,they forget or don't realise that P2P is a very efficient way of sharing files.

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

not all the time
No, not all* of the time....

*but probably a very large percentage of the time.....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 18:20   #216
cook1984
Inactive

cook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud ofcook1984 has much to be proud of

Will be really interesting to see stats for UK Pirate Bay and BitTorrent usage in the next few months.

Personally I'd say it has helped me discover even more useful BT sites to download from. While looking for the simplest and easiest way around the block I found lots of new sites and discovered a whole load of stuff to download I hadn't seen before. I suppose you become a bit myopic when you use just one or two sites all the time. Setting up Tor also gave me something to do over the weekend, although it turned out to be a ten minute job.

Thanks PRS.
cook1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 18:35   #217
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

No, not all* of the time....

*but probably a very large percentage of the time.....
not going to deny that ,which takes me back to my earlier point of how illegal filesharing via TPB and other sites in the name of internet freedom has given the government the need or opportunity(depends on point of view)to censor the web.As has been mentioned already ,sites like TPB would be a fantastic platform for new artists of all genres but getting hijacked and used as a source for illegal music and films has ruined that .
Having said that it could be argued that the popularity of TPB is purely down to it's ability to supply said illegal files
Old 07-05-2012, 18:53   #218
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Oh and VPN = privacy.
From whom?

So your ISP can't monitor you but then your VPN provider can.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:13   #219
Dush
Inactive

Dush can only hope to improve

There's VPN providers that have setup their network architecture so that they cannot identify who accesses what. It's not that they don't keep logs it's that the technology means multiple users share IP addresses or something similar.

It's also useful for circumventing your ISP's traffic management policies if that's what you want to do.
Dush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:24   #220
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Your ISP also had set up your network architecture so they cannot identify who accesses what, until the law told them they had to do otherwise.

VPN providers are still subject to the law.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:25   #221
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
... but then your VPN provider can.
Wouldn't that be an oxymoron!

Realistically I doubt that, currently, any VPN provider would be that interested in the cost of a full on monitoring system.

I've set up my own OpenVPN server and proxy server on a VPS in the UK. I don't know if or how much the VPS or dedicated server providers monitor traffic beyond that used for billing. I'm guessing they wouldn't be that interested unless the server came to the attention of the authorities. Maybe you know differently?

Quote:
Yes but the law of the country the servers are in. The VPN providers I listed earlier do log in the countries that require it by law.
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:33   #222
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
not going to deny that ,which takes me back to my earlier point of how illegal filesharing via TPB and other sites in the name of internet freedom has given the government the need or opportunity(depends on point of view)to censor the web.As has been mentioned already ,sites like TPB would be a fantastic platform for new artists of all genres but getting hijacked and used as a source for illegal music and films has ruined that .
Having said that it could be argued that the popularity of TPB is purely down to it's ability to supply said illegal files
In other words they brought in on themselves A good post, marty.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:51   #223
Dush
Inactive

Dush can only hope to improve

Quote:
Your ISP also had set up your network architecture so they cannot identify who accesses what, until the law told them they had to do otherwise.

Of their country yes. Depends where the internet access breaks out of and where the company is registered.

And also if there's no technical way they can do it you can't do anything; with ISP's it's pretty trivial.
Dush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:54   #224
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook1984 View Post
Will be really interesting to see stats for UK Pirate Bay and BitTorrent usage in the next few months.

Personally I'd say it has helped me discover even more useful BT sites to download from. While looking for the simplest and easiest way around the block I found lots of new sites and discovered a whole load of stuff to download I hadn't seen before. I suppose you become a bit myopic when you use just one or two sites all the time. Setting up Tor also gave me something to do over the weekend, although it turned out to be a ten minute job.

Thanks PRS.
Umm...

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/bit...isnt-good-idea
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 21:07   #225
Howzie
Inactive

Services: 30meg Virgin Cable, Digital TV, Apple Computer system, Blackberry.
Howzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Look carefully and PB is not the only site blocked that evokes Virgins kind message.
Howzie is offline   Reply With Quote