Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin TV (2024)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin TV (2024)

Old 15-03-2024, 18:45   #226
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin TV (2024)

Is Virgin set to launch a new HD Channel soon?

From UK Cable TV Changes:
Quote:
E! HD - Placeholder - End of Service.
- Moved from SID 1710 to placeholder SID 1760.
The move to a placeholder SID frees up SID 1710 for re-use.
The placeholder is due to be deleted at the end of the month if the traditional retention period applies.
This change taking place with such a short time left for the placeholder could indicate that Virgin TV has plans for a new service to use SID 1710 imminently.
See March 15th on link: https://ukcabletvchanges.blogspot.com/2024/03/

If Virgin is set to launch a new HD Channel I feel it can be any of the following:

-CNN HD
-DAZN 1 HD
-Baby TV HD
-Create & Craft HD
-MUTV HD
-Nick Jr. HD
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 15-03-2024 at 18:57. Reason: My views
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-03-2024, 18:50   #227
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Of course, 1p for each hour you previously watched these channels. Call 150 from your Virgin Media landline, choosing option 7 to request this discount. Don’t worry we know how many hours you previously watched of the channels.
Didn't even know they existed
Old 18-03-2024, 20:50   #228
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Virgin Media UK are tonight testing THREE unknown HD Channels on it Network.

I have tonight been told by someone "In the know":

"On all links you will see the top of the graph is no longer flat.

That means a new service has been added to the IP stat-mux at distribution level.

Maybe more info on them later this week."

HD Channel 1 is on SID 1710: https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ve=209&lang=en

HD Channel 2 is on SID 24??: https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ve=209&lang=en

HD Channel 3 is on SID 25??: https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ve=209&lang=en

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 18-03-2024 at 21:40.
Old 19-03-2024, 02:49   #229
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

A bit of an anti-climax as the extra HD channels turned out to be replacements for Nick Junior & Al Jazeera (English & Arabic) channels.
Technical details of these changes and new details of changes to the pre-launch channel numbers of various FAST channels at:
https://ukcabletvchanges.blogspot.com/
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 08:09   #230
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

HD replacements for Paramount's remaining free SD channels would be welcome:

5USA
5STAR
5SELECT

We already have Channel 5 HD and 5ACTION HD.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 10:36   #231
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post

5USA
5STAR
5SELECT

Indeed, that's what I was thinking.
Old 19-03-2024, 11:20   #232
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
A bit of an anti-climax as the extra HD channels turned out to be replacements for Nick Junior & Al Jazeera (English & Arabic) channels.
Technical details of these changes and new details of changes to the pre-launch channel numbers of various FAST channels at:
https://ukcabletvchanges.blogspot.com/
It says that the purpose of the HD flag is to have the channel put into the HD channel list on the EPG. Do you know if BBC4 erroneously has this missing as I often find that their programmes don't appear in this list. I like to easily find & view HD programmes first to free up more disc space.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 11:31   #233
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post

5USA
5STAR
5SELECT

Quote:
Indeed, that's what I was thinking.
Due to them only being on Sky Glass or Sky Stream boxes.

I feel they will only launch on Virgin Stream boxes.
Old 19-03-2024, 13:55   #234
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
Due to them only being on Sky Glass or Sky Stream boxes.

I feel they will only launch on Virgin Stream boxes.
That would be a departure from the norm, at the moment Virgin don't have Stream exclusive channels.

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It says that the purpose of the HD flag is to have the channel put into the HD channel list on the EPG. Do you know if BBC4 erroneously has this missing as I often find that their programmes don't appear in this list. I like to easily find & view HD programmes first to free up more disc space.
All versions of BBC4 have the HD flag and the flags are either always on (HD channels) or always off (SD channels etc). I think that only the old sports channel content flags switched between 0 (off) and 1 (on) on a regular basis and they (thankfully) disappeared when legacy boxes were removed from the network. The HD flag is only used to add an "HD" option to the "Show Channels" filter on the EPG.

Do you mean programmes don't show in "HD Recordings" in "My Shows"? That's a completely different process.
Old 19-03-2024, 14:38   #235
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

On a V6 on BBC4 - the purpose of the HD flag in the episode is to indicated if the programme was made in HD. Older programmes like Top of the Pops should not have the HD flag on BBC4 HD as they are not sourced in HD - just upscaled.

Quote:
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 14:51   #236
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
That would be a departure from the norm, at the moment Virgin don't have Stream exclusive channels.
Will Sky viewers can only watch the following channels in HD on Sky Glass or Sky Stream.

5SELECT HD
5STAR HD
5USA HD
Baby TV HD
Sky Replay HD
Cartoonito HD

To get more Virgin viewers to get Virgin Stream - Virgin Media UK may follow.
Old 19-03-2024, 15:00   #237
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
Will Sky viewers can only watch the following channels in HD on Sky Glass or Sky Stream.

5SELECT HD
5STAR HD
5USA HD
Baby TV HD
Sky Replay HD
Cartoonito HD

To get more Virgin viewers to get Virgin Stream - Virgin Media UK may follow.
Time will tell but I would think that it would be more likely to attract more customers with things such as a multi-room option.

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
On a V6 on BBC4 - the purpose of the HD flag in the episode is to indicated if the programme was made in HD. Older programmes like Top of the Pops should not have the HD flag on BBC4 HD as they are not sourced in HD - just upscaled.
Quite. That's an HD "Events" flag rather than the HD flag in the SDT which just acts as a pseudo-genre for "Show Channels".

I've nudged UKCTVC to update their description of the HD flag, on the blog, to make it (hopefully) less ambiguous.

Last edited by epsilon; 19-03-2024 at 16:05.
Old 20-03-2024, 01:16   #238
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

All versions of BBC4 have the HD flag and the flags are either always on (HD channels) or always off (SD channels etc). I think that only the old sports channel content flags switched between 0 (off) and 1 (on) on a regular basis and they (thankfully) disappeared when legacy boxes were removed from the network. The HD flag is only used to add an "HD" option to the "Show Channels" filter on the EPG.

Do you mean programmes don't show in "HD Recordings" in "My Shows"? That's a completely different process.
Yes.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 03:03   #239
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
Yes.
I thought so, that's why I asked UKCTVC to update the description. The HD events flag within the actual EPG will determine whether or not programmes appear in "HD Recordings". As ozsat pointed out, programmes which are upscaled from SD won't have that flag and there are quite a few of those on BBC 4. Unfortunately, the flag is also missing for native HD content on some occasions, not just on BBC 4. Events flags can be a bit hit and miss e.g. the first showing of a programme may not be marked as "new" and, if a series link is set to only record new episodes, it may be missed.

Nothing to do with the HD flag in the SDT though, which just creates the HD pseudo-genre for the "show channels" filter.
Old 20-03-2024, 05:40   #240
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The 'new' flag in the episode data is again just a display flag - the series link 'new' selection is based on the original air date although some older programmes get a new date so is also not 100%.

The 'new' recording seelction goes something like - if the original air date is within the last 28 days and the programme has not been recorded before - then record as new.

Some channels flag the episode as 'new' meaning new to the channel - although it may have aired recently on a different channel.

Last edited by ozsat; 20-03-2024 at 05:45.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote